cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does weighing and shipping at home work?

i am a noob at this and im wondering how this all works. Do you weigh the item before you post it and then print a shipping label for the exact weight you calculated? And what happens if you have an item that's like 10 pounds but you print the label 5pounds. I really just need a run down how this works.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How does weighing and shipping at home work?

@sinthavong113,

Chino & Deep have given you good advice. But there are a few things I would add. The materials you need to weigh pack and ship, often depends on what it is you are going to sell, and where you are going to ship to.

While digital scales are inexpensive, many have a maximum weight limit. If you envision selling some heavier items, buy a scale based on that, one that has a limit of say 20 lbs or larger if needed.  Don't buy the least expensive one, buy one in the mid price range you do not want it to fail on you.

Take advantage of the Free USPS boxes, which can be found on their site, and stock up on them. Order Fragile item and Priority Mail stickers whe you are at it.  Also haunting your local grocery store, wally world, and even home improvement stores is a good way to find boxes. I've learned the days and times my local stores, receive deliveries, and go box hunting usually the next day, when the stockers are working.  Since many of those boxes have bar codes on them get a large black marker to black them out. You do not want a package headed for Ohio, to end up in Timbuktu. Make sure the boxes you choose have flaps that meet at the tops and bottoms, and do not take ones where the outer smooth layer has torn exposing the corugation underneath.   Make sure to buy quality tape, some of the cheaper brands will not stay attached in extremes of temperatures, and wet weather. For larger and heavier items use strapping tape instead of plain shipping tape.

I print my labels on regular paper, instead of using USPS or other brands of self sticking labels and cover them with tape. I do cut off the parts of labels that say ebay or Paypal, in hopes packages without those identifiers will be passed up by porch pirates.

I also do not print the shipping cost on my labels, since they display the discounted amount paid for shipping if you print labels through eBay or PayPal.  There is a check box that asks if you want the postage displayed or not.  You can also check out other sites for buying and printing postage.  Stamps (dot) com is a good one. 

What materials you use for your interior packing material, should depend on the size weight and fragility of the item.  If you are selling a boxed collectible, that has inserts to hold the item in place wrapping the item's box in a plastic store bag(s) to prevent water damage, then surrounding the box with more store bags or even newspaper will work.  Use the proper size of bubble wrap for an item as well. do not use the small 3/16 wrap for hevy items, or the larger 1/2" wrap for items that have delicate apendages, that could snag on the bubbles. If you pack items too tightly you can loose the cushioning effect of your packing material. If there is too much left over room the item could shift and be damaged.

For items that are heavier or require large boxes, you can set up the shipping to be selected by the buyer, Ex; Priority Mail or Parcel Select. You have to create (shipping rules) for the types of shipping you will offer, then select from them when creating your listing.  I live in the Eastern US, so I check the differences in costs, to see if there is enough savings to offer two shipping options or not, by checking the postage to California 90210, as a test. During the holiday season, I take a selling break around Dec.15, to give my packages plenty of time to arrive before Christmas.

Good luck.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You need to find a box or envelope your item will fit into and weigh it along with the item and all packing materials you will be using. Then, when you list the item, use calculated shipping so buyers will see the exact cost to their zip code.

You never print a shipping label until your item is sold and paid for.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Digital scales are quite inexpensive.

Weigh the item and packaging prior to listing. At this pont I already know how much the packing is going to add so I just weigh the item and add however many ounces I think it will take in packaging.

If you are using USPS, they will charge you for any underpayment. They used to send it postage due.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@sinthavong113,

Chino & Deep have given you good advice. But there are a few things I would add. The materials you need to weigh pack and ship, often depends on what it is you are going to sell, and where you are going to ship to.

While digital scales are inexpensive, many have a maximum weight limit. If you envision selling some heavier items, buy a scale based on that, one that has a limit of say 20 lbs or larger if needed.  Don't buy the least expensive one, buy one in the mid price range you do not want it to fail on you.

Take advantage of the Free USPS boxes, which can be found on their site, and stock up on them. Order Fragile item and Priority Mail stickers whe you are at it.  Also haunting your local grocery store, wally world, and even home improvement stores is a good way to find boxes. I've learned the days and times my local stores, receive deliveries, and go box hunting usually the next day, when the stockers are working.  Since many of those boxes have bar codes on them get a large black marker to black them out. You do not want a package headed for Ohio, to end up in Timbuktu. Make sure the boxes you choose have flaps that meet at the tops and bottoms, and do not take ones where the outer smooth layer has torn exposing the corugation underneath.   Make sure to buy quality tape, some of the cheaper brands will not stay attached in extremes of temperatures, and wet weather. For larger and heavier items use strapping tape instead of plain shipping tape.

I print my labels on regular paper, instead of using USPS or other brands of self sticking labels and cover them with tape. I do cut off the parts of labels that say ebay or Paypal, in hopes packages without those identifiers will be passed up by porch pirates.

I also do not print the shipping cost on my labels, since they display the discounted amount paid for shipping if you print labels through eBay or PayPal.  There is a check box that asks if you want the postage displayed or not.  You can also check out other sites for buying and printing postage.  Stamps (dot) com is a good one. 

What materials you use for your interior packing material, should depend on the size weight and fragility of the item.  If you are selling a boxed collectible, that has inserts to hold the item in place wrapping the item's box in a plastic store bag(s) to prevent water damage, then surrounding the box with more store bags or even newspaper will work.  Use the proper size of bubble wrap for an item as well. do not use the small 3/16 wrap for hevy items, or the larger 1/2" wrap for items that have delicate apendages, that could snag on the bubbles. If you pack items too tightly you can loose the cushioning effect of your packing material. If there is too much left over room the item could shift and be damaged.

For items that are heavier or require large boxes, you can set up the shipping to be selected by the buyer, Ex; Priority Mail or Parcel Select. You have to create (shipping rules) for the types of shipping you will offer, then select from them when creating your listing.  I live in the Eastern US, so I check the differences in costs, to see if there is enough savings to offer two shipping options or not, by checking the postage to California 90210, as a test. During the holiday season, I take a selling break around Dec.15, to give my packages plenty of time to arrive before Christmas.

Good luck.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply