cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you check if an item is real or if they're trying to scan you when buying something

I was trying to buy a vehicle and they said that eBay shipping or some stuff like that well I want to be able to call and talk to someone and verified that this vehicle is actually there and if the way they're asking to be paid just sounds a little strange to me with like eBay cards and apple cards and I just want to find out if it's a scam or if it's a real vehicle being sold but I have no idea who to talk to and how to get hold of them 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

How can you check if an item is real or if they're trying to scan you when buying something

It is a SCAM, NO DOUBT.

Cease communication with these theives.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@thisbl96 wrote:

I was trying to buy a vehicle and they said that eBay shipping or some stuff like that well I want to be able to call and talk to someone and verified that this vehicle is actually there and if the way they're asking to be paid just sounds a little strange to me with like eBay cards and apple cards and I just want to find out if it's a scam or if it's a real vehicle being sold but I have no idea who to talk to and how to get hold of them 

@thisbl96 

Any time you find a listing on another site and they claim ebay will protect you, it's a scam. 

Ebay does NOT have anything to do with listings that aren't on ebay. EVER!

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

My guess is that you didn't find it for sale here. The ad is bogus... please report it on the site where you found it. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If someone ever asks you to pay for anything with gift cards, it is a guaranteed scam.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

First off, when they say to pay in gift cards, that is the number one tip off it's a SCAM.  eBay never assists in sales or payments of items on other sites.  It has to be listed on eBay to be an eBay sale. There is no other way.   There also is no such thing as eBay  shipping.  eBay does not store, stock or ship anything.

No, it's not real just a classic scam that sells better than Pepsi.    Other variants include someone died or they are being sent far away in the military.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Was the price too good to be true? That's  the second sign it's  a scam. The first sign is you did not find it on eBay. 

eBay doesn't  handle payments on vehicles. They don't  offer an inspection period. Vehicles can't  be returned.

Whatever sob story they told you why thy are selling the vehicle is a lie. 

Report the ad on the site you found it. Forward the fraudulent  email to cars@ebay.com.

Please cease communications with the scammer. The contact number and email in the fake invoice they sent you connects to the scammer.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You found it listed elsewhere, not eBay.

The price is ridiculously low.

There is a sob story connected with it, like seller is military, about to be deployed, or someone died.

Asked to pay with eBay gift cards.

Vehicle will be delivered to you for a trial period, and if you don't want it, they will retrieve it, all at no cost to you.

How am I doin' so far?  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I dunno.. if I am in the market for a car, I want to go look at it, inspect it for rust, check the oil and fluids, test drive it, think it over, etc.  AND pay cash for it, get the title (and make sure it's a clean title), etc.

BTW, Ebay doesn't ship anything

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It's a common scam.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You found this somewhere other than ebay...  THERE IS NO VEHICLE, NEVER WAS A VEHICLE.

As soon as you fork over the gift cards, 'seller' will disappear faster than Barbara Eden going back in her bottle on I Dream Of Jeannie.  TOTAL SCAM.   Run away and don't look back!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply