cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Shipping - eBay protecting us if USPS is not open on 12/24?

So we were just unsure of how to handle Christmas Eve this year, since in most cases if the holiday falls on a Saturday it's observed on Friday, or if it falls on Sunday it's observed on Monday.

We decided to call USPS and check in with eBay, and it seems like we're getting some conflicting information so I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem.

USPS had said to us that on Friday, most locations will be offering delivery, but not pick up and most post offices will be closed for drop off, although it's up to the local Postmaster for a final decision if they would like to stay open.

Then when I called eBay, the rep didn't seem sure, but checked the knowledge base and didn't see anything that says Christmas Eve is not a normal shipping day.

I asked what could be done to help if the local post office is not open and he didn't seem too committal with a resolution, and basically said just print the labels on Friday and ship when possible. 

We're not sure how to proceed in this case. If they are not open, what actions could we possibly take? 

The next step is we will try to get a hold of the local postmaster to find out exactly what the plan of our local PO is. But this situation is very confusing. 

Reference: https://www.usps.com/holiday/holiday-schedule.htm

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

If you choose today's date & ship tmw, I think the pkg will be late per Ebay & it will affect your metrics. 

No, it definitely would not be considered late and affect your metrics. eBay isn't looking at the label date. They're looking exclusively at whether tracking is uploaded within your handling time and whether that package gets a scan within your handling time.

There's no issue at all with buying a 12/23 dated label and shipping on 12/24 unless you have one of those really rare POs that inspects the date on the label and will take the time to do so during the busiest shipping time of the year.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 16 of 32
latest reply

I started another thread, not seeing this.  But my issue is that 12/24 is NOT an option on Ebay's label printing today.  However 12/24 IS NOT A HOLIDAY.   It is a normal work day!!!!  Therefore there s/b an option for printing a label for 12/24.   

I realize some PO's close early, however many do not.  If it's not a postal holiday (which it's not) I s/b able to print a label.  It's that simple!  My PO is open, my carrier is working & there absolutely ARE pickups being done on 12/24, as I have already confirmed w/my carrier that he is doing normal pickups & I can schedule it on USPS.  Why would Ebay decide to make that a holiday, even though the USPS did not?  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@br9333 wrote:

I'm printing labels now and I see that December 24th is not currently an option for USPS labels on Ebay, but it should be. It has December 23, December 27, and December 28 as the options. I anticipate sending out packages on the 24th but as of now that date is not available for USPS shipping labels. I hope that will be changed.

And another post about this:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Printing-A-Label-not-allowing-me-to-choose-Dec-24th-EBAY-FIX/...

@br9333

@simply-the-best-for-you 

Here's the issue with this velvet@ebay and tyler@ebay - if sellers want to ship tomorrow 12/24 and choose the 12/27 date, the holiday surcharge isn't applied even though it's still in effect 12/24.

Sellers purchasing labels today can choose the 12/23 date and ship on 12/24, but sellers purchasing labels tomorrow will only be able to select the 12/27 date. If they ship tomorrow with 12/27 labels then their packages will probably get picked up by the APV system for the holiday surcharge which is going to result in tons of micro charges and confusion through MP when sellers (inevitably) don't realize why they're being charged.

Hey @wastingtime101! I can understand your concern with the inability to select the 24th. It was announced here that we'll be protecting sellers that run into shipping issues with the 24th being treated as a holiday by some carriers, and not others.

For sellers that have a handle by date of 12/24/2021 they can wait to ship until the 27th. That means they're protected on eBay, and they don't need to worry about the holiday surcharge concern. 

I know this isn't ideal, but I hope the suggestion above helps. We've made the shipping team aware of what's going on and we'll follow-up here with anything they provide us with. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Thanks velvet@ebay. For me personally it's a non-issue. I know other sellers don't stay as informed so I'm thinking of all the sellers that will come here with the problem or tie up CS resources over something that could have been avoided.

For anybody reading that sees this as a problem, here are your options:

• Print labels today with a 12/23 date and ship tomorrow 12/24
  • Print labels tomorrow with a 12/27 date and ship tomorrow 12/24 knowing that APV charges will probably be applied later for the holiday surcharge
  • Print labels any time between today and Monday, then ship Monday 12/27 because eBay is not requiring shipments on 12/24 this year due to irregular PO schedules, despite it being a regular business day for many.
  • Purchase shipping labels anywhere other than eBay including pirateship.com, stamps.com, paypal.com/shipnow, the post office counter, and the list goes on ...
GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I don't understand why Ebay feels the need to do anything.   Tomorrow is a business day, not a holiday.  Simple.  My PO is open & my carrier (who I communicate with directly) has already confirmed that he is working & doing pick ups, just like normal.   

As mentioned, this is not the case for all areas. Many around here are only open until 1.

I'm appreciative of eBay trying to help with this. This is a case where they deserve some credit. I'm not sure the reason to be upset with eBay for doing a good thing for sellers? 

Regarding the shipping label issue, I have no idea why the label printing system is causing issues as a result. They only said here that lates will be protected. I don't think it's fair to blame protection for the shipping labels issue. The eBay shipping system should be completely separate from protections? Other shipping softwares correctly allow the 24th as an option. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

I don't think it's fair to blame protection for the shipping labels issue. 

I agree that it's jumping to conclusions to blame the protections for the missing date. Sure, it's possible that the easiest and fastest way for eBay to provide protections was to make 12/24 a holiday in the shipping system, however we've seen the same label date issue with numerous holidays in the past so I doubt seller protections are what's causing this.

GLORIOUS!

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Your respect your opinion,  I just totally disagree :-).  Apparently I'm not alone b/c after I posted, I found out there were threads all over, of people trying to figure out why they couldn't print a label. 

12/24 is a business day for the USPS.  I was able to order a pickup, my carrier came, it's a business day.   Therefore, I should be able to print a label with that business day.   I think they created a mess, as many PO's (not a few like someone else stated) are sticklers for the right date on the label.  I'm on a lot of boards & read all the time about how picky PO's are about label dates & it's not just rural PO's.  

For Ebay to just decide that a day is a Holiday, when it's not, I find quite bizarre & frustrating.   But hey, I was in IT for most of my life, so I find the accuracy & the details to be important.   I'm glad it helped some people.   I found it extremely strange & annoying. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

If you choose today's date & ship tmw, I think the pkg will be late per Ebay & it will affect your metrics. 

No, it definitely would not be considered late and affect your metrics. eBay isn't looking at the label date. They're looking exclusively at whether tracking is uploaded within your handling time and whether that package gets a scan within your handling time.

There's no issue at all with buying a 12/23 dated label and shipping on 12/24 unless you have one of those really rare POs that inspects the date on the label and will take the time to do so during the busiest shipping time of the year.

Ok, I truly want to understand this, as maybe my understanding was incorrect & if it was, I apologize!  As an IT person, the details are super important to me & I was under the impression the algorithm considered the label date.   So when you say that the pkg needs to have an Acceptance scan within my handling time.   My question is...within my handling time from when?   The sale date & time?    Are you saying the label date does not come into play at all (for Ebay, not the post offices)? 

I understand that there's no issue mailing pkgs later than the mailing date (except for the many POs that actually care), but I thought it mattered for your handling time metrics, to indicate if you mailed "on time". 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

"Are you saying the label date does not come into play at all (for Ebay, not the post offices)? "

Yes, that's correct.

"My question is...within my handling time from when?   The sale date & time?"

Yes, the sale date and the handling time on your listing. Ex: 3 business day handling time means you need a scan within 3 business days of the date the buyer paid - the date eBay says to ship by on your orders page.

The exception would be today. I ship next business day, so typically anything sold yesterday I would have to get scanned in by EOD today. eBay extended seller protections because of the irregular USPS hours around the country today which means I could wait until Monday to ship if I needed/wanted to.

GLORIOUS!

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

The time and date of printing the label is only considered within the very specific TRS parameter of "Tracking uploaded within your handling time" which requires a 95% rate within the past 3 months for TRS eligibility. This was one of eBay's oldest efforts at holding sellers accountable for prompt shipping.  The requirement to get a validation scan was added after eBay realized how many fake numbers were uploaded.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/seller-levels-performance-stan...

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

The time and date of printing the label is only considered within the very specific TRS parameter of "Tracking uploaded within your handling time"

Yes, correct. That poster was asking about the mailing date displayed on the shipping label. The mailing date on the label (as I'm sure you know) has no bearing on seller metrics. It matters only:

• When the tracking number is added to the transaction
  • When the label is scanned
GLORIOUS!

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

That's right. I was replying to @simply-the-best-for-you    about their question about the label date: "I was under the impression the algorithm considered the label date. ... Are you saying the label date does not come into play at all (for Ebay, not the post offices)? "

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

@wastingtime101 

Thank you both for the explanations.  I stand corrected.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Your respect your opinion,  I just totally disagree :-).  Apparently I'm not alone b/c after I posted, I found out there were threads all over, of people trying to figure out why they couldn't print a label. 

12/24 is a business day for the USPS.  I was able to order a pickup, my carrier came, it's a business day.   Therefore, I should be able to print a label with that business day.   I think they created a mess, as many PO's (not a few like someone else stated) are sticklers for the right date on the label.  I'm on a lot of boards & read all the time about how picky PO's are about label dates & it's not just rural PO's.  

For Ebay to just decide that a day is a Holiday, when it's not, I find quite bizarre & frustrating.   But hey, I was in IT for most of my life, so I find the accuracy & the details to be important.   I'm glad it helped some people.   I found it extremely strange & annoying. 

Well from an IT perspective (as I'm in IT myself, as well as software development), the issue here isn't really that they offered protections, but the way they (possibly) had went about doing it. Rather than simply protecting lates as they had mentioned, it looks like they just turned the entire day in to a shipping holiday.

This certainly wasn't being concerned with accuracy/details on their part. Rather it seems it was a "quick fix", which I suppose is understandable since they did it on a short time frame.

Although I do agree that it is a strange way to do these protections, and I could certainly understand the annoyance. In past experiences, eBay had "whitelisted" certain metrics to make sure you don't get penalties (I've seen them do that with no only lates, but also guaranteed delivery, and service metrics). That's what it sounded like they were going to do in this case for the 24th. But for whatever reason, they decided to do it by disabling the day as a shipping day period.

That said, I do know you're not alone in having a PO that was open normally. But out here, the PO's were anything but normal. As mentioned, most of the ones around here closed at 1. And for not only Friday - but the ENTIRE WEEK last week - our USPS pick up was not available and we had to pack out the trunks/back seats of three employees cars to drive it there (because our van is out of order). So I'm definitely thankful eBay had offered protections, as it was definitely a headache. Especially considering last week it had been raining in Los Angeles, which is abnormal for us, and it's not really built to withstand rain very well. The drains are slow, and there wasn't coverage in the parking lot behind USPS, so it wasn't fun to be standing in puddles unpacking cars in the rain, lol. 

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@zamo-zuan 

I don't disagree with anything you wrote.   Ebay frequently doesn't think through (or adequately test) the impacts of their changes, as far as IT goes, so not really a surprise.   ITA that the idea behind it was thoughtful, but the implementation sucks.   Just arbitrarily deciding that a USPS business day, is not, is a weird way to implement the desired outcome.   And then repeating it a week later for New Years, is inexcusable.  

Despite the issues, looks like they also did NOT fix it in time for 12/31.  I just printed a label that I planned to ship on 12/31 (again, a USPS business day) & once again, I can't print a label for that business day.   The only part I disagree with you on is the "short time frame" they did it in.  Unless you know something I don't, they had all year to plan for this!  

That is interesting that you didn't have pickup avl all week.  I would have thought the pickup calendar is the same for everyone in the US who has the service avl.   Now whether or not they get carried out, is a completely different story 😉  

Either way, everyone will have to deal with this weirdness again on the non-Holiday 12/31, since you can't print a label.   

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 30 of 32
latest reply