cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I damage item due to poor packaging

I have not had this happen before in my 20 years of using ebay.

I purchase a trading card off ebay valued at $60.  I get the card today and carefully cut open the side and end up sheering off one of the corners.  I am absolutely livid right now that the seller would send such a high value item without putting it in a top loader or some sort of hard case protection. 

Now i fully admit that I'm idiot number 1 for opening said envelope with a pair of scissors.  My question is in a situation with 2 idiots (me being idiot 1 for opening it with scizzors) and the seller (being idiot 2 shipping a $60 with no protection).  Is idiot number 1 (me) solely responsible for the damage or does idiot number 2 bare some responsibility for shipping it so poorly??

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: I damage item due to poor packaging

That was very good I like your story , yes I agree he should have wrapped it better, sorry for your loss!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Lots of sellers do that. I so hate that but you damaged it so end of story. Learn and move on. Things are almost vacumm packed the in the tiniest of packages.

Just bought a laptop lcd screen and seller use used bubble wrap and small post office box. Well he did use one peice of cardboard on the back of it. So thus it was smashed.  Bubble wrap is a cushion not protection for a liguid filled screen. Just got my money back and not another lcd yet I requested one.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

In e-commerce retail, there are lots and lots of examples of customers who cut open a box with a knife ... and also cut right through the purchased item.   They often return it claiming that it was received damaged.

That is a lie.  I think it is your responsibility to open carefully and to avoid damaging the item.

That said, I am sensitive to damage that might happen upon opening, and I have a supply of stickers that I place on box seams if I think the item could be damaged by poor knife discipline ... I assume people still use knives, but they might be more careful. 

genproh042

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

That said, I am sensitive to damage that might happen upon opening, and I have a supply of stickers that I place on box seams if I think the item could be damaged by poor knife discipline ... I assume people still use knives, but they might be more careful. 

I open all of my packages as if I'm playing the game "Operation"

repairelectronics_1-1579712152862.jpeg

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Your fault for cutting the package rather trying to open along a seam
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Next time put the package near a light and see if it's ok to cut.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Years ago, I sold a Steve Carlton rookie card for what then was a lot of money. This was a mint card in the days before grading and plastic coffins for the cards.

My customer pays for the card. He carefully removes it from the holder. Proceeds to drop the card on the glass counter and seriously dings one of the corners.

Customer, "Any chance I can get my money back?"

Me: "No."
Message 8 of 8
latest reply