cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program is too expensive

I am confused with Global Shipping Program. I purchased cake pans fron USA to Greece and until now they came with ebay  International Standard Delivery. It is cheaper and I never had to pay more (for taxes, etc) . The last one was shiped with Global Shipping Program and it was shipping plus 22 $ for imported fees! the total cost was too high, and the only difference I see is that I had emails about my package, and came faster (3 weeks instead of 5). If I had a choise I would wait the extra time to save the money...

Now I am interested in another cake pan and it's on bidding. It ships with Global Shipping Program and writes Import charges (estimated) $0.00. So my question is:should I bid? And if I win and in the payment asks US $43.05 shipping plus 22$? It's too much... How come for same destination, very simmilar item, the one has plus 0$ and the other plus 22$? 

To be clear, I don't expect free shipping and I do understand It will cost. I'm just asking for a reasonable cost.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

With the eBay's Global Shipping Program, Import/Customs Taxes are suppose to be part of the Shipping Fee Cost.

With eBay's Standard international International Delivery Import/Custom Taxes are not part of the Shipping Cost.  Any Import/Custom Taxes that are due the buyer will have to pay these Fees as their government determines.

What I have noticed with shipping options is that some people want cheaper shipping and other people want faster shipping but for some reason eBay does not allow both options to offered at the same time for international shipping.

The seller can select both options when they make their listing but only one service is offered to the buyer and it is not always the cheapest option.

I tell people to contact me if they want a price for the eBay Standard International Delivery.  If they decide they want this shipping I will have to change the listing to offer only that option and then they can buy it.

You could ask the seller to give you a price for eBay's Standard international Shipping.  Maybe they will or maybe they will not.

Also depending on how item is package shipping could be higher.  If a handling fee is added to the shipping that will also make shipping higher.  Depending on where the item is being shipped from in the US can also have a higher shipping cost.

Lot a variables with shipping.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for the advice.

I asked the seller - ships only with Global Shipping Program. 

So I still have the problem. Now it shows  Import charges (estimated) $0.00 but no quaranty that it will be so at check out.

If it wasn't bidding I could add to cart and check, but now it's impossible!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I see you problem.  You are not going to know the Import Charges until you win the auction.

I believe you are saying with one you purchased using the Standard International Delivery there were no Import Charges due?  So your Country did not require Import Charges after the item was delivered?

If I understand you correctly, currently with your Bid it shows the Import Charges as $0.00 

I would take that to mean according to Global Shipping Program no Import Charges are due.  However you said the last one you purchase this way the Import Fee was $22.  

If it is going to cost more then you are expecting and the Seller will not use the less expensive Standard International Shipping you may want to ask the Seller to cancel you bid.

Most countries usually have a certain amount you can Import before you have to pay Import Charges.  What are the Import Rules for your country?  The Global Shipping Program is only suppose to add the Import Charges if required by your country.  Most countries usually have a certain amount you can Import before you have to pay Import Charges.

The Standard international Shipping is not a big deal.  It ships the same way as the Global Shipping Program.  It goes to a shipper in the US and they forward it to the destination country.  Both ways are insured for $100.  It should not matter to the seller, it is just a option they select when listing the items.

They may not be able to add the option now that Bids have been placed.  If you win the Auction they could relist for you with Buy It Now option and offer you the shipping you want.  They could then cancel your Auction purchase.

What kind of Cake Pans are you looking for?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The Standard international Shipping is not a big deal. It ships the same way as the Global Shipping Program. It goes to a shipper in the US and they forward it to the destination country. Both ways are insured for $100. It should not matter to the seller, it is just a option they select when listing the items.

Actually it does make a difference tot he seller which one is used.  There is insurance with standard international however if the item gets lost,  the seller has to refund and then put in a claim for the insurance.  They are not compensated for the cost of the shipping..just the item.

With global shipping the seller is not responsible for a lost parcel once it arrives at the global shipping center. The gsp refunds the buyer if a package gets lost.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Good point.  

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

"Most countries usually have a certain amount you can Import before you have to pay Import Charges.  What are the Import Rules for your country?  The Global Shipping Program is only suppose to add the Import Charges if required by your country.  Most countries usually have a certain amount you can Import before you have to pay Import Charges."

No import fees for items under  50$. All cake pans (one at a time) were under that. The last one cost 38$. I'm not pleased with the extra 22$. For 50-150 it has a 24% to the item price. That would have been 9$, not 22.

"They may not be able to add the option now that Bids have been placed."

The seller said that global is the only shipping she uses.

"you may want to ask the Seller to cancel you bid."

I don't know if that's possible. The seller might not want to cancel and demand payment. I prefer clean, easy transactions. 

"What kind of Cake Pans are you looking for?"

Heavy aluminum cake bundt pans.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I see this one to Greece the shipping is very expensive $43.33 with eBay Global Shipping. 

There is also a option after the sale that the seller can select eBay Standard International Shipping.  You could ask if they will do this and refund you the difference if it is cheaper.  

Sometime shipping is cheaper with eBays Global Shipping.  It depends on the weight, size and handling fees that may be added.

If seller is not willing to accommodate you with a different shipping option then there is not much you can do.

The things I suggest is what I would do and I know how to do it.  Sometimes people do not understand all the variable's in shipping options and they want to keep it simple.

Screenshot 2021-03-08 163612.png

Screenshot 2021-03-08 164105.png

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

"I see this one to Greece the shipping is very expensive $43.33 with eBay Global Shipping. "

At checkout it was (37.99+43.33+21.77) $. So shipping was 62.10$! Seller took domestic leg 8.04$.

I'm skeptical for future purchases because of this.

" Sometimes people do not understand all the variable's in shipping options and they want to keep it simple."

I believe that's true. Some sellers are willing to offer another shipping method, others don't, and some do not ship overseas even if the buyer is willing to pay the cost.

I quess I will go safe and don't bid for the item. It is important to know the total shippind cost before I bid.

Thank you for your help!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

As a seller I have just opted out of GSP as it is too expensive. I can manage my own shipping.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

GSP is good for more expensive items.

Yes, it's costly but convenient. No paperwork and hassle free , insured for lost, stolen and damaged packages

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

GSP puts their charges in the shipping. when it goes over a certain price import charges are added.  With big items GSP is best. I even had one item lost in shipping and GSP refunded my money.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I completely agree with you, GSP prices (for items that should be quite inexpensive to ship) are outrageously high. Some of the prices for shipping I've come across are absolutely ludicrous. You're telling me it's going to cost £48 to ship an item that weighs 3oz overseas?? Ridiculous. And before all of you say "oh well includes other fees and includes tracking and blah blah blah" I literally do not care about any of that why should all of that cost me an arm and a leg when I didn't want or care about it in the first place? Sellers, as a fellow seller, I would encourage you to handle your own shipping and not deal with GSP as it is very off-putting to myself and other potential buyers that you could have. When an item that is supposed to cost £17 in total ends up costing £55 because of GSP that's going to prevent A LOT of potential buyers you could've had to look elsewhere and cost you that sale and it's eBay's fault. I used to enjoy buying items off of eBay but with this insane highway robbery scheme they're pulling these days, I've started taking my business elsewhere and I hope you all do the same until this issue is resolved. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply