cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It Wrong to Make Most of Your Money Off of the Shipping Price

I run an eBay store, phenomenal_sells, that is focused mainly on selling wheat pennies. Most are auctions starting at one cent, with a $2.77 shipping price.

The other day, someone came to my eBay store and began bidding on things, and asked if I combine shipping. Obviously, if I did so, I would make no profit, as I am selling pennies for face value. He could buy my entire eBay store for about a dollar if I combined shipping.

I explained that I can't do that, but eBay also made me ship the two pennies in the same envelope. I feel that when he receives it, he will feel cheated.

Should I feel bad for this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is It Wrong to Make Most of Your Money Off of the Shipping Price

In your case maybe no. Larger items yes. There is an item for c .99 I saw elsewhere but the seller wants $130 usps. Insane and not worth buying that rip.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I agree with the previous poster.  In your case I wouldn't feel bad about it.  When I saw your title I assumed you were one of the people who tried to sell items listing retail shipping costs.  I don't think those people sell anything.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with your model.  In your case.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

My .02 cents worth , ( plus $5.54 s/h)

I can honestly say that I would not purchase 2, 3, or more pennies knowing that every one of those will be shipped individually, along  with my total out-of-pocket cost blown totally beyond the value of the items themselves.

I'm looking at this from the buyer's perspective , no one wants to buy 2, 3, 4, 10 of an item and then pay seperate shipping and in seperate packaging.

If I was to win/ buy 10 pennies, I certainly don't expect ( nor would I want) to pay the postage I'd have  pay to receive a candlepin  bowling ball. I would absolutely feel cheated after paying $27 to basically ship me .10 cents.

I understand sellers needing to make a profit, don't get me wrong. But I'd rethink the strategy of not combining shipping and think about  pricing your coins closer to a value which you'd like to receive. 

FWIW, I purchase collectible coins frequently, and in bulk. Almost all of sellers combine shipping and price the per unit cost accordingly, and don't have a problem making a good profit.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Welp, disregard my previous post.  Spark-chaser makes more sense.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply