cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Second DELIVERY EXCEPTION

I'm a seller located in Tokyo, Japan.

A buyer in Pine CO, US purchased one of my items and paid (Item price $2.22 + $21.50 Shipping)  for it on Sunday, Sep. 30.
I shipped the item on Tuesday, Oct. 1 via FedEx Envelope, added the tracking number to the ebay system, and notified the buyer of the shipment using a message.

As of yesterday, the FedEx tracking information was "DELIVERY EXCEPTION" and "We made a delivery attempt: 10/01/2020 01:32 PM. Don't wait until the next business day for your delivery. "

I sent a message to the buyer asking him to pick up his item at the FedEx facility or arrange to receive it, but he did not reply.

As of now, the tracking information says "We made another delivery attempt: 10/02/2020 01:39 PM. Pick up your package(s) today after 05:30 PM at FEDEX FACILITY: 4901 SOUTH ZUNI STREET . A final delivery attempt will be made on the next business day. Click Manage Delivery below to take more control of your package(s)." Now the scheduled delivery date is Monday Oct. 5 US time.

I have just sent a message to him, asking him to pick up his item today as instructed.

I'm afraid that FedEx will return the item to Japan if it is not delivered at a third attempt, and that I will be charged for the return fee, which will be very expensive.

Is there anyway to avoid this?

The worst scenario is that the item is returned to me, and the transaction is cancelled or the buyer opens an item not received case, then I will lose my money for both fees, shipping (from Japan to US) and return shipping (from US to Japan).

As this is a cheap item (price: $2.22), it will not cover these shipping costs even if it is returned to me, and purchased by another buyer...

Could someone advice a way to minimize the losses?

I'm at a loss.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: FedEx Second DELIVERY EXCEPTION

I wouldn't worry about it until Monday since the said the will try again then. Hopefully, the buyer will get your messages before then.  That said, what happens when you go to "Manage Delivery". Is there an option to just have them leave the package at the buyers address?

If the buyer paid with PayPal, the email your received from them should have his email address in the header. You could try sending a message to that address.

Ebay sees attempted delivery the same as delivered.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Personally I would not pay the return shipping to get an item back that sold for $2.22

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your comment, but I'm afraid that "Manage Delivery" can be used by the recipient, not by the shipper.

There seems to be three options for "Manage Delivery", HOLD AT LOCATION, DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS and VACATION HOLD.

Also, it seems I can obtain the buyer's email address only by issuing an refund to him.

I'm afraid ebay will not provide support if I contact the buyer out of ebay, anyway.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@debad4042 wrote:

Ebay sees attempted delivery the same as delivered.

and then there is PayPal, and CC if used.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, then do you no refund will be required at least?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

What is "CC"?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your reply, but I'm afraid FedEx will automatically return the item after three attempts have been made, and I will be charged for the return shipping.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

By the way, the dates in my original comment were incorrect:

"Sunday, Sep. 30" should be Sunday, Sep. 27.

"Tuesday, Oct. 1" should be Tuesday, Sep. 29.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The FedEx tracking information says that the item has been delivered and signed. So, it will not be sent back.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Great, glad it worked out.