cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I dropped my package off at USPS 3 days ago, tracking still says pre-shipment. What do I do?!

Basically my title says everything. I purchased a label for my buyer of my GTX 1070 Graphics Card, fully insured it and secured the label on to a box. Dropped it off at USPS in the morning, and the tracking has still not been updated, it was Priority Mail 3 day. It still says pre-shipment awaiting package.

How worried should I be? I know USPS only guarantees a scan at the time of delivery, so I'm just in need of help

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: I dropped my package off at USPS 3 days ago, tracking still says pre-shipment. What do I do?!

The USPS is very reliable, and a failed delivery is very rare.  So, I wouldn't be concerned about delivery. 

I've had thousands of succesful deliveries with USPS, and only one time did a buyer claim they didn't receive a package ... tracking showed delivered, but this particular buyer had multiple instances of problems with delivery (theft? lying?).

As a new seller selling items over $500, you have a higher probability of scam, theft, switch fraud, etc. than a problem with USPS delivery.  I'm not trying to scare you because most transactions go off without a problem, but if you want to worry about something, then  ... well ... all I'm saying is that the USPS is not what you should be concerned about.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: I dropped my package off at USPS 3 days ago, tracking still says pre-shipment. What do I do?!

Yeah my buyer has a good rep on this site, and also I'm just going off the USPS tracking, you're saying I should just chill out regardingthe lack of updates of tracking?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@petegeorga_0 wrote:

Yeah my buyer has a good rep on this site, and also I'm just going off the USPS tracking, you're saying I should just chill out regardingthe lack of updates of tracking?

Yeah.   Some parts of the USPS system are modern and tracking happens every time the package arrives/departs a facility ... other parts are so archaic that you may not see tracking until it is finally delivered.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I went into the USPS office today where I dropped it off and they said it's been shipped so I guess Iwas just a bit paranoid.

Thank you!>

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I just checked my "Informed Delivery" page at usps.com.  Of the last 7 packages that were delivered, 6 of them never had any tracking other than the "Pre-shipment" designation.  I'm guessing USPS has just stopped scanning packages.  

I guess I'll start standing in line at the Post Office to get my packages scanned - bummer.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ohhhh.... I know where this is going...

USPS is going to start charging an extra fee to have trackable packages.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have constant problems with usps. They are increasingly unreliable. Especially over the last 5 months.

They will not scan my packages at the door. eBay told me that USPS is suppose to scan our packages at our doors if they pick up at home. I constantly have packages that do not show a scan in 2, 3, 4 days.

I schedule shipping every night for next day pick up and I have days when they don't pick up mail. I have a camera at my door and they simply don't show up. Local USPS manager is of no help.

They sometimes get the first scan in a city on it's way. I have received defects for this. Some I have been able to get removed.

Lack of scanning is a big issue as far as I am concerned. Especially as our customers have grown to expect fast shipping and the ability to attract.

I ship quick so I should not have issues but I do.

USPS is a joke. They will continue to increase prices and be unreliable.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

Basically my title says everything. I purchased a label for my buyer of my GTX 1070 Graphics Card, fully insured it and secured the label on to a box. Dropped it off at USPS in the morning, and the tracking has still not been updated, it was Priority Mail 3 day. It still says pre-shipment awaiting package.

How worried should I be? I know USPS only guarantees a scan at the time of delivery, so I'm just in need of help

I usually stand in line to get a scan, but yesterday, there was a big line and hubby was waiting in the car, so I put my package in the inside bin. Still says pre-shipment now 28 hours later. Usually has reached the Kansas City Hub by now even if the origin Post Office fails to scan, so I am a bit concerned. The item was only $10.00 and the buyer waited 5 days to pay, but it still bothers me. I never ship late. I have one ding because the buyer requested I wait one week to ship. I have three day shipping, so hopefully something updates by Tuesday!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Check the tracking on the USPS site, there can be significant delays in the information getting to eBay's system at times.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

Check the tracking on the USPS site, there can be significant delays in the information getting to eBay's system at times.

I did check USPS and it is still showing Pre-Shipment. I am definitely standing in line today. Just so aggravating. The lady at the Post Office swears they scan all of the items from the inside package bin before they leave the Post Office, but before I started standing in line for my scans, it was about 50% scanned from the bin. I hope this doesn’t give me a shipping ding. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

TELL ME ABOUT IT!  I shipped 8 packages - only two tracking after a week!  and those are just the FIRST CLASS ones!  So much for "priority mail".

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

I just checked my "Informed Delivery" page at usps.com.  Of the last 7 packages that were delivered, 6 of them never had any tracking other than the "Pre-shipment" designation.  I'm guessing USPS has just stopped scanning packages.  

I guess I'll start standing in line at the Post Office to get my packages scanned - bummer.

I stand in line every time to get scanned. I had 30 packages delayed in the last 2 weeks, because there was a major snafu at the Miami sort facility. I called everyone and no one could give me an answer as to why my packages showed in transit, but no activity for a week. So, this means customers waited 2 to 3 weeks for their packages. Even though I sent them all emails and explained the issue, no one reads or cares. I still got 2 INR and emails "where's my package"!!   I have receipts showing all these packages were scanned and shipped on time, otherwise my account might be suspended by now.     

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

You just have to wait for it to be delivered. I have had this problem before.  When I take a delivery to the post office i have them scan it then. You can not trust them to do it if you are not there watching. Now if they pick it up from my mail box it always gets scanned.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply