cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay changing dimension of packages after saving

I am wondering if other ebay sellers are seeing this issue and reporting it. Over the past few months any item that I list for sale that has a height that is higher than the length, Ebay will automatically change the dimensions after saving. For instance, lets say you have an item which is shipping in a large box that is 18 X 18 X 24. When you save those measurements ebay will automatically alter it to 24 X 18 X 18. I have reported this twice to ebay customer service who supposedly have opened tickets with IT. To this day it is still not fixed and I have even replicated it multiple times over the phone with ebay reps. No one ever gets back to me and it never gets fixed. Obviously you are going to have items you ship with a box height or depth that is much higher than the length or width of the box. Why is this happening?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I have always just entered mine largest dim to smallest regardless of whether it is length or height.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This is normal.

Regardless of how the measurements are made, its always biggest side first to smallest.  Always.  So yeah, it will re-sort it.

From my experience its always been this way.  And eBay isn't the only site to do this either.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@brains2250 wrote: ... an item which is shipping in a large box that is 18 X 18 X 24. When you save those measurements ebay will automatically alter it to 24 X 18 X 18. I have reported this twice to ebay customer service who supposedly have opened tickets with IT. To this day it is still not fixed ...

Length is defined as the longest side.  USPS even has this stated somewhere in their policies manual.  So eBay is doing you a favor by arranging your package dimensions in the correct order for you. There is nothing to "fix."

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I guess this is the first time I have run into this. Still seems odd to even have L X W X H in the first place for this type of scenario. I have confirmed this on the USPS website though, so I appreciate the help and clarification.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If it bothers your head to list the dims that way, just tip your box over and the height will then be the length.   I'm just joking, but boxes never stay positioned the same way as they travel through the system.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Just curious... why does this matter? It doesnt affect the postage cost in any manner....

Message 7 of 7
latest reply