cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI to sellers, this is how eBay handles returns. Take a look.

A customer purchased a thousand dollar 110lb generator from me. I sent it to them. To an international location outside the contiguous U.S. The customer wanted a return because, supposedly, it's broken. Here are the photos they sent to me:predator_claim_04.jpg

predator_claim_03.jpg

predator_claim_01.jpg

Now, you tell me, does this look broken to you? eBay support stated that

We have asked for more information from your customer to confirm the condition of the item received. If any additional information is needed from you we will request it through an email.

However, when I asked them to look at the photos to notice that nothing was actually damaged, they said this:

Please understand that since eBay is an online marketplace, we do not have any means to inspect the items physically. We believe that the best option that we have is to have the item returned to you so that you can inspect it upon receiving it back before issuing a refund. Once you receive the item, we encourage you to look over it carefully. We don't grant appeals for sellers based on the condition of the buyer's return, but we can discuss your other options if that becomes necessary.I trust that this information is much of a help. Thank you for choosing eBay and we really appreciate your business with us! 

I told them I wouldn't be paying return shipping on this, but somehow an "AS IS WHERE IS" and "ALL SALES FINAL" listing is being forced to foot the bill on an international return for a heavy item. I keep getting the same cookie cutter reply:

All these replies don't address the fact that none of the images show damage. What should I do?

I know that you're not a large business, and that the return shipping cost being charged to you isn't easy to bear, however; at eBay we treat sellers as businesses; plus, by selling online you are competing with large businesses (both online and traditional retail stores). Buyers appreciate excellent customer service, so by providing great experiences you're making eBay a great place to shop. This is crucial for repeat business and overall selling success. I understand that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope I've explained why we take this approach. Our experience is that a better returns experience for buyers will ultimately drive more sales for you as a seller.

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 3.06.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 3.05.38 PM.png

110 LBS!!!

Message 31 of 135
latest reply

Then why did eBay mention not being able to verify what it looked like before as if having what it looked like before was an asset?

Message 32 of 135
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

Then why did eBay mention not being able to verify what it looked like before as if having what it looked like before was an asset?

To make you feel better probably. The bottom line is, ebay didn't see the item before you shipped it and after the buyer received it. You can't prove it was undamaged when the buyer received it so ebays way of handling this is to have the buyer return the item for a full refund.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 33 of 135
latest reply

If I can prove that the generator is a different generator than the one I purchased, and I have to pay the return shipping or if eBay forces an automatic refund, then what amount should I sue for?

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 4.12.33 PM.png

It would just be the amount of the refund OR the refund and the return shipping? I guess that's my lawyer's decision. That, and whether it's eBay, the buyer, or both.

Message 34 of 135
latest reply

Who are you going to sue? I don't mean to be confrontational, but there is no one to sue here. There is a user agreement that you signed that says eBay gets to set the rules and you get to play by them.

I would never ever sell something that large internationally. Local pickup only and probably through FB or CS.  You will now have to click on "return for refund", then check the "cannot send label" box. Then you will have to send money to the buyer via Paypal and upload proof of that to eBay. Failing that, the buyer gets the refund anyway and keeps the generator.

Message 35 of 135
latest reply

Issue refund button goes to this actually:

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 4.31.07 PM.png

No option to return in the manner you described:

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 4.36.08 PM.png

Message 36 of 135
latest reply

"Of course now this means I have to seek another way of creating a label FROM the buyer TO me to send to the buyer, but HOW do I do that?"

It isn't possible.

Message 37 of 135
latest reply

Why not file a shipping damage claim and have Fed Ex or their local affiliate in whatever country it was sent to, do a visual inspection of the damage. If there was shipping damage, maybe they will cover it or at least pay the return shipping.  There does appear to be - and its hard to see because of the low quaity pix from the buyer - some minor cosmetic damage on a corner. Seems like something that a small partial refund would make right. But the buyer is aware they have you over a barrel and I suspect they see a chance of getting that $1,000 Honda clone for  free. Did you purchase any extra insurance by chance?

This whole returns issue is just out of control. I cannot see how any ebay seller would continue to ship bulky heavy items with the risk of having to pay the return freight. It is madness.

Message 38 of 135
latest reply

"If I can prove that the generator is a different generator than the one I purchased, and I have to pay the return shipping or if eBay forces an automatic refund, then what amount should I sue for?"

How would you sue someone in another country?

And even if they were in the United States, how much would it cost you to sue them?

Message 39 of 135
latest reply

So if I go the post office and purchase a label FROM the buyer TO me and send the label PDF to the buyer, and eBay automates the refund after the buyer has sent it back, what then?

Message 40 of 135
latest reply

It'd cost me $20 and a process server. Those fees get returned to me.

Message 41 of 135
latest reply

"Why not file a shipping damage claim and have Fed Ex or their local affiliate in whatever country it was sent to, do a visual inspection of the damage"

The buyer does not have to cooperate with an insurance claim.

Message 42 of 135
latest reply

When you say "keeps the generator" all I see is this:

keeps the generator

Message 43 of 135
latest reply

"So if I go the post office and purchase a label FROM the buyer TO me and send the label PDF to the buyer, and eBay automates the refund after the buyer has sent it back, what then?"

Not possible.

Message 44 of 135
latest reply

"It'd cost me $20 and a process server. Those fees get returned to me."

You would also have to travel to the buyer's location and appear in court.  How much would that cost you?

And even if you win the court case, it is very, very difficult to collect the judgment.

Message 45 of 135
latest reply