cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with a returned package saying "addressee unknown"

I sold an item, was shipped out by first class mail. Was out for delivery on the 10th of july then tracking said "addressee unknown" and item was being returned back to sender. I received the item back on Monday. On the package was a sticker from the PO that said " No mail Receptacle, unable to forward, return to sender". I contacted the buyer and told him the situation and after a few days he responded with this from his Post office.

"Just walked over to the post office and asked, as far as they’re concerned it should have been delivered. It came into town on a Saturday when the main person is off, seems like it was probably human error. They said to re-send and made a note for the Saturday person that the address is valid."

How should I deal with this? Should I ask the buyer to repay for shipping considering this seems to be a issue with the temp person working for the buyers post office? I really don't have the time to go to the PO and stand in line to try and get this shipped back for free. I print my labels out at home and then drop the packages off at the local blue box "first class package". 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Should I ask the buyer to repay for shipping?

Yes, and if you can't figure that out you could cancel sale due to a problem with the buyers address, and refund him. Then ask for your FVFs back.

I recommed getting the information from the Post Office in question and not relying solely on what the buyer has told you.  I'd also google the address to see if there are issues.  

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I have googled the address and it comes up. I have already tried calling that PO and nobody ever answers the phone. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply