cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you ship postcards or very light items w/o losing your TRS status because of lack of tracking

Today I have two postcards to send out, not my usual selling items but sometimes I do sell one or two.  I received $5 for both (that includes shipping) if I print a label with tracking it will take $2.61 out of my profit when they could just ship for a stamp.  What do you do?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do you ship postcards or very light items w/o losing your TRS status because of lack of trac

Thank you, I was afraid of that.  Well I priced it so I would still make a profit, I was just curious.  Thank you for your time in answering!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How do you ship postcards or very light items w/o losing your TRS status because of lack of trac

I sell some postcards, too.  Postcards are a low-profit item but I plan my price so that I  can offer free shipping, and I always add tracking to everything I sell because it protects me as a seller and it maintains my TRS.   Yes, I pay the $2.61.  I ship in a polymailer and I support the postcard with a piece of cardstock cut to size.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The value of the TRS discount is what matters. Work out how much that is and compare it with the amount saved by shipping as a letter. Also work out just how many untracked items you can send and how that reflects your usual selling.

Sending cheap light stuff with trackig that can go as a letter is not a good idea, the 'protection' you assume is laregly illusory, very few people if any are going to make false claims of non receipt fot a low value item, and if any do the value of the extra sales you can make with lower shipping costs will far outweigh any losses.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, I was afraid of that.  Well I priced it so I would still make a profit, I was just curious.  Thank you for your time in answering!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The 90% tracking upload requirement is based on the prior 3 months.

The On Time shipping metric is based on a year.  It can be met 3 ways - scan within handling time, delivery within estimated delivery time, or buyer says yes to on-time delivery if/when they leave feedback.  If no scan ever takes place and the buyer doesn't answer the question, then it's not counted either.

You have more than enough of a buffer to absorb the tracking upload requirement.

One conflict I see is that you list as First Class Package - which is the trackable service.  I know eBay doesn't offer a simple First Class Letter option to select, but postcard sellers who ship that way often choose the generic Standard Shipping as their shipping option.

@iowafiveanddime

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The easiest solution is to open a second selling account, and sell the non-tracked items only on that account. It won't have TRS, but that won't affect your main account's TRS status and TRS+ discount.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thank you! Good to know. Usually when it's free shipping I don't bother to select a type of shipping because I didn't think it mattered, but I will look over what I have and make changes as I relist. Thank you!
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I mail up to 3 postcards in a #11 envelope via First Class Mail non-machinable letter and charge $1.00. The envelope is lined with 2 pieces of light cardboard (file folder or poster board) and each postcard is sleeved and has a cardboard backing. The weight is 2 oz. and the cost is $0.91. USPS has a stamp in this denomination.

No tracking and transaction does not count toward TRS+ status. My listing states "Standard" and I specify a fixed rate. In addition, I offer First Class Package Service and specify an appropriate rate -- usually $2.75 -- in case a buyer wants tracking. I then use a 6x9 paper or bubble envelope lined with corrugated cardboard and make sure it is thicker than 1/4 inch and/or heavier than 3.5 oz.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Duchess

In regard to your response on shipping postcards.  Can you confirm (I read your reply several times) that if you have a flat rate shipping on postcards that if you just mark it as paid and shipped it doesn't affect your TRS status?  Or am I misreading your statement?  I shipped a postcard yesterday, sold for $3 - plus a $2 flat rate shipping.  I ended up at the PO paying $2.67 so I could have tracking.  This is the first one I sold and I have Many many more so I would appreciate if you have a moment, following up on how you ship postcards.  Thank You in Advance!

Kim

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I don't quite understand duchess' statement, either. But I do know that eBay is strict about the TRS tracking upload requirement.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You don't sell this kind of stuff one ebay period unless you don't mind sending it to the buyer for free on your own dime. 

If you send it with no tracking, the person opens a case and get a full refund on you.

I always charge the smallest cost and that is $3 to cover the shipping with track and Ebay's FVF on shipping.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yes - I understand now - better to maintain TRS status and charge a $1 more for shipping thank you Partial*eclipse!
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you newtypeshop! I was wondering how people sold $3 postcards for free shipping or $1 shipping - you have to be a factory churning out hundreds - or not have a TRS standing
I would rather keep the TRS status and i don't like the idea of not having a tracking #.
Appreciate your response!
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I do not have TRS+ status and do not want it.  I simply explained how I prepare postcard orders and what I charge.  If a seller wants or needs to maintain TRS+ status, then tracking is required for 95% of all transactions -- which means using a package service.  I offer both options so the buyer can choose.

In more than 30 years of mail order selling -- long before eBay! -- I've never had a problem sending orders without tracking.

~~C~~ 

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply