cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Envelope- Scammers..The USPS response and EBay response..... causing lots of problems

Dear Ebayers,

HI!( first post here!)

I'm using Ebay Standard Envelope to ship seeds . Small orders under $3 mostly. And the amount of Ebay standard envelopes that I've sent not even scanned into possession is 14... the amount marked accepted but tracking doesn't update is about 50, and the number of tracking updates but no delivery updates is around 60+ as well. This is out of 300 orders aprox. THESE ARE TERRIBLE STATISTICS! Now, out of over almost ONE THIRD of the orders having messed up tracking, I've had around least 25+ refunds requested that I refunded.

Now.... how many of those are people lying and how many of those are actually not getting the seeds? Because if they really didn't arrive, then why didn';t all the other people( around 75 others) ask for refunds too? OH YEAH because they actually got their seeds and aren't lying.

Does anyone else think I'm wrong here? I think some scamming buyers know how bad the system is, and rip off sellers all the time. I mean a ONE THIRD CHANCE of a free item? wow.

This is really bad. Ebay really needs to fix this. /continues rant. The Agreements between USPS And ebay is BROKEN

SO here's what I tried to do about it. My first stop after I got my first message for a refund because " item not recived" was to go to the USPS location nearby and inquire, and also try to get the lady to accept one of the envelopes with standard envelope and she was like " WHAT IS THAT TRACKING NUMBER" I said " It's Ebay standard Envelope, it's and agreement with Ebay and the USPS"//// and then she raised her voice and said " EBAY DOESNT TELL THE USPS WHAT TO DO." I was like " OH OK" she was like " THIS IS A PACKAGE AND 64 CENTS WON'T COVER IT" and explained it would have to be $4.55 or whatever for " ground advantage"  So yeah, that already tells me the USPS own employees don't even know about EBay standard envelope.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

So my next stop is ebay customer service chat, which after wasting an hour the final solution was that they made a tek support ticket for me that they were going to  "look into it"" - BUt that I would receive NO RESPONSE about what they do or find out. And then the Ebay rep left it at that and LEFT THE MEETING after I could even ask " what do you mean I won't find anything out" ..... Needless to say I was pretty mad about that. No answer, and all that tinme lost!

SO!- I guess the last thing here is- Am I REALLY stuck waiting until 30 days to file an insurance report that has crazy hard requirements like looking up the private messages, screenshotting sales reports screenshots of the buyers message complaining. Like- it's a LOT and very time consuming. ANd then you have to wait even longer to get a refund? all for just a couple bucks? This can't be right

This is me seems like a disaster for sellers and I am guessing most/some sellers just "write off" the refund losses because it's such a Pain to file insurance reports one at a time?

Please someone here help me with what to do or how to fix this or something! I'm feeling like I'm just going to take ALL my seed auctions down and decide as a seller to not use the Ebay Standard envelope system.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anything is appreciated!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay Standard Envelope- Scammers..The USPS response and EBay response..... causing lots of probl

I used to be a big proponent of EsE but not anymore.  As you stated, too many non-scans with buyers filing INR regardless if the items were received. 

Over 1 year ago, there was a poster on these boards stating EsE was just a fast track to ruining your seller account due to INR's.

Here's another thing I've noticed with EsE; the estimated delivery times are way off.  EsE is extremely slow, yet Ebay has less than a week for estimated delivery time.  I have these buyers that watch the auto scan feature like a hawk, believing it's actual tracking, despite me repeatedly letting the buyer know if they want true tracking, it's going to cost minimum $5.  It's hard to believe but these low value buyers getting free to $0.95 cent shipping, still feel shipping is too much.  Instead, they constantly message me asking if I can somehow check on the tracking.  Around and around we go.

I'm greatful for the business, but I read somewhere, maybe an antique emporium forum, the poster stated this: $3 items brings you $3 customers.  Translated: cheap items brings you cheap customers.

Btw, the auto scan service can only be scanned at major USPS hubs with automated belt and scanning feature.  These are essentially meter mail.  No USPS employee, mailmen, or anyone can scan these EsE numbers.  I hestitate to call it tracking because it isn't; and I don't want to even give even a hint to buyers that it's tracking.  Whenever I'm messaging with buyers, I make a clear distinction that it's not tracking.

In regards to the insurance: it's easy to fill out and covers up to $20 for single item orders and up to $50 for multiple item orders.

Below is the link and instructions to filing a claim with EsE.  I've so far found the payouts are quick with no frills.  But, as I end this response, I'll just state that I'm close to abandoning EsE, bulking the cheaper items in lots and ship ground advantage instead.  The grass appears much more green on the GA side.

EsE Insurance Claim Page with instructions.  Follow instructions to the letter.

https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim

Notes_240313_001959_2bc.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Ebay Standard Envelope- Scammers..The USPS response and EBay response..... causing lots of probl

I used to be a big proponent of EsE but not anymore.  As you stated, too many non-scans with buyers filing INR regardless if the items were received. 

Over 1 year ago, there was a poster on these boards stating EsE was just a fast track to ruining your seller account due to INR's.

Here's another thing I've noticed with EsE; the estimated delivery times are way off.  EsE is extremely slow, yet Ebay has less than a week for estimated delivery time.  I have these buyers that watch the auto scan feature like a hawk, believing it's actual tracking, despite me repeatedly letting the buyer know if they want true tracking, it's going to cost minimum $5.  It's hard to believe but these low value buyers getting free to $0.95 cent shipping, still feel shipping is too much.  Instead, they constantly message me asking if I can somehow check on the tracking.  Around and around we go.

I'm greatful for the business, but I read somewhere, maybe an antique emporium forum, the poster stated this: $3 items brings you $3 customers.  Translated: cheap items brings you cheap customers.

Btw, the auto scan service can only be scanned at major USPS hubs with automated belt and scanning feature.  These are essentially meter mail.  No USPS employee, mailmen, or anyone can scan these EsE numbers.  I hestitate to call it tracking because it isn't; and I don't want to even give even a hint to buyers that it's tracking.  Whenever I'm messaging with buyers, I make a clear distinction that it's not tracking.

In regards to the insurance: it's easy to fill out and covers up to $20 for single item orders and up to $50 for multiple item orders.

Below is the link and instructions to filing a claim with EsE.  I've so far found the payouts are quick with no frills.  But, as I end this response, I'll just state that I'm close to abandoning EsE, bulking the cheaper items in lots and ship ground advantage instead.  The grass appears much more green on the GA side.

EsE Insurance Claim Page with instructions.  Follow instructions to the letter.

https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim

Notes_240313_001959_2bc.jpg

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

you're facing a frustrating situation with the eBay Standard Envelope shipping option, particularly with unreliable tracking and potential refund requests from buyers claiming non-receipt of items. Here are some suggestions and insights:

1. Document Everything: Keep records of all your transactions, including tracking numbers, buyer messages, and any interactions with eBay customer service. This documentation will be crucial if you need to file insurance claims or dispute refund requests.

2. Review eBay Policies: Familiarize yourself with eBay's seller protection policies and the process for filing insurance claims or disputing refund requests. Understanding your rights and responsibilities as a seller can help you navigate these situations more effectively.

3. Consider Alternative Shipping Options: If you're experiencing ongoing issues with the eBay Standard Envelope option, it may be worth exploring alternative shipping methods for your seed shipments. Look into other options offered by eBay or consider using a different shipping provider that offers more reliable tracking and delivery confirmation.

4. Communicate with Buyers: When buyers request refunds or report non-receipt of items, communicate with them promptly and professionally. Ask for their patience and provide any relevant information or updates on the status of their shipment.

5. Evaluate Risk vs. Reward: Assess the potential risk and impact of continuing to use the eBay Standard Envelope option for your seed shipments. Consider factors such as the likelihood of refund requests, the time and effort required to file insurance claims, and the overall impact on your business.

6. Seek Support from eBay: If you're experiencing significant issues with the eBay Standard Envelope option, consider reaching out to eBay customer support for assistance. They may be able to provide guidance or escalate your concerns to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Ultimately, it's important to prioritize the satisfaction and trust of your buyers while also protecting your interests as a seller. Assess your options carefully and take proactive steps to address any issues or concerns that arise in your eBay transactions.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thank you so much Treveler73

I marked this best answer and problem solved, thank you.

I mean you pretty much said it all! Thank you again. And it sucks, but you know what? I'm going to join you on the greener grass side of things with Ground Advantage shipping very very soon.

WHY Ebay hasn't fixed this yet if it's been an ongoing problem I don't know but the amount of TIME Wasted is massive. .... and by eEBay as well, but they know that most people are not going to take the time to contact them and then file the insurance.. or at least some of the people.. so they win out and sellers lose 😞

PS- 4th time thank you!~

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@27teamswords 

As @traveler73 has mentioned, USPS considers the ESE to be contracted business metered mail, which can NOT be scanned by USPS counter employees or USPS delivery carriers.  The initial "scan" is provided at the first USPS Distribution Center, and there may be further "scans" along the way, until the final "Delivered" scan at the post office matching the ZIP Code of the buyer's residential address -- and NOT the actual residence of the buyer, which will normally occur a few days later.

If your buyers are becoming anxious regarding those "Delivered" scans, you might suggest that they wait just a few days more, since the "Delivered" information shows that their purchases are nearby, and are only waiting for their post offices to make delivery.

And the best way to receive that initial "scan" at your post office, is to mail your ESEs in the "Metered Mail" slot in the lobby of your post office -- don't hand it to a USPS counter employee (as you discovered!), or a USPS mail carrier.  Likewise, don't drop the ESEs in a USPS "blue-box," or your home mailbox, or a business mailing service.

The "Metered Mail" slot in your post office lobby is designed particularly for contracted business metered mail -- and that includes the ESE.  Once you mail the ESE in the "Metered Mail" slot, it is mixed in with other pieces of "Metered Mail," which means that it can be immediately added to the automatic sorting machines at the USPS Distribution Center, where it will receive that initial scan -- which is critical for any insurance payments from eBay for "lost" ESEs.  

Your local post office does NOT provide that scan -- it can ONLY receive that scan at the first USPS Distribution Center to which it is delivered -- and that initial scan may not be made for several days, depending on whether you mail your ESEs on a Friday, or during a USPS three-day holiday.

And the main problem regarding the ESE is flexibility -- if the ESE can not be nearly bended in half, it is not flexible enough to push through the high speed, automatic sorting machines at the USPS Distribution Centers.  ESEs which jam up the sorting machines are marked "nonmachinable," and either returned to the seller with "Postage Due," or -- even worse -- sent to the buyer with "Postage Due."

Hope that answers a few of your questions -- good luck.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

THank you KIndly Davy C!

You and Traveler are the best. But wanna know what's interesting? Is I have been sending ESUS from my home mailbox for months no with no problem- so maybe something has changed or I just got lucky. Like almost all of the 300 seed envelopes I sent, were from a home envelope with ESE... and they get there just fine, and around 1/3 even get marked "delivered!"

But THANK YOU very much I had no idea about the metered mail dropoff. You are the best. I'm going to add this information to my listings so buyers know!

Hopefully others will see this !

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

As long as there is at least 1 scan the insurance will cover refunds for items that were refunded as not delivered . ESE is a crap shoot I guess I've had 1 not received complaint and 1 damaged complaint out of 2000+ shipments . 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I feel your pain. I do refunds every week for items with no tracking.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

DavyCrockett,

Just an FYI -- not every post office has a metered mail slot.  In fact, the 3 in my area (10-15 miles) do not have such a slot.

I asked one of the clerks how they manage metered mail ... and I was told they put the metered mail in with the regular mail.  They would accept the ESE over the counter just like regular mail. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

My local PO puts ESE with the flats....whatever those are...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@anasazirose 

In USPS terminology, "flats" are large envelopes -- usually First Class mail -- per the USPS site:

"The Postal Service uses the word "flats" to refer to large envelopes, newsletters, and magazines. The words large envelopes and flats are used interchangeably. Whatever you call them, flats must:

• Have one dimension that is greater than 6-1/8 inches high OR 11-½ inches long OR ¼ inch thick.
  • Be no more than 12 inches high x 15 inches long x ¾ inch thick."
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

That is where my local put mine today. Did yours get scanned? 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply