cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do you have to wait to close a unresponsive return request?

December 7th I got a return request from someone saying the item didn't work. I talked to them and after back and forth on the 8th they got the item working and that was it. They never responded since and I have called ebay a few times and each time I am told something different. 

When I called the 8th I was told it will automatically close the 9th, and after calling again today they say it will close the 14th. In the past I thought it was 30 total days, two representatives now tell me its 21 business days. However even with the holidays factored in I am still well over the 21 business day threshold and was wondering if anyone had some input in the matter so I can figure it out for any future issues?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I had same scenario recently and it took about a month; wasn't worried and best thing for you to do- is nothing. It will fall off eventually. If you push a refund closure, good chance eBays auto system will refund the buyer, including calls to CS.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Yeah, I was told that by one of the customer service reps, that if I pushed it, the system would automatically accept the return. My main concern is I would actually like to know what their policy is in these circumstance. as it stands it would appear their is no set policy and the system just closes it at whatever random date it chooses. Right now I am sitting on 37 total days, and 24 business days.

I am trying to take more time to understand ebay's policies so I get less frustrated when dealing with problems but for something that should be so simple and easy it seems I cannot get straight answers and the reps themselves don't even know the answers.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I don't believe they have a 'written' or 'published' policy, so if you ask CS, you will get different answers. I had one fall off in 8 days, one in 30+. Like I said, just ignore it, it will fall off. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You should never wait unless it is 100% beneficial to do so.

Call and have it closed at the earliest opportunity.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

788A22D9-03B1-4784-BA2F-19277F0CF66A.png

 It’s 21 business days 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

and risk a CS initiating a full refund to the buyer without return? I advised, and still do- against doing that. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

There ya go- there is a policy. 21 'working days' would be 4 weeks and a day (Sat/Sun) plus holidays won't count in that number. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

That's what two of them told me but the last guy was clueless as to why we were on business day 24 (even after accounting for New Years, and Christmas) and it still isn't closed. I obviously want to get it closed as soon as possible to avoid dishonest buyers abusing ebay's returns but I also as mentioned don't want to risk a rep triggering an automatic refund.  

If their policy states 21 business days I shouldn't have to keep wasting my time calling ebay 3 days after it should have been closed.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

and risk a CS initiating a full refund to the buyer without return? I advised, and still do- against doing that. 

Why would they do that?

Always call and close returns ASAP. Anything else is foolish.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply