cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with return request on $995 handbag that buyer resold

I sold a Louis Vuitton bag on 6/23. Buyer then resold it herself on August 10th. Her buyer opened a return request saying it didn’t seem authentic. My buyer then opened a return request to me saying it didn’t seem authentic. 

There is no question the bag is authentic as I am an expert in Louis Vuitton authentication having been in the business of buying, selling and authenticating LV for almost 25 years. In fact, years ago, my company provided authentication letters for not only eBay, but for PayPal, credit card companies and insurance companies. I still do this on occasion. 

I tried to explain to the buyer that the bag was authentic, offered a letter of authenticity, offered to pay for a third party authentication of her choosing and even offered to buy it back from her at the price she sold it to her buyer for. I can easily resell it again but I wouldn’t pay her the full amount of the original sale because it was sold to her in new condition and it’s no longer in new condition.

She basically replied that yes, she sold it to someone else and that they are returning it and that she will “compare” it to her other LV bags when she gets home this evening. That’s all. No mention of my offer to provide an authentication letter, a third party authentication or my offer to buy it back from her. 

Does anyone one have any advice for me in this situation? 

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Unless you have chosen to offer a 60-day return policy, the buyer is long past the time when she could return the item.  Coverage under eBay's buyer protection policy ( the "Money back guarantee") expires 30 days after the package is delivered. She could still file a claim with PayPal, but considering your credentials, plus the fact that the item is no longer in original condition, she might lose that claim.

Why would she send you this heads-up message, rather than just waiting to see what the item looks like when she gets it back? Seems threatening, or perhaps she's sounding you out regarding your possible reaction. Don't overlook the possibility that she or her buyer would switch the item and you wouldn't get back the actual item that you had sent to her.

Message 2 of 135
latest reply

She opened a return request. Are you saying a return request can’t be opened after 30 days? No, I don’t offer returns.

Message 3 of 135
latest reply

In their infinite wisdom eBay now allows buyers to open return requests up to 60 days after delivery, regardless of the sellers selected policy.  However, per the blues, the seller DOES NOT have to accept the return after 30 days if the have a 30 days return policy.

This item was clearly reshipped (sold) after the initial purchase so the original seller is protected from a return under eBay and Paypal policy.  Keep all the messages that show the bag was resold! 

Your big worry is a CC chargeback if the buyer paid via CC.  That will require a fight, one we've seen here before.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 135
latest reply

Thank you. I called eBay and was pretty much told to just let it play out to see if a resolution can be agreed to. I asked about it being resold/shipped to another buyer and I didn’t really get a clear answer to that.

Message 5 of 135
latest reply

I would take your question to the fashion board..many designer bag experts on there..Im sure you can get some helpful advice..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 135
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

In their infinite wisdom eBay now allows buyers to open return requests up to 60 days after delivery, regardless of the sellers selected policy.  However, per the blues, the seller DOES NOT have to accept the return after 30 days if the have a 30 days return policy.

This item was clearly reshipped (sold) after the initial purchase so the original seller is protected from a return under eBay and Paypal policy.  Keep all the messages that show the bag was resold! 

Your big worry is a CC chargeback if the buyer paid via CC.  That will require a fight, one we've seen here before.

I had a return request after my 30 days for an item that was reshipped to Russia. It was repacked horribly and arrived broken so buyer opened a SNAD.  EBay sends you a note stating it's past your return window and you don't have to accept it. BUT....it still counts as a SNAD return in your metrics.

Message 7 of 135
latest reply

@jillsconsignment wrote:

Thank you. I called eBay and was pretty much told to just let it play out to see if a resolution can be agreed to. I asked about it being resold/shipped to another buyer and I didn’t really get a clear answer to that.

What date was the bag delivered to the buyer? And do you not have the option to decline the return? 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 135
latest reply

It was delivered on June 25th. Yes, there is an option to decline the return.

Message 9 of 135
latest reply

I made a mistake. It sold for $1095, not $995.

Message 10 of 135
latest reply

@jillsconsignment wrote:

Go ahead and decline

Message 11 of 135
latest reply

@jillsconsignment wrote:

@jillsconsignment Decline the return. There’s nothing to work out with the buyer.  Save ALL communications where she admits she resold the bag. Make screen shots, whatever you have to do. And make sure you’ve blocked her!

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 135
latest reply

@jillsconsignment wrote:

For the record the buyer lost her protection under the MBG when she shipped it to her buyer.

Message 13 of 135
latest reply

That would have voided the MBG, except that it had already expired, since the buyer received it on June 25 and sold it on August 10.  So in the case, due to the delay, the reshipping is a moot point.  So this buyer is double-unprotected.

Message 14 of 135
latest reply

When I called ebay they didn't suggest I decline it nor did they say the MBG was void. Should I call the again. They only suggested I try to resolve it. If I decline it, then what happens? Does the buyer have further recourse? This is just an odd situation for me. I appreciate the helpful replies.

Message 15 of 135
latest reply