cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless returns with "doesn't match description or photos" when it does - no recourse in sight.

Has anyone else gotten nearly endless returns where the buyers claim the item doesn't match description or photos when the item does?

I have noticed this seems to be a go to with buyers who regret their decisions but don't want to pay shipping to send it back on their own dime.

What is the recourse for sellers? We get no option to dispute the claim or even ask for proof before the reason is selected. And from there, the buyer cannot change their return reason.

Many of these buyers make threats of negative feedback if we don't accept the return, but how can you when they provide the wrong return reason? 

Is this problem getting out of hand for anyone else?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Endless returns with "doesn't match description or photos" when it does - no recourse

You sell in a category that has a high return rate.  Vintage purses and clothing can be subjective.  It may say used but the buyer may expect it to look new no matter how you describe it.  They can attend flea markets or thrift stores and may see one similar to yours and feel they were cheated in price if the cost is less then they paid for yours.  They may change their mind after buying it. 

They use snad so they do not have to pay return shipping.  It is unfair but ebay has designed it so buyers are very rarely wrong.  If the buyer complains your only recourse is to send a label and accept the return, to stay in good standing with ebay.

You can report the buyers for threatening you with negative feedback.  

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Endless returns with "doesn't match description or photos" when it does - no recourse

I agree = the system of returns is unfair and costly to sellers because eBay insists on the buyer being free and easy at any cost to the seller. 

It has often been suggested to average returns into the cost of items - like real stores do - since the ability to charge a return fee was taken away from sellers.  If you are wasting 15$ for example on returns a month - then increase prices on 15 items by $1.15 to cover it. (the .15 is for extra fees).  That is the only solution I can think of in the short range. Long range - keep good records and take the deduction as a loss on your taxes.

Good luck.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@happy_lama_boot_co wrote:

Is this problem getting out of hand for anyone else?

It has been out of hand since ebay went entirely buyer centric.

The large majority of SNADs are fake ones for us....and now ebay in their infinite wisdom allows and encourages fake INRs to be opened for closed unpaid items.

You can expect further innovations.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I'm having the same issue. I'm in the clothing business and don't accept returns.  I'm now getting returns accepted by ebay if the clothes don't fit in spite of my many measurements included in the description.  I can't stay in business with this expense.  The margins are reduced now due to competition from other markets so raising the price doesn't make sense to me.  It seems that all returns will be accepted by ebay for any reason! 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

What is SNAD?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@classactor wrote:
What is SNAD?

Significantly Not As Described

Which simply means "pay up no matter what"

Message 7 of 7
latest reply