cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR - USPS tracking shows "Alert - Awaiting Delivery Scan"

Hello,

I sold a low value (~ $25) item to a buyer November 10th. Due to the holiday it was shipped November 12th by USPS First Class Mail. The tracking number is: 9400108205496867876592

USPS:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=9400108205496867...

I received no communication from the buyer until last night when he opened a request for "Item Not Received". In the request he said something to the effect of (paraphrasing) "I really want the item, not a refund, the tracking is strange, it never shows as having been delivered and I have NOT been out of town"

Since it has been roughly three weeks since the last USPS update I can't imagine they're going to be able to do much but I'm going to call soon to find out.

Thoughts?

I'm guessing this was something that was delivered or "misdelivered" and never scanned in??

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

I have one of these going on as a buyer, mine reads exactly the same way on the tracking notes and I can assure you it has not arrived and safely nestled under my tree.

You may want to go to your PO and advise them of the situation if you have not already. Not saying that will help but who know.

As to why its happening, there are several possible reasons but any of them will not matter much in the end.

I cannot say what your buyer will do but I will be placing an item not received request and it will be granted.

I am also a seller so I know it's most likely not the sellers fault. I have NEVER left a negative or neutral feedback for a seller in such a case. I cannot remember giving a negative feedback ever to be honest. Having said that I have reached out to the seller and they have totally blown me off. Its just amazing to me....

I hope YOU are communicating with the buyer. It seems you are.

Good luck

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the response,

I believe the buyer, I just wish they didn't wait until three weeks AFTER the last "Awaiting delivery" scan to contact me as it is less likely now USPS will be able to locate or recover the package.

I did open an inquiry with USPS and got a case number. I'll provide that to the buyer and let them know USPS said they'd follow up in 2-3 business days.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I had a similar problem with my package being shipped out of GA on 11/30.  On 12/4, the tracking update side the package would be arriving late and in transit.  No scans after 12/4.  I live in OH.

On 12/6, I googled usps shipping problems and came across these sites.   On the "downdetector" site, using my tracking number, the person answering questions, updated me on the status of my package.  The package got moving and was scanned on 12/7 in Akron, OH.  Today, on 12/8 the package was scanned at the downtown Cleveland Facility.  Most likely, I will receive the package tomorrow.

Thumbs up!   

You may have to copy and paste the links in your browser.

https://downdetector.com/status/usps/ 

https://istheservicedown.com/problems/usps/map 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@lilbama911 wrote:

I had a similar problem with my package being shipped out of GA on 11/30.  On 12/4, the tracking update side the package would be arriving late and in transit.  No scans after 12/4.  I live in OH.

On 12/6, I googled usps shipping problems and came across these sites.   On the "downdetector" site, using my tracking number, the person answering questions, updated me on the status of my package.  The package got moving and was scanned on 12/7 in Akron, OH.  Today, on 12/8 the package was scanned at the downtown Cleveland Facility.  Most likely, I will receive the package tomorrow.

Thumbs up!   

You may have to copy and paste the links in your browser.

https://downdetector.com/status/usps/ 

https://istheservicedown.com/problems/usps/map 

I tried that website but I didn't get any help. Honestly I'm not sure if the person responding is an actual USPS employee or just relaying information from the USPS website.

But I did call USPS and they opened an inquiry and gave me a request number.

A day later I got an e-mail stating that they were looking into it and a day after that I got a resolution e-mail stating that the item was not found, that it was either lost OR delivered but not scanned.

Only a $25 item so I'll gladly refund willingly rather then be forced to and get my metrics slammed.

Like I mentioned earlier I would have felt better had the buyer contacted me within a week of the estimated delivery date rather then almost a month later. I can't imagine USPS put any effort into locating this itemUSPSdadav5828.pngUSPSservicerequestresolution.png

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Dishonest buyers take advantage of not scanned package, I see it all the time. They always want "the item", and not the refund thinking that it will be less suspicious. Selling online (or in general) is all about honesty, so we are at a mercy of it. But karma is a Bit*, so those dishonest ones will pay later. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I tend to believe the buyer - somewhat - in this case. And the seller completely. I sit on tracking numbers until I'm watching the mail lady activate my security cameras (Yes!) It's here) Why the buyer waited three weeks is quite suspicious since he "really wanted the item." Regardless, my opinion of the package's status is it's gone. Damaged beyond recovery/address/tracking number destroyed/stolen, etc In a recent experience, I used a heavy paper USPS envelope to mail my wife's great niece and nephew a little paperback Halloween/ghost story book. Tracking showed it arrived in their Texas city a week ahead of H'ween. Great. It sat in their city's distribution center for three days. Three.... one tw..... three. Then it came back to my state of SC. Is it being returned to me? Then it shows up again in their Tx city, then arrives at their house on Halloween. Whew. Man, that was close. The children were both ill, so I didn't expect them to read it that day. A week goes by and we ask about the book. My wife's niece said the package arrived. But she didn't want to tell us there were no book inside! (I was so friggin' disappointed for them. I'd promised them that very book when they visited this summer! Arg!! They were so excited to be getting a book from where pirates and ghosts roam) My point being, if the tracking label is still intact, they can find it. If not, as in this case, I think it goes to the USPS insurance carrier who in turn will be paying your claim. Hopefully. Oh, my resume' - 11 years with UPS. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I've had that happen a few times.  What the post office told me is that the item got to the correct destination post office, but got dispatched to the wrong route driver.  So it was scanned 'Out for Delivery' but of course that driver couldn't deliver it because the addressee is not on his/her route.  That driver brings it back to the post office and it would normally be dispatched correctly the next day.  I was also told that "Awaiting Delivery Scan" is an automatically computer generated scan when an item isn't delivered by the end of the day that it went out for delivery.  In my case they eventually got a delivery scan.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply