cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay refusing to refund return shipping

Back in January I purchased an items from England, a ceramic pocket watch stand. 

The stand arrived damaged and on 1/30/17 I notified the seller and Ebay.

On  2/1/17 eBay sent a message that the seller accepted my return , and I should receive a return shipping label by 2/5/17.

On the same day  I get the below message from eBay;

"Hi profdata,

aquarius-emporium let us know that they can't buy a return shipping label for you to use for XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXx  WATCH STAND OFFICIAL PARAMOUNT.

The seller is still responsible for return shipping costs, so contact them to arrange return shipping" ----

I then call them,a and the tell me to print the postage with sahipping, and the selle will have to refund me .

I  printed the postage $23.50, with tracking.

Package arrived at his home town on 2/8/17,  with attempted delivery (UK said vat & customs need to be paid), so it sat.

I messaged the seller and told him tracking shows a deliver attempt. He then said that he saw the postal slip on his door, and since it said vat & custons fee might be due, he would not pick it up or have them try to redeliver it. He said he never pays vat or customs fee, so it will just sit there.

I then sent him  a lint to the UK postal site  showing him the form that needs to be filled out to wave the vat and customs fees on returned items.

Seller replied nope, don't do those.

On 2/14/18 I called eBay and explained what has been going on, and that he is refusing to pick up the package. eBay said no proble we will refund you your purchase price and shipping, but not the return shipping, and to contact Paypal about to get the return shipping refunded.

On 2/16/17 I called paypal and told them what eBay had said.

Paypal rep said they can only refund the origina transaction amount, (if I ebay didn't) not the return shipping.

I then called ebay and spoke with a rep, who said they can not refund the return shipping fee, I then pointed out the mesage eBay had sent me telling me to purchase the return postage.

She said I don't know why that was even sent to you, the seller prints the return shipping and if they refuse, we refund under the Buyer Protection Plan, and you keep the broken item. 

I then again told her to look ant the message eBya sent me telling me to print and pay the return postage.

She put me onhold for 5 minutes, and than said she will talk to a supervisor. The rep said I could get an eBay credit/voucher, once approved by a supervisor, which would take a day. 

As of today still nothing, no email, or phone call, nothing.

I'm still out the return shipping $23.50

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

You are supposed to have the seller send you money through PayPal for the return shipping before shipping the package.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Unfortunately, both eBay and PayPal reps gave bad advice.  Neither has any way to force a seller to reimburse return shipping, and paypal buyer protection requires the buyer to return at their own expense.  If you wish to pursue this, you might call ebay until you get a rep willing to give you a courtesy credit.  Good luck....

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

No, the seller clicks on a link from eBay, which sends a link to the buyer to print the return postage.

This seller said he couldn't , and eBay belived him.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

That's not how it works, sorry.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

seller in UK can't click a link to provide a shipping label from the USA

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@profdatawrote:

No, the seller clicks on a link from eBay, which sends a link to the buyer to print the return postage.

This seller said he couldn't , and eBay belived him.

No. The seller is correct. Ebay cannot issue an international return label and neither can the seller. There was NO LINK for the seller to click. You needed to collect the return shipping cost upfront via paypal and then get ebay involved if the seller didn't pay up.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Sorry the Buyer Protection Plan states "The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation"

Ebay screwed up

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@profdatawrote:

Sorry the Buyer Protection Plan states "The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation"

Ebay screwed up

@profdataNot an ebay screw up. Have you read all the responses here? You were told to contact the seller to make arrangements since a label wasn't available. If you didn't do that, ebay didn't screw up. It sounds like you contacted ebay rather than the seller, that was your screw up. We know what the MBG says and we know how it works. It works just fine when used correctly. If the seller agreed to reimburse you, contact customer service as they should issue you a coupon since the seller did not honor his promise.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Really, so the item I sold and buyer wanted to return, I didn't do correctly

eBay sent me an e-mail with a link in it (for return postage), I clicked on it, and buyer was sent link to print postage to return to me. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@profdatawrote:

Really, so the item I sold and buyer wanted to return, I didn't do correctly

eBay sent me an e-mail with a link in it (for return postage), I clicked on it, and buyer was sent link to print postage to return to me. 

Um....thats because it was a DOMESTIC transaction and ebay can issue a USPS return label. Again, an international return label is not possible, ebay cannot issue one therefore the seller cannot click a link to send one. On a domestic transaction when both buyer and seller are in the US or the UK, ebay is able to issue a return label.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

As posted  above the Seller said  via the eBay message center, to sent the item back, and when he gets it he would refund me the return shipping.

I even told him what the cost was going to be, he said no problem, once he gets it he will refund the return postage.

I then called ebay because that didn't sound right, and they )(EBAY)  told me to PURCHASE the RETURN POSTAGE, that the seller just wants to make sure he gets the item back, before he refunds the return shipping, so just pay and print the return label.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

The seller and eBay lied to you, sorry.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

As posted  above the Seller said  via the eBay message center, to sent the item back, and when he gets it he would refund me the return shipping.  I even told him what the cost was going to be, he said no problem, once he gets it he will refund the return postage.

I then called ebay because that didn't sound right.

The seller was apparently lying to you, and unfortunately there is no way to force him to honor his promise.

The eBay rep was just ignorant.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

The message did you tell you to contact the seller but ebay should not have told you to buy the postage on your own.  There are sellers that would follow through and pay you but if they don't there is nothing that ebay can do. 

I don't know exactly how ebay should word the messages that buyers and sellers see in international return situations but they really do need to more specific than they are.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply