cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm kind of offended by this message I got from eBay. Deets inside. Returning items.

In 2017, I have 177 purchases on eBay. 2 transactions out of those 177 have been canceled/returned. 

I recently bought some boots on eBay, and they are perfect....they just don't fit right. I am probably just going to sell them myself since that's my MO, but I wanted to see what the fees associated with a return would be....totally out of curiosity. When I click the link to return I get a message (pic attached) that I am responsible for all fees and return charges because there has been SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY associated with my returns. I was totally expecting to have fees to return, and I get many returns myself. That's not the issue. Since when is 2 out of 177 transactions suspicious?! What is up with this? I tried to contact eBay via an e-mail or something, but no dice.

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend and making lots of ca$h. 🙂

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I'm kind of offended by this message I got from eBay. Deets inside. Returning items.

Wow! That has to be a glitch of some sort. If your details are correct, that has to be a glitch!  I've never heard of someone being kicked out of the MBG (and this appears to be what this means, but I could be very wrong) for only two returns.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

It said "unusual", not suspicious, but that is certainly a rude and foolish message from eBay, even if there was something unusual about the activity.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@the.archive - were the returns back to back?  I've read that there is a "limit" insofar as returns are concerned, however, the exact number is unknown to me.  The only other thing that I can think of is perhaps the Seller has his/her return policy set up for remorse/fit that the buyer pays return shipping.

This is a WOW for me too.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Doesn't seem right in your case. Never saw that before. On the plus side does this mean Ebay might be cracking down on serial return buyers? OP I'm not calling you a serial return buyer with only 2 returns. Ebay screw up again ? If they are starting to get tough with returns isn't it just like them to send an email to the wrong buyer. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I'm sorry. It does say "unusual". Which, to me, is still uncalled for.

I had one the beginning of September (which was a cancellation due to my error), and the next was a couple of days ago for a low-dollar (25$) item that came with a hole in it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Even though I don't have any answers still, it makes me feel better.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I would venture to say it is because someone reported you for returning something that they beleived was nothing wrong AND you are selling the same type of item.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

eBay is like a 2-year-old child: it says things without any thought at all for the consequences. I'm sure you've seen the consternation about their recent accusations about off-site sales, 99% of which are just dead wrong. "Tact" is not in eBay's dictionary.

If the seller offers returns, eBay has no right to deprive you of that protection when used in good faith. Shoe sellers should expect a high number of returns. There is no way to predict how a shoe will fit until you try it on.

Do not allow eBay to discourage you from using the service you paid for. Proceed with the return.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@midnight_mystic wrote:

eBay is like a 2-year-old child: it says things without any thought at all for the consequences. I'm sure you've seen the consternation about their recent accusations about off-site sales, 99% of which are just dead wrong. "Tact" is not in eBay's dictionary.

If the seller offers returns, eBay has no right to deprive you of that protection when used in good faith. Shoe sellers should expect a high number of returns. There is no way to predict how a shoe will fit until you try it on.

Do not allow eBay to discourage you from using the service you paid for. Proceed with the return.

Actually, a return for a matter of fit is classified as a "buyer's remorse" return, provided the listing gave the correct sizes as listed on the product.  (Buyers are presumed to know their correct size when ordering.)  Because the return is being request because of buyer's remorse it does not qualify under the MBG program.  If the seller has a no return policy, the seller would be within his or her rights to deny the return.

With regard to the message from eBay received by the OP, I have no idea why they would send something like that.  Alas!  It appears that eBay's faith in AI may be leading to some interesting communications between bots and people.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

This is the first I've ever heard of anyone getting that and posting what it looked like.  I have heard of some buyers being banned from the money back guarantee, but yours is a regular remorse return.  Had you already chosen a reason for the return to show it wasn't a not as described (MBG) return?

Possibly the other returns you had were too close together and raised a red flag.  You mentioned one in Sept and one last week, so this was another within a week?  Still makes no sense, though,  if they weren't MBG returns.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

What "fees"???  Sellers can't withhold any fees from a refund!  Get with your own program, eBay.

OP, a seller probably reported you for misuse of the MBG/return process.

I understand your reluctance to continue buying on eBay...way to chase off buyers, eBay!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the info, guys. Yes, the more I think of it, the last seller must have reported me for doing something wrong. That is just total speculation, though. I even sent them pictures of the flaw, so they would have documentation. I understand it's frustrating to get a return, but reporting everyone who does so in your store is ridiculous.

It could also be a problem with back-to-back returns (one as a 'INAD' and one as a 'doesn't fit') too close together? Either way, it doesn't seem profitable for eBay to make returns such a hassle for someone who takes like a million a week...obviously not literally! It's just the cost of doing business. I guess I will consider buying from Amazon or something if it's something expensive. Still love bae, though. 🙂

Have a great week. Bring home the bucks!! 🙂

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Me too!!! And the only things I've returned are things that the seller sold me that didn't work when I got it, or had been the wrong item. I'm trying to return an order that the seller had sent me the wrong shoes by accident and it's telling me the same message. It must be something wrong with their system but it's like RUDE, I feel offended! And I don't like that it's on all my time to correct it- it's ebay's screw up... and the only fix is to call them I guess?? Ew. **bleep**.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

What "fees"???  Sellers can't withhold any fees from a refund!  

Maybe that is referring to possible restocking fees.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I would call them, but every time I do they have NO CLUE what I'm talking about. For instance, when someone doesn't ship a return back in time, you have to call and get the return closed. Last week, the call took about a minute. A month ago, when I was on vacation, the call took 20 minutes. You never know. So frustrating; it just depends on who you get. I really wish eBay would offer a chat or a support e-mail. I don't have time to sit around on the phone, but don't mind waiting 24 hours to get a *correct*, helpful answer.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply