cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Shipping - why you should not offer it

As a long time seller on ebay I can tell you I have seen the table tilted against the seller time and time again.   Here is another example:

Recently a couple of buyers have bought items, realized they bought it by mistake after receiving the itme, and I had free shipping offered.   Now as you know as sellers we are pressured or 'urged' by ebay to offer free shipping not only 'for the better buyer experience' but because ebay also gouges you on shipping fees.

For ebay these shipping fees are a great profit center to up the bottom line because unlike the seller, who has to supply packing materials and time, ebay puts in nothing and no doubt also gets a discount on shipping or a referral fee from the carriers.   And/or they take it out of our pockets as a 'fee on shipping purchase'.   It costs them nothing to offer shipping, its a total pass through and the carriers love the business.  Everyone wins except those making the market place in the first place.

So what happens when you get a return for free shipping?  Ebay has titled the table on returns.  You can 1) refuse  2)refund and let buyer keep item  3) offer the buyer a partial refund and keep the item  or 4) pay for the return shipping and refund the total.    the minute a case is opened, your paypal count is deducted the selling amount (and I sell deducted because ebay will find against you)    There is no - offer a partial refund and buyer returns item.    Ebay removes that option and you can't offer a partial return and pay yourself for the return shipping.  Why?  Because ebay doesn't offer it, even though it is an obvious choice.  They don't care, they don't have to.   They are polite on calls, but behind the politeness is an FU.

So unlike anyone who shops locally and wants to return an item - whether its our mistake or a broken product, we pay for our gas and time both ways.   On ebay, that is not the case. 

I have had two returns, one admitted that he bought the item and no longer wanted it, I sent him a message saying send it back and I'll refund the purchase price minus shipping to you ($2 for 1st class shipping0, and another buyer who was smarter - claimed the item was 'not as described'.  In this case - he bought the wrong part, the item (brinkman igniter - in my ebay store).  In my discussions with buyer I asked him about the gas to the store and back if bought locally - no reply.  I asked him how he would describe the igniter - the item is fully described in title, part number, UPC,and includes pictures.  He buys a universal starter instead of the specific part for his grill because its cheaper.    now on a $10 item, how much margin is there when you ship for free and get gouged for shipping for the buyer's admitted mistake? 

Both times, buyer admits mistake, both file cases, both times ebay says - sellers fault.   I called ebay to discuss this issue and they agreed with me on every point, but found in the buyer's favor and just said (remarkably honestly) - 'thats the cost of doing business on ebay'.   And I am sure you can supply your own story of buyers buying something, using it, then saying 'not as described' and returning it whent they are done with it - and why not - when it costs them nothing.   Even better when the item comes back used.

So, what to do?   You could start with no returns - but the buyers will just claim 'not as described' and you are back in the same boat.

You could just cut your selling price to exclude shipping but keep a competitive price, and then you can at least contest it, but 'not as described' will get you in the same boat. Once its not as described, its to bad for you.  In my discussion with ebay on the igntier example, I said the description is complete, the pictures show what it is, part, upc, and the description on the package is in the title.   How could I have described it better?   There was no response from the 'helpful' ebay associate.

Finally, start charging restocking fees equal to your intial postage, or some recoverable portion thereof to cushion the blow. 

Bottom line - ebay doesn't care - they don't have to.

In aother post I used global shipping and had to jump through about 20 email responses and finally got seller protection before that case resolved in my favor on an item pitney bowes or their agents damaged.   But if you read the forums, pitney bowes gouges international sellers so most items I have in global shipping no longer sell.   You maybe protected in case of loss, but with the cost, you probably will be priced outof the market.  

So free shipping - maybe you get a sale, but maybe your magins are so low (and let's not forget the paypal fees) that its no longer worth doing business. 

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Free Shipping - why you should not offer it

lja440 wrote

My listings are well described and photos show everything. My items are well packed. Been here since 2004 without a single damage claim.

I think your problem is not ebay's Free Shipping. It's that you are not giving much on your pictures and descriptions. Like your tux listing only 4 bad pictures and this for a description 

while that may be true in this case. sometimes returns are unavoidable due to lazy or ignorant buyers

A perfect example of this is when I was selling some yellow wire connectors. I had included every single detail provided to me on the package. Even had a link to the item on the manufacturer website in the listing.

One customer claimed that the wire connectors were too small for his applictation. This customer told me that he thought that all yellow wire connectors were a standard size.

another customer just admitted he didn't read the description on the item

I have found over the years that items in cateories where people think everything is "standard" has considerably higher return rates compared to items in cateorgies that don't.

now excuse me, I have to go buy some standard tires for my truck 😉

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

Very useful post - I list with make an offer and free shipping because I thought it bumps up visibility. Great info and I may adjust my strategy.
Message 32 of 43
latest reply

I think it's better to change the language from "FREE" shipping to "shipping included" - free shipping simply doesn't exist, it's bogus, but we seem to have an entire generation of people of all ages who don't seem to get that convenience is not FREE, someone pays for it, and online retail is not a charity so it won't be us doing so.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 33 of 43
latest reply

Recall reading a  post and the seller (new seller) complained  that they had to  pay for shipping as they "thought" by selecting "free" shipping eBay was going to pay for it - talk about entitlement mentality.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 34 of 43
latest reply

The "NO RETURNS" is meaningless on eBay,

confirmed as late as Friday by Ebay CS.

Example: Clothing.. all the buyer has to do is put a RIP in it if they made a mistake in purchasing because they didnt read the descriptions. (or AFTER they used it for whatever occasion they "bought" it to wear to).

Cell phones: Buyer purchases and wife or husband tells the partner "You cant keep it, we need the money".. all the buyer has to do is "crack" the screen and report to ebay that  "ITEM IS DAMAGED".( goes fro most electronics or fragile products ) 

I had a buyer OPEN A CASE for a RETURN, for a new cell phone: REASON he/she claimed for return ? "DIDNT FIT"  <<< REALLY 

UPC number, make & model was listed, so you can google to see ALL ONE SIZE no matter WHAT color  you bought.

Even though Ebay claim the seller didnt have to ACCEPT THE RETURN, the initial message received from Ebay seem to "threathen" the seller that by NOT ACCEPTING THE RETURN, your seller status could be AFFECTED/Impacted.

I accepted the return, but explained to the buyer that "FREE SHIPPING isn't necessarily FREE" , we agreed that s/he can return the item MINUS USPS cost ( I ate the cost of printing label, packaging, and cost of taking item to PO fees. , now I have to REFURBISH the item and it's no longer "NEW" )

* waiting to call Ebay on Tuesday to find out WHY am i still charged a FINAL VALUE FEE on a RETURN that  has been REFUNDED.

*another buyer CALLED me before I shipped his purchase, i REFUNDED his payment, and  was credited my FVF from ebay. 

(ebay thought it was cool to give him my phone number even tho he was NEW with ZERO FB, good going ebay =.=  )

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I think it's better to change the language from "FREE" shipping to "shipping included" - free shipping simply doesn't exist, it's bogus, but we seem to have an entire generation of people of all ages who don't seem to get that convenience is not FREE, someone pays for it, and online retail is not a charity so it won't be us doing so.

you can thank amazon for that.

what people don't understand is these big companies can offer free shipping on "everything" because they get huge shipping discounts from UPS, fedex,etc. Plus they only have to make a few pennies on each sale since they make millions of sales a year

Small businesses do not have that luxury

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

The "NO RETURNS" is meaningless on eBay,

confirmed as late as Friday by Ebay CS.

Example: Clothing.. all the buyer has to do is put a RIP in it if they made a mistake in purchasing because they didnt read the descriptions. (or AFTER they used it for whatever occasion they "bought" it to wear to).

Then why not just offer returns?  Wouldn't you rather get an item returned and have the buyer pay return shipping.........or would you rather pay return shipping yourself and get back  a damaged item?  Most buyers are honest in my experience.   If you don't give them an honest way to return, some will opt for a dishonest way. 

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

What are you talking about "honest" ?

You make zero sense.

Do you understand what NO RETURN means ?

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

No returns doesn't mean anything.
Message 39 of 43
latest reply

What are you talking about "honest" ?

You make zero sense.

Do you understand what NO RETURN means ?

You miss my point which is if a buyer has the option to return they will the majority of the time take resonsibility for it and there will be relatively no consequence to you. 

Should the only option for them to return is to claim NAD, a lot of buyers very well may.  And damage your merchandise as a way to justify the return. 

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

I offer returns, and don't get many, although the few I've had of late have all claimed a defect so they can get free return shipping.  I don't mind so much, I've always gotten back my product ok and resold it.  But still dudes, give me a break.

As for free shipping, for a while I was a believer, and felt it helped sales.  Now I'm testing the waters and liking it, covering the shipping cost at reasonable flat rates makes more money.  But I still believe in some categories it sells better to have free shipping, especially if it is under 16 ounces and can be mailed 1st class package.  On heavier items, sent by Priority, I always charge appropriate shipping and the buyer sees it.  I think they accept shipping charges if they are realistic and not inflated.  

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

YOU ARE CORRECT

Never offer free shipping unless shipping is small $

I Shipped an item for $21.77.  The buyer said the pool cue had dings and wanted to return. My description stated clearly that the butt had a number of dings. Also my description graded the cue at 85-90%. Both of these condition statements should have turned the seller off or at least prompted questions before bidding. Long story short, Ebay required the buyer pay return shipping but I was still out my shipping of 21.77. The final explanation I got from Ebay is that free shipping is not part of the price of an item and a full refund is required, I cannot re-coup shipping from the buyer. Ebay advised that I should set up for shipping charges and abandon free shipping. That way only the actual price of the item has to be refunded but the shipping is not. So, it makes no sense to figure in shipping in the price of the item and use free shipping. It can come back to hurt sellers when they sell to a "Window Shopper" who wants to buy it and look at it then return it instead of reading the description. Ebay has no help to offer the Free Shippers in such a case. I tried real hard but nuthin' doin'. I had to talk to several customer suppot personnel to get the explanations and finally the advice and it took some prodding. Yes they are polite but they want to protect ebay's profits from free shipping. Shippers are not afforded a fair consideration. No justice for shippers.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000255 EndHTML:000003496 StartFragment:000001991 EndFragment:000003464 StartSelection:000001991 EndSelection:000003464 SourceURL:http://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/shipping-returns-db/message-id/156036

YOU ARE CORRECT

Never offer free shipping unless shipping is small $

I Shipped an item for $21.77.  The buyer said the pool cue had dings and wanted to return. My description stated clearly that the butt had a number of dings. Also my description graded the cue at 85-90%. Both of these condition statements should have turned the seller off or at least prompted questions before bidding. Long story short, Ebay required the buyer pay return shipping but I was still out my shipping of 21.77. The final explanation I got from Ebay is that free shipping is not part of the price of an item and a full refund is required, I cannot re-coup shipping from the buyer. Ebay advised that I should set up for shipping charges and abandon free shipping. That way only the actual price of the item has to be refunded but the shipping is not. So, it makes no sense to figure in shipping in the price of the item and use free shipping. It can come back to hurt sellers when they sell to a "Window Shopper" who wants to buy it and look at it then return it instead of reading the description. Ebay has no help to offer the Free Shippers in such a case. I tried real hard but nuthin' doin'. I had to talk to several customer suppot personnel to get the explanations and finally the advice and it took some prodding. Yes they are polite but they want to protect ebay's profits from free shipping. Shippers are not afforded a fair consideration. No justice for shippers.

Message 43 of 43
latest reply