cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mark a package as an electronic item?

Hi, I had sold something for around 340. The buyer lives in Guam and to be quite honest, this is my first time hearing about Guam. I was talking with the seller and they’ve told me that if I marked it as an electronic item, the shippers would treat the package a little better. So I wanted to know how do I do that? 😅 a silly question but I genuinely wanna be informed for future packages as well, and so this package don’t take too long and it can arrive safely.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Guam is a US protectorate, you would ship as if it is going to another state in the US except you will need to fill out a customs form.
The customs form would be where you document what's inside the packaging. Writing it anywhere else would be redundant. Plus make it more appealing to thieves. 
If the electronic item contains any lithium batteries you may have a problem because they cant be shipped by air transport only surface like ground. 
If it doesn't contain lithium you're good to go. Congrats on your sale. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@campb_joant 

Except for the person that you hand it to, and when it gets to the PO of delivery it is handled by machines. The machines don't read what you write on the package, and do not care if you are shipping electronics, fragile glass, or an item made of stone.  Those actually handling the package are not likely to give it any different treatment if you write "electronics" on the package.

ETA: I have not had a customs form on a package for a USPS shipment to a US protectorate.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It's not an electrical item, so don't list it that way on the customs forms.

They wont look at the customs form to see what it is, they treat all packages the same.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 4
latest reply