cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program via Pitney Bowes results in double charging of shipping

This only seems to happen if you use your debit/credit card as the form of payment instead of PayPal and when purchasing from US->GB. For clarification, you get charged the shipping in the total by the seller, then there is a separate fee by Pitney Bowes in the same amount of the shipping cost. Make sure to back charge these scammers who pull this stunt on you (and by scammers, I mean Pitney Bowes because both eBay and the eBay seller are unaware of this charge from Pitney Bowes). Also keep in mind that eBay uses PayPal as their checkout process medium (like Square, Shopify, ShopGo, etc.) for direct credit/debit card purchases.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@bradwii60 wrote:

This only seems to happen if you use your debit/credit card as the form of payment instead of PayPal

Also keep in mind that eBay uses PayPal as their checkout process medium (like Square, Shopify, ShopGo, etc.) for direct credit/debit card purchases.

No, eBay uses Adyen, based in the Neanderthalands, to clear direct debit/credit card and Gpay/Apay  payments at eBay Checkout. Like labor, Adyen is overseas, so it's cheaper than PayPal.

And posing as the seller, eBay uses it's own corporate PayPal account to accept payments paid at eBay Checkout with PayPal on behalf of the actual seller.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@bradwii60 

Yes, when the seller uses the GSP, the buyer will get 2 charges.

The 1st charge is for the item and shipping charge to the GSP.

The 2nd charge is for shipping from the GSP to your country and any import charges.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

No, I verified with a PayPal rep who states otherwise, at least in regards to my situation. That might be different depending on the location of the buyer/seller, though.

Anyway, I spoke with my bank (Navy Federal Credit Union) and they dropped the nuke on that Pitney Bowes charge. Pitney Bowes can go to hell with their scammy nonsense.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Sorry Ken, but that simply isn't true. Anyone who defends that is just as much of a scammer as the rest of them. There should only ever be ONE charge from eBay with the total (price of item+shipping+any applicable taxes) deducted from your account. I find it peculiar that people aren't experiencing this double shipping charge when they use PayPal. It's only happening if they use their debit/credit card directly. And the reason why I used my debit card instead of my PayPal account is because my bank has a better exchange rate.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

And there's a slight typo in my OP. I meant to say that I reside in the United States and I'm purchasing a product in the UK/GB.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Oh, and here's the explanation straight from eBay for you schmucks who keep defending that bogus charge-

https://pages.ebay.com/buy/globalshippingprogram/

Screenshot_20210228-174652.png

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

That says no additional charge on delivery, that isn't related to what you are referring to now.

As others have mentioned there are always two charges because the seller receives the price of the item plus any domestic shipping charges  (if applicable) to send it to the gsp hub.  If the seller has free domestic shipping on their listing then the only amount they receive is for the item.

The second charge is for Pitney Bowes and consists of the international shipping portion and any import fees is applicable.

Have a look at the listing and add together the import fees, shipping fee and the cost of the item.  The total of all 3 should be the same as the combined amounts paid to the seller and to Pitney Bowes.   If  the listing was in UK pounds then there may be a bit of difference in the totals because of the exchange rate and conversion fees.

No one is defending anything here, that is the way that it always been done. It cant be done in one payment because the seller does not receive the money from the international part of the shipping.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The second charge is for Pitney Bowes and consists of the international shipping portion and any import fees is applicable.

No [schmuck] is defending anything here, that is the way that it always been done. It cant be done in one payment because the seller does not receive the money from the international part of the shipping.

FEI (for everyone's information) that 2 payments for every scam (global scamming program) changed with Managed Paybacks, when finally eBay managed paybacks on sellers. Because Pitney Bowes was unwilling to give their social security number to Adyen and join Managed Paybacks.

So both payments are combined and SELLERS PAY FVF AND THE FOREIGN UPCHARGE ON THE ENTIRE AMOUNT then immediately the tax and import fees are whisked away. GSP sellers in MP please step forward on this.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Bzzt, wrong.

I just purchased another item from a UK seller with the same stipulations (separate shipping charge by seller [which specifically states it's for international shipping] and the listing also makes a mention of the GSP), yet I wasn't charged a separate fee from Pitney Bowes as soon as it was dispatched. This is either a glitch by Pitney Bowes or they're purposely taking advantage of people who won't take the time to call their bank to drop a nuke on the fraudulent, bogus charge.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@bradwii60 wrote:

Bzzt, wrong.

I just purchased another item from a UK seller with the same stipulations (separate shipping charge by seller [which specifically states it's for international shipping] and the listing also makes a mention of the GSP), yet I wasn't charged a separate fee from Pitney Bowes as soon as it was dispatched. This is either a glitch by Pitney Bowes or they're purposely taking advantage of people who won't take the time to call their bank to drop a nuke on the fraudulent, bogus charge.

And for clarification, after I had paid for this listing, I messaged the seller to make sure to not use Pitney Bowes to print the label. So this seems to happen if the eBay seller prints the label from Pitney Bowes.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

No charges upon delivery is absolutely false and a scam, they can not legally charge import duties to another country those cannot be prepaid and need to be paid on actual importation. Have just bought an item on eBay and on checking my invoice see I too have been scammed PS I work for HM Customs and that money is not going towards the import duty I will have to pay on arrival 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply