cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a seller combine shipping on "buy it now " listings

lilycarver
Scout

I want to purchase 3 lots from a very new seller but I don't want to pay the cost of 3 separate shipping fees as they are literallly lots of 3 or 4 movie photos so easy to combine. I am ok if they want to add a little extra but not 3 times plus tax. I see no way for me or they to combine shippng and this has been a problem before. sometimes seller just sends me a refund but that is stupid and of course ends up getting taxed. I mostly buy auctions ( you know where the actual good not junk stuff is still there IF you look REALLY hard) 

Thanks

Jessica

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How can a seller combine shipping on "buy it now " listings

Assuming the seller actually offers combined shipping, instead of clicking on the "Buy It Now" button, put all three items in your cart. Then you should see a link for "Request total" or "Request invoice." I can't recall the exact verbiage. Click on that, and the seller will send an invoice through which you can pay.

Again, make sure the seller even offers combined shipping. Some do, some don't.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

EBay wants you to pay for separate mailings, more final value fees for ebay, you should expect that all photos will be combined in one package & that your seller expects to pocket the shipping overcharge, more profit.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

In order for the seller to be able to combine from the shopping cart the items would have not to be set for buy it now. Been there often on items I've had people inquire about.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@qatara wrote:

In order for the seller to be able to combine from the shopping cart the items would have not to be set for buy it now. Been there often on items I've had people inquire about.

@qatara 

Really? Because I don't think I've ever seen a "Buy It Now" listing that didn't also include an "Add to Cart" option. Could you provide a screenshot of one?

Add to Cart Button 1.JPG

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Not add to cart but combine shipping. You ever try to get total for combining when the items you wanted from one seller were all buy it now? I had to change the listings I had that one buyer wanted more than one of to not buy it now. I had set all my listings for buy it now due to having 7 npbs.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@qatara wrote:

Not add to cart but combine shipping. You ever try to get total for combining when the items you wanted from one seller were all buy it now? I had to change the listings I had that one buyer wanted more than one of to not buy it now. I had set all my listings for buy it now due to having 7 npbs.

@qatara 

I've already provided a screenshot that shows that every "Buy It Now" listing also has an option to "Add to Cart."

What I suggested to the OP was instead of using the "Buy It Now" button, s/he should put everything in his/her cart with the "Add to Cart" button.

Then, IN THE CART, there will be a link that says "Request total." If the OP clicks on that link, the seller can compute the combined shipping and send an invoice for the buyer to pay.

I have no idea what you mean when you say, " . . . when the items you wanted from one seller were all buy it now." I have never seen an item listing that had only "Buy It Now" as a purchase option. All listings I've every seen have both "Buy It Now" and "Add to Cart." I'm telling the OP to use "Add to Cart" so s/he can then request a combined shipping invoice.

Unless you can provide a screenshot of a listing that has only "Buy It Now," I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I believe that seller is referring to Immediate Payment Required.  All of my fixed price listings (Buy It Now) do NOT include IPR because I want buyers to purchase multiple items for a combined shipping discount.

If all of his/her listings use IPR, then I do not believe the Add to Cart would be available, and if it does, then Immediate Payment would be required, and therefore, no way to get a discount for combined shipping.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@lilycarver wrote:

I want to purchase 3 lots from a very new seller but I don't want to pay the cost of 3 separate shipping fees as they are literallly lots of 3 or 4 movie photos so easy to combine. I am ok if they want to add a little extra but not 3 times plus tax. I see no way for me or they to combine shippng and this has been a problem before. sometimes seller just sends me a refund but that is stupid and of course ends up getting taxed. I mostly buy auctions ( you know where the actual good not junk stuff is still there IF you look REALLY hard) 

Thanks

Jessica

As the other's above have stated, if the buyer does not have IPR set then you can use Add to Cart and "Request Total"... sometimes.  eBay frequently disables this button for any one of several reasons, or for no apparent reason at all.

What I do when buyers can't use the "Request total" is have them send me a message from each item they want.  I use the "reply with offer" to send them an offer on each item with the same price.  The buyer then accepts each offer but DOES NOT PAY.  Once they have accepted the offers I can then go to "Orders - Waiting for Payment" and send them an invoice with the combined shipping.

This may seem like more work, but it has the benefit of working EVERY TIME.  No mess or hassle with the eBay's myopic attitude about when I should be able to offer discounts or combined shipping.  eBay gets their fees, I get the sale, and the buyer doesn't pay extra in sales tax and I don't pay extra in fees.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

I believe that seller is referring to Immediate Payment Required.  All of my fixed price listings (Buy It Now) do NOT include IPR because I want buyers to purchase multiple items for a combined shipping discount.

If all of his/her listings use IPR, then I do not believe the Add to Cart would be available, and if it does, then Immediate Payment would be required, and therefore, no way to get a discount for combined shipping.

@disneyshopper 

Yes, I believe that's what that poster meant, too. 

If you are aware of any listings that use "Buy It Now" and with "Immediate Payment Required," would you mind posting a screenshot of the options available? I just haven't run across a listing without the "Add to Cart" button, so I'd like to see what the BIN with IPR looks like. 

If you can't find one, no big deal, but thanks, just in case!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sorry for the late follow up. As noted the seller was totally new, I messaged and we worked out an odd arrangement where he just combined the 3 lots ( kind of risky in that he kept all 3 original lots "live") and it worked but this is just one of the many stupid things on eBay that ought to be so much easier. I have passed on buying a few things in the past as it was not worth the trouble. I appreciate all the advice

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

It doesn't show up on the iPhone app, you have to go to it on your computer
Message 12 of 12
latest reply