cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping HS Tariff Code - What is This & Why is it Incomplete?

For those of you that do not use ebay International because of it's broken nature in not allowing countries "approved" for use to be shipped to (United Kingdom) & do ship via the USPS - do you take your items directly or do you print labels via ebay? I tried to do postage with ebay & it wanted some broken & incomplete HS Tariff Code number that does not exist within its defined list for the category merchandise I sold. USPS does not require this madness - why does ebay need to use this?

Item I sold was a Transforming Robot Toy Action Figure (used).

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@kalyoth wrote:

For those of you that do not use ebay International because of it's broken nature in not allowing countries "approved" for use to be shipped to (United Kingdom) & do ship via the USPS - do you take your items directly or do you print labels via ebay? I tried to do postage with ebay & it wanted some broken & incomplete HS Tariff Code number that does not exist within its defined list for the category merchandise I sold. USPS does not require this madness - why does ebay need to use this?

Item I sold was a Transforming Robot Toy Action Figure (used).

First off, UK is no longer part of the EU so the tariff codes are not required. But if you insist on adding it, for your item the number is 9503.00 (toys).

If you are buying your postage at the post office you are paying way too much. eBay, Pirateship, Paypal, Shipstation and a whole lot of other will provide significant discounts.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Two questions. So I don't need the hs tariff code if I'm shipping to South Korea? And what is the code for video games? I found the one for video game consoles but see nothing for video games. Please reply... 😔

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

First, you only need the codes for packages going to an EU country. South Korea does not need the code.

To find the codes go here

https://www.wcotradetools.org/en/harmonized-system\

It uses a simple search system. Enter one generic word at a time (DO NOT enter them all at once). Start with game, then video. You may have to experiment a bit but stay with generic terms. Do not get carried away with too much specificity. Hit enter after each word (it will open an additional "term" screen). After the last word click the search button.

HOWEVER you do not have to go "above and beyond". In your case I would simple describe it as a "novelty figurine" Too much information (i.e. Robot) will get you in trouble. I once sold a polyresin figurine. eBay prefilled the description with my eBay title "Figurine Statue Ancient Egypt Anubis God of Dead and Embalming NEW with gift box". The package was returned to me because "Egyptian works of art can not be exported". So I relabeled it "Novelty figurine" and it went through just fine.

As for myself I sell a lot of jigsaw puzzles. I simply use 9503.00 which is the catch-all for Toys. It is also the same number I gave you in my previous posting. My written  description simply says "Jigsaw puzzle". I have never gone beyond that and never had a problem.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply