cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUDULENT ORDERS (AGAIN)

So I spent several hours on the phone with both eBay and Paypal about a rash of fraudlent orders from stolen accounts lately. Did you know that Paypal has absolutley no intention of implementing Prevention measures, and eBay has no intention of communicating with Paypal about cancelled transactions? Now I'm getting defects for NOT SHIPPING FRAUDLUENT ORDERS because of the lack of communication, and the Concierge team is usually very helpful in this situation, but this time, nobody seems to know what to do to cancel these bogus transactions, and I was advised to LIE and mark them as shipped. What in the actual ...?

I'm actually looking forward to another payment processing service, with the hopes and expectations that the service will be more secure than Paypal. Neither eBay nor Paypal is doing enough to PREVENT fraud, and prevention is just as important, if not moreso, than protection. I am in total disbelief right now, that I am going to be punished by eBay for cancelled fraudulent transactions by Paypal. 

Trinton@eBay, do you have any suggestions on what to do here, because I am totally stumped in the responses I've received from both eBay and Paypal. 

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

I'm curious ... how do you know that they are fraudulent? 

Is it unverified PayPal addresses?  Fake payment emails?

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

The rightful owners of the account contact me and tell me they "didn't make the purchase, please don't ship, that is not my address". Paypal does not care who you're sending it to as long as it's an actual physical address. There are absolutley NO security measures in place, when a buyer changes the shipping address, and that should be CLUE # 1 for ANY payment processing site.

Pretty clear to be fraud and I believe it's an inside job.

Always on accounts without recent activity, always on accounts with auto Paypal log-in. Who might be privvy to this infomration?

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Also, I started googling the shipping addresses, and they are all coincidentally properties that are currently on the market. They are not occupied homes.
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

How are you canceling? If your talking to the owner of the account and they say don't ship, that's a buyer requested the cancel and you won't get dinged.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Same adress/people?

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 6 of 38
latest reply

They are opening the disputes in Paypal because they discover a charge that they didn't make. Paypal is not communicating that with eBay and the orders still show as active, awaiting shipment, when I resolve the case in Paypal. Cannot cancel in eBay at buyer's request when there's a Paypal dispute open, and Paypal doesn't tell eBay that the case is closed.
At this point, I am more frustrated with Paypal than with eBay because the CSRs have really been trying to help and after talking with 4 different people, one of the eBay reps was able to figure out what was happening. So much time was wasted in trying to resolve an issue without defect to either eBay or Paypal accounts.
Message 7 of 38
latest reply

No, not same address. Not same name. They are not changing the names of ship-to, just address.
Message 8 of 38
latest reply

@plumbingspecialswrote:
They are opening the disputes in Paypal because they discover a charge that they didn't make. Paypal is not communicating that with eBay and the orders still show as active, awaiting shipment, when I resolve the case in Paypal. Cannot cancel in eBay at buyer's request when there's a Paypal dispute open, and Paypal doesn't tell eBay that the case is closed.
At this point, I am more frustrated with Paypal than with eBay because the CSRs have really been trying to help and after talking with 4 different people, one of the eBay reps was able to figure out what was happening. So much time was wasted in trying to resolve an issue without defect to either eBay or Paypal accounts.

So are you not shipping at all or are they filing disputes saying they did not order this? Are you shipping the item to the address on file with PayPal? if so, just add the tracking number and your done. If its not the address on file, why in the world are you shipping at all? If the address doesnt match, file the cancel with problem with buyers address.  Again, that wont ding you.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 9 of 38
latest reply

@plumbingspecialswrote:
No, not same address. Not same name. They are not changing the names of ship-to, just address.

Then go into ebay and cancel the order with problem with the buyers address. Do NOT ship to alternate addresses. I usually tell the buyer that I can only ship to the address on file and am having to cancel the order. If they want the item they need to change their paypal address and rebuy it.

PayPal will protect you if you ship to the address they tell you to ship to.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 10 of 38
latest reply

The problem isn't that Paypal isn't covering us, the problem is that we are receiving these disputes after they are shipped, and we have to request for the item to be returned to us, meaning we lose the cost to ship it, we lose the fee to return it to our warehouse and we lose our final value fees on eBay. It's easier when they open the claim in eBay, but in most cases, they don't. I HAVE to ship to the address on the order, I do not ever see the address on file. And I HAVE to ship within the handling time or I get the ding on my account. Basically, I am being punished for being robbed, all because eBay and Paypal stopped communicating when they parted ways.
Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Again, I cannot cancel an order in eBay when there is a Paypal case opened on it. The system will not allow it, and that is an additional problem, let alone the fact that Paypal lets anyone purchase anything on anyone else's account without an ounce of prevention. Protection after the fact is counter-intuitive, and nobody wins.
Message 12 of 38
latest reply

if you shipped to the address on the order (double check PayPal, they have the same address on the order) you don't have to do anything expect put he trackIng number in he PayPal case and that shows you shipped where they told you to. It's the one situation where PayPal will cover you.

Been there and done it. No need to cancel the order either.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 13 of 38
latest reply

What are the requirements for PayPal Seller Protection?
Initial Requirements
  1. Ship to the address on the Transaction Details page.
  2. The item sold must be a physical, tangible item that can be shipped. This means intangible items such as digital goods and services are not covered.
  3. You must respond to PayPal's request for documentation and other relevant information in a timely fashion, typically within ten business days.
  4. Your permanent address (as listed in your PayPal account) must be in the United States.
  5. Depending on the claim type, whether the claim is "Item Not Received" or "Unauthorized Payment," there are additional requirements listed below.

For "Unauthorized Payments" complaints:

1. The payment must be marked "eligible" on the Transaction Details Page.
You must provide Proof of Delivery or Proof of Shipment as described below. 
What is Proof of Delivery?

Proof of Delivery is online documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

1. The item's status as delivered.
  2. The date the item was delivered.
  3. The recipient's address, showing at least the city and state, or city and country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent). The address information on your shipping receipt must match the address on the Transaction Details page.
 What is signature confirmation for transactions of $750 or more?

What is Proof of Shipment?

Proof of Shipment is online or physical documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

1. The date the item was shipped.
  2. The recipient's address, showing at least the city and state, or city and country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent). The address information on your shipping receipt must match the address on the Transaction Details page.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 14 of 38
latest reply

I do not want the thief to receive the item, just because Paypal is covering me and the rightful buyer, the thief is getting away with his thievery, and getting an expensive item to sell and make his own money on it. So, it's not just about the money, it's about the principle. Paypal is doing NOTHING to prevent this, and THAT is my gripe, let alone the issue of the lack of communication between eBay and Paypal, that causes the innocent buyers and sellers to get phucked.
Message 15 of 38
latest reply