cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a local pickup item listed. A potential buyer wants it shipped across the country.

I have a side table listed as local pickup - it is approximately 26x26x26 and weights about 35 -50 pounds. With local pickup, I understand INAD, not received, etc. are not really options (with some exceptions). I have the table listed at a lower price simply due to the market I am in not supporting its potential full value. However, someone on the West Coast is asking about shipping it. I have never done a local pickup much less changing it to a shipping option. I would most likely take it to a local shipping store for packaging and shipping. I do not want to be stuck with large shipping fees, etc. if the potential buyer were to decide this item is not what they want. and were to try to file an INAD. What would be the best way to ensure that responsibility for the item transfers to the Buyer? I am considering providing them the name & # of the local shipping store and having them arrange payment for the packaging & shipping fees directly with the store.  What is best way to avoid an INAD for this type of situation and to switch from local PU to shipping?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I have a local pickup item listed. A potential buyer wants it shipped across the country.

if you ship this across the country and the buyer says NAD then you are on the hook for free return shipping

I woud not do it.................its just asking for trouble

there is no way to transfer responsibility to the buyer with the MBG

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

There is NO way to transfer the responsibility to the buyer.

And there is NO way to make sure he won't claim NAD and return it at your expense.

I completely agree with 1tuna.  The reason you had to list for local PU only is the same reason you should not agree to shipping.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@rlan456 wrote:

I am considering providing them the name & # of the local shipping store and having them arrange payment for the packaging & shipping fees directly with the store.  What is best way to avoid an INAD for this type of situation and to switch from local PU to shipping?

You don't. Tell them that they are free to arrange a pickup (you have no obligation to do the legwork yourself) and that you will happy to hand over the chair to anyone who shows up with cash in hand.

Local Pickup does not have to be by the buyer himself. He can designate anyone he wants to do the pickup for him. Just ensure that the pickup person pays you in cash; the buyer does not get to overpay you and then expect you to pay the shipping.

The reality is that this is unlikely to happen, even though it's technically do-able. I would just tell the (prospective?) buyer that it's Local Pickup only, and he would need to arrange his own shipping at his own expense. You will have no role in that.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You've already been given great advice so far from earlier posters.

Beware of people who want to purchase a Local Pickup item without even seeing it. It may not be a scam, but quite often it is. I am not sure where you are located in the US, but it sounds like it is quite a distance from you by your saying, "... someone on the West Coast is asking about shipping it". I would consider this a very red flag.

Believe it or not, this is quite often a scam that is very often used on CraigsList with local pickup, offering what ends up as a bogus cashier's check with extra "shipping" included, without the buyer even showing up in person to see the item.

If you have local pickup listed, don't change your mind on that, and also insist on cash. That way you take out of the equation shipping scams, bogus cashier's checks, AND potential CC chargebacks even months down the road, that you will probably ultimately lose on a forced refund. Then you've lost your side table AND your money.

Keep it simple: Local Pickup and cash. It may take longer for your side table to be sold, but you are almost assured that you will not fall victim to a shipping hassle or scam, or a payment refund problem down the road.

You can also use local venues , like CraigsList, but be aware of the scammers on there as well. Common sense is your best protection.

Cheers,

Duffy

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the replies! I will refuse the request and insist on pickup with cash only.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

And to arrange his own packing as well.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Limit the jerk even more.  Make sure pick up times are specific; like 4-6 pm only.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You must not be aware you can no longer insist on cash only for local pickups. eBay says you must offer an electronic method of payment for pickups.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply