cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like some help in lowering shipping costs.

Hi, I'd love some ideas to lower shipping rates.  The USPS box medium is 13.60 and the large priorty shipping box is 18.something.  That is so expensive unless there is something really heavy.  The only thought I have is to list free shipping, so regardless if it is in my zone or across the country I've already factored in the price.
Are there other ways I can think about shipping.  The small items I can put in a padded envelope.  I see some very low shipping costs, though not sure how they get them so low.
I need tracking.
I also won't know the zone until bought, as you all know.
Is there any logic to getting big padded bags, or reusing non-priority boxes.
I know I will figure it out.  I'm just at the brain fog stage.  Thanks very much... vintagegenie

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: I like some help in lowering shipping costs.

The rates you quote are for the "flat rate" services; using the 'calculated shipping' for priority (you need to enter weight and dimensions in advance) will cost about half as much, unless the shipment is relatively heavy or going across the country. Most sizes of free 'regular' priority boxes are not stocked in the lobby of your local Post Office, but you can go to the store section of the USPS website and find a wide selection and they will send them to you free. If you have your own boxes, you can also use first class mail for lightweight packages.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thanks, so this is helping with a couple of parts here of my question.
I'm thinking that I need to do some footwork and go to the post office and get an idea of what some of the non-flat rate would go for.  I was on USPS site and I'm assuming that tracking doesn't automatically come with first class mail.  I guess I have to experiment.  I need to figure this out before listing, for sure.
This is helpful... if there is any other advice, I'm open to it.  thanks..

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You can't lower costs -- each carrier sets the rates. But you can determine which options are best suited to your products and the customer's needs. Likewise, packaging costs money. It's up to you to find vendors and to buy in quantity in order to get the best price. No-cost packaging is also available -- you just have to know how and where to get it. Other solutions:

Calculated shipping. Regional A & B boxes. Recycled boxes, packing chips, bubble wrap and scrap cardboard.

Offer choices. First Class vs. Priority Mail. Media Mail when applicable.

"Free shipping" means "shipping included." Bad idea unless you have factored in the wide range of variable costs in advance. OK for fixed-rate options. Tracking is FREE for all domestic packages but not applicable to letters or flats.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

https://postcalc.usps.com/DomesticZoneChart

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

There is no reason to go to the post office.  All of the rates are available online.

First Class packages do include tracking for free.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@vintagegenie wrote:

Thanks, so this is helping with a couple of parts here of my question.
I'm thinking that I need to do some footwork and go to the post office and get an idea of what some of the non-flat rate would go for.  I was on USPS site and I'm assuming that tracking doesn't automatically come with first class mail.  I guess I have to experiment.  I need to figure this out before listing, for sure.
This is helpful... if there is any other advice, I'm open to it.  thanks..

First class packages have free tracking.

As already mentioned, most of the NON-flat rate boxes are NOT stocked at the Post Office. Go to the USPS web site to shop for them.

If you can weigh your items, and figure out what size box they'll fit in, you can see what calculated shipping will cost to different parts of the country.

I think you're looking at this as being more complicated than it actually is. Just take one step at a time.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I learned the old fashioned way.  Hey is for HORSES also.  
so these days, dating me, saying I'm going to have a 'convo' instead of conversation is new to me.
Thanks for all the help you all are giving me...

This is what I love about the eBay community, and people in general.  Thank you so much.
P.S.  For the person who said that I don't have to go to the Post Office.  My husband tells me this.  I still learn better this way.  I know it's crazy, I'm headed there right now to get a box to try to save my buyer some money.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@vintagegenie wrote:

I learned the old fashioned way.  Hey is for HORSES also.  
so these days, dating me, saying I'm going to have a 'convo' instead of conversation is new to me.
Thanks for all the help you all are giving me...

This is what I love about the eBay community, and people in general.  Thank you so much.
P.S.  For the person who said that I don't have to go to the Post Office.  My husband tells me this.  I still learn better this way.  I know it's crazy, I'm headed there right now to get a box to try to save my buyer some money.  

It's very unlikely that they'll have that money-saving box. But good luck. Also be aware that you don't have to use a USPS box to send something by Priority Mail.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I'm old.  Terribly set in my ways. I learn by experience, too.  But to traipse all the way to the PO to get a box they don't stock is not part of my game plan.

Oh well.  "You can lead a horse to water but . . . ."  Sigh.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

1. You've mentioned that flat rate boxes are $13.60 & $18.85 for the med and large. It appears you are paying for postage at a post office as those are retail rates.

Use eBay labels instead as the rates are cheaper. Commercial Plus is $12.05 and $16.55.

Its also much faster - just drop the packages off. Time is money is it not?

2. Get a monotone laser printer to print labels on plain printer paper - two to a sheet. Make sure the laser printer has a separate drum and toner cartridge so you do not pay for replacing the drum every time you replace a cartridge. A large capacity cartridge will print thousands of labels. By paper by the case - a local store has rebates on such paper here resulting in a cost of just over a $1.00 a ream.

Don't use a inkjet. Ink costs way more.

3. Get a USPS online account and order various box sizes, envelopes, etc... - Regular Priority, Flat, Regional, etc...

4. When printing labels be sure to check alternatives such as regional, which you can't specifically add to a listing.

5. Invest in some software such as GarageSale (Mac) and then use calculated shipping.

Create a series of reusable templates based upon shipping scenarios that you then simply duplicate.  A single template could by default list rates for regular Priority Mail, Parcel Select, and a Flat Rate Medium box, which will all be displayed to the buyer for comparison since flat rate boxes may or may not be cheaper than regular rates depending upon the destination zip code and weight.

Don't use fixed or free shipping unless you've got some experience under your belt. Can you look at a item or simply place it on a scale and in most visualize in your mind how it should be packaged and what the given packaging is going to add to the basic item weight? If not, then don't try using flat or free as you will get burned financially.

Assuming you were to use GarageSale one could create templates for 8 ounce and under packages and 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 ounce packages. Because eBay will incorrectly shows a Priority Mail rate for First Class Packages at the 14 to 15.999 weights create a single template for those weights using a flat rate of your choice which is at least $4.30 (update this price as shipping prices go up). This way customers will not see eBay's higher priced mistake and instead see a lower cost and be more likely to buy. You are now done creating any First Class shipping templates and all you need to do is duplicate one of those template and add specific item details. Perhaps work on just 1st Class for while until you know it like the back of your hand?

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 6.17.42 PM.png

You can of course customize further. Lets say you regularly sell a particular collectible that ships out via 1st Class Package Services and all these items share commonly repeatedly information. Create a second set of 1st Class Package templates like the first, but with that repeated information already filled in.

Here's part of a sample book template that uses a css generated table to easily display common traits shared by books. Instead of typing in "title, author," and so forth for every book its already completed.

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 6.36.22 PM.png

6. Obtain free boxes from local store for shipping Parcel Select & Media; creating inner shipping boxes or wraps; creating outer wraps; spacers; corner and sidewall reinforcers; etc...

7. I frankly only use the padded envelope if I can first pack the item inside a box or cardboard sleeve and insert it into the padded envelope in an effort to simply save on the shipping rates. The padded envelope provides little protection at all on its own. Keep in mind your item may have other items fall on it during the sorting process and be tossed into carts - seen both.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I would suggest revising the shipping for the listing:

NORWALK CT Price and Lee City Directory 1969

It appears you have Media Mail listed. Media Mail can't includ advertising thus if USPS opens your package the buyer may be seeing a postage due notice notice for Priority Mail.

Should be Prioirity Mail and Parcel Select. Flat Rate box if it will fit.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You won't learn anything at the post office.

And the post office don't have any boxes that will save you money.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

We are subsidizing the chinese for their shipping.

Its crazy.

I suggest open a warehouse in China and ship from there,its much cheaper than shipping out of the US

Message 13 of 13
latest reply