cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sent out an empty box, how to request a return to sender (me) ?

I sent out an empty box by mistake. How to get it back before delivery is complete?
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I sent out an empty box, how to request a return to sender (me) ?

If you shipped USPS, you can go online to the USPS website and request a package intercept. Fee is roughly $13.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If you shipped USPS, you can go online to the USPS website and request a package intercept. Fee is roughly $13.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Why do you want to pay extra money to get back an empty box?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@librarypaced wrote:
I sent out an empty box by mistake. How to get it back before delivery is complete?

It is not worth the hassle and expense to get it back.  Instead, you send out a second shipment.

You message the user telling them that they are getting two packages.  In the message, indicated that there was a mistake with the first shipment, and the customer's order was not put in the box ... the second package will contain their order.  Make sure the tracking number for the second package is uploaded to the customer and to eBay.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Why would you intercept an empty box?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Why would you intercept an empty box?

Not gonna work. He asked a question and I answered it. I personally don’t care why HE wants to intercept it. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Ok, why do you want to intercept the empty package?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I assume the seller felt it is the right thing to do and to save face with the  buyer.  They may have not know there is a USPS charge to do so. 

The OP should be up front and  promptly contact the buyer, preferably by phone  (teh # can be  obtained thru eBay since they are  in a transaction together) - and  explain their mistake, apologize and offer the buyer two  options:  1.)  resend the  purchase - possibly at a faster USPS service, if possible - I'm think  upgrade from FCP to  Priority service or Priority Express - and  use the `$13.00  the y would have to pay for retrieving a empty package  2.)  ask the buyer to request a cancellation of the purchase, the OP accepts and fully refund the buyer - this way the OP does not receive a defect.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Just ship the item.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

1.  Can't the OP has the item. 

2.  Being proactive is always a better way to  handle issues like this.  The item purchased may have been for a special ocassion that may have already passed or will pass before the real one can get there.

In fewer wordss "When in doubt do the right thing."

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

The fee itself is $13.45, plus the cost of Priority postage to return the item to you. 

Ref: https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

I share the collective puzzlement over why the empty box needs to be returned... as well as how it managed to get shipped that way in the first place...?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

The fee itself is $13.45, plus the cost of Priority postage to return the item to you. 

Ref: https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

I share the collective puzzlement over why the empty box needs to be returned... as well as how it managed to get shipped that way in the first place...?

You don't have to pay for priority shipping on the returned shipment if you originally shipped it via priority express, priority or first class mail--"All intercepted items are redirected as Priority Mail®. You must pay the applicable Priority Mail postage, except when the item was originally sent using Priority Mail Express®, Priority Mail, or First-Class Mail®."

Maybe the OP is trying to do damage control and avoid the buyer thinking he's an empty box scammer?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Maybe the OP is trying to do damage control and avoid the buyer thinking he's an empty box scammer?

... to void out the tracking number to the original delivery as soon as possible before sending out the correct delivery. Yeah I didn't know it had to be returned via Priority Mail. Do intercepted letters have to be returned in the same way?

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Handling 4 deliveries simultaneously and trying to take less than 30 minutes.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Message the buyer to not open the package and write "refused" on it. If that is done the package is returned to the seller w/o any extra postage.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply