cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay HAS NO seller protection!! forced returns

Ebay thinks that they are amazon or Walmart now forcing buying to take returns regardless of remorse or purchased by mistake. Very aggravated that customer who want to return something can simply choose “does not match photos or not as described “ and Ebay will force the return on sellers. This an action site I don’t know why they keep trying to be like amazon it’s a joke. There has been so much fraud on the platform with this change it just doesn’t work.  I sold a broken phone for parts or repair. The listing description clearly stated that the device was not functional and needed to be repaired for parts. The pictures even showed that the device was broken and stuck on the Apple logo. The customer devices the item and opens up a return request stating that “the description wasn’t good enough” so Ebay forced me to take the return. Ebay stated “if the buyer is not happy with the item they have every right to return it with the new policy. This is a joke. I sell damaged  phones that need to be repaired if people can just buy broken things and can’t fix they Ebay now let’s them get a refund!! What a joke, there is no seller protection but more FRAUD happening on ebays platform. They are forcing sellers to accept returns against their will. They think there a big box retailer YOUR NOT! Your an auction site that is loosing all its credibility that it work so hard for over the last decade because you are trying to follow suit of other BOG BOX RETAILERS (which your not) and it’s pushing ALL its seller away! Policy needs to back their sellers as the sellers pay the high fees to cover Ebay’s bills! Buyers abuse returns = fraud 

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Ebay HAS NO seller protection!! forced returns

@esg-enterprises wrote:
Haven't tried it yet, but doesn't ebay say you can hold up to 50% if you are not satisfied the item returned was in the same condition? I'm sure that won't work out too well, but ebay CSR's are always telling me this.

@esg-enterprises You have to offer 30 day free returns in order to issue a partial refund up to 50% and the buyer can fight the partial refund but supposedly if they do, eBay coughs up the rest of the refund not the seller.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 61 of 89
latest reply

@winzday0143 wrote:

I SOLD A PHONE, & the buyer recieved it 4 DAYS AGO. I dont hear A PEEP from her until ALL THE SUDDEN, she claims its defective and dont automatically connect to wifi. This is ALL UNTRUE. The device was funtioning JUST FINE when i shipped it out. Now, Ive been screwed BIG TIME on a diff. site a while back. I sold a samsung note 8 and when i accepted the return, it was NOT the same device i sent. It was clearly switched out and they got refunded as well as the phone while i was out a $900 phone as well as my $450 i was selling it for.  If Im buying a pricey item, & something is wrong, the 1ST thing Im doing is inspecting it closely and IMMIDIATLEY contacting ebay and the seller to state my issue. I am NOT waiting 4 freakin days to say something. How do i know she is going to send me the item i sent her? Then it CLEARLY says NO RETURNS...aka NO BUYERS REMORSE... AM I JUST BEING FORCED TO DO WHAT MY LISTING PROHIBITS? NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY PRODUCT. I AM LABELED AS AN OUTSTANDING EBAY SELLER....More like a SCREWED SELLER 

If you sell on eBay and you take PayPal, you need to understand that the buyer has up to 180 days of buyer protection and you can’t hide behind your no returns policy. The money back guarantee trumps your no returns policy.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 62 of 89
latest reply

Close to the same experience here.Buyer said the perfume was not the same perfume that was supposed to be in the bottle. Mind you they had it a week before deciding this. I know this was not the case but it does not make a difference.In this case the buyer bought 2 things and had them mailed together.So when they want to return 1 they get a refund for shipping for both so essentially they got the 1 item shipped for free. I made 3 calls to ebay about this but do not think anything will be done. In fact they will refund the money as soon as it is delivered back before I see if I get a half used bottle or nothing at all. I think perfume is way too big a risk to sell on ebay anymore.

Message 63 of 89
latest reply

Apparently a lot of sellers still haven't figured out that regardless of what they've set as their listing policies or how they've described their items, buyers can always return any item they want within the first 30 days.... and often longer.

All a buyer has to do is choose the "item not as described" option and the return will be forced back against the seller, and shipping will be charged to the seller as well.

There is no judgement, evaluation or justification required from the buyer.

In the details text box they could probably copy and paste text from a random online article, book or poem and it would have no effect.

But, as a practical matter, all they really need to do is simply state "Does not match description and photos."

There's no actual critical review that's going to occur on eBay's part.

I've had returns "reviewed" and settled by eBay in mere moments in the middle of the night, where both sides had provided text and photos that would clearly take more than a few minutes to review.

I've had buyers admit they installed electronic computer parts where the listing clearly specified returns were not allowed if the component was installed.

I had a buyer provide a photo (by mistake) proving an item was working (along with the photos they supplied trying to claim that it was not working). My next comment in the email chain pointed this out so that it could not be missed by any staff reviewing the evidence.

Folks, there is now review of evidence.

Since eBay isn't providing the product, they don't have money invested and suffer no loss.

Therefore, their business process tells them the most profitable course of action is to always side with the buyer and let you the seller take the loss.

It's a classic Win-Win-Lose situation.

(Buyer-Ebay-You)

And no, it doesn't matter what any CS representative has told you one the phone, so don't waste your time documenting your calls and their name.

It's no coincidence that they are not permitted to put their words in writing and email them to you.

So, if you were thinking of opening a thread asking about advice regarding buyers abusing the eBay system for returning items... sadly, the response really is:

Yeah, and?

You're mostly likely going to lose and then just call CS and ask to open and appeal.

Only at that point is an human going to have any actual involvement.

It's not unlike they horror stories you used to hear about insurance companies that would simply deny all claims without bothering to review them, only actually considering those that bothered to appeal.

Some companies (eBay included) consider this to be a profitable tactic because many will give up and then the problem goes away on it's own.

Message 64 of 89
latest reply

> "Ebay thinks that they are amazon or Walmart " Yes this is true and is something that you will need to accept because it is going to become more so .

Well, OK then, but then the sellers can just refuse to supply the merchandise.

Message 65 of 89
latest reply

please tell us you blocked the bidder..

Message 66 of 89
latest reply

Just put store on vacation until something gets done. Told Ebay it would cost them much more in one month invoice, then it is costing me. Other than complete frustration ! Buyer left negative feed back, messaged ( June 1 ) he would revise if 5 more parts shipped to him ( didn't read anything in title or description ) and would provide 5 star rating. By June 12, he has opened case as " item not as described " and said doesn't meet oem specifications. " Part is scrap metal " , but I guess he needed 5 more. All this information is well documented and supposedly reviewed. On June 18 th, I am instructed to provide a return label for item ( Canada ) at my expense and then I can appeal ? They are handling this all wrong. Ebay admits to the extortion, but handling as 2 separate issues. They are ignoring the timeline of events and no consideration that it is in retaliation.

Message 67 of 89
latest reply

Thank you for that, and someone that actually sells product on ebay would be able to relate.

Message 68 of 89
latest reply

A buyer can state any reason for returning an item as long as they check not as described. They can claim a baseball will not make your car fly, check not as described then get a full refund plus return shipping.

Message 69 of 89
latest reply

I was told yesterday eBay did this to encourage the acceptance of returns. I told the rep kind of like American slaves were encouraged to work harder with a whip.

Message 70 of 89
latest reply

eBay has forgotten that sellers are buyers too. I have reduced my buying over the years to nearly zero because of their continued attacks on sellers. I no longer feel any loyalty to buy where I sell.

Message 71 of 89
latest reply

OMG I'm so aggravated right now.  I am an infrequent seller, basically became disabled and unable to work so I sell my nice career clothes and such on ebay to help make ends meet. My store policy is No Returns, which I honestly thought was a valid option. I sold a designer handbag in EUC with many photos and all measurements. The buyer requested a return because "it doesn't fit."  She says the strap is too short. There is literally a photo of the strap with a tape measure beside it!! I offered a 10% refund which she refused. Ebay's options to me: accept the return or give a full refund without return. What?? How is this MY choice whether to accept returns? Grrrrr.

Also, if anyone knows how to block a specific user from future sales please let me know.

Message 72 of 89
latest reply

Yours is a view that many, especially inside eBay share, as expressed by reponses lately from return problems that have caused me to call customer service at eBay.

I keep hearing "we are moving to the industry standard" from eBay reps.  It's as if they feel that if they bang the drum loud enough, long enough that we will embrace it.

But let's review their claim of an "industry standard"  

I don't think anyone will argue that Ebay started as an on-line auction company for new, used, pre-owned, vintage, antique, broken and liquadation items.

I have worked in the auction industry for 20 years and have never heard a single auctioneeer state that "purchases are warrantied" or can be returned.  In fact, they use some form of "as is, where is, without remorse or guarentee" and buyers buy that way every day.

So. as long as eBay has a block for Sellers to mark on the listing form that says "No Return" option, they should stand behind that choice the same as they do "Free Returns" or "30 day Returns" and review all cases of "not as described" overrides, which is how buyers have learned to get around the no return policy.  But eBay has kept the "no return" option, while electing to ignore it, as they push us all to give free or easy returns.

OK, it is true that the Walmarts, Targets and Home Depots have great and easy return policies, but eBay is not a store chain only selling New items, like the other big box stores.

eBay has had phenomenal growth and eBay may want to be in the same "industry" as Walmart, but they are not.  They still have one hand in the Retail Big Box market, and the other in the small business, casual seller market.  There is no "industry standard" to cover eBay, so the drum beats to create the one their new CEO feels will increase profits and shareholder dividents and it currentlly seems to be at the expense of small sellers.

Again, if eBay allows used, pre-owned or "parts/or repair" items to be listed, they have an obligation to protect Sellers from "parts harvesting", getting sent back swapped/damaged items or items intenionally damaged to allow the buyer to avoid shipping.  That makes common sense.

In their push to increase sales, they have upset the balance between buyer rights and Seller Protection and as long as it is out of wack, the issues will continue to be in the minds of Sellers who ask "is eBay still for me?"

This is very evident watching YOUTUBE videos made by Sellers like Ralli Roots and Craigslist Hunter, who are mid-size and still have the same return issues we all do.  They show that if you have a large social media presence (like they do) and put your issues with bad returns public, eBay calls them.  The rest of us small sellers are on our own, since eBay seems intent on "Anchor Stores", Promoted Listings and Sponsored Listings, none of which are geared to really help the little guy.

Ebay should seriously consider splitting the Platform and creating "eBay Light", a place for small causual sellers and buyers who want to support the little guy, rather then China and the Anchor Stores.  They did it with eBay Motors, so they obvioulsy know how.

Or. they should make their upper management Intern with small sellers for a few weeks, like they do in the TV series "Undercover Boss".  How does upper management understand, if they can only relate to the owners of "Anchor Stores"

Message 73 of 89
latest reply

I agree, I unfortunately was told, every time a buyer opens a dispute, they no longer even read the seller comments as they will accept the return in the buyers favor every time now  and force the return to the seller, regardless.  i have been selling on ebay for years and years and encountered my first issue this week w/ ebay's "new return policy" guidelines, which I did not realize in the last 2 months this policy had changed to this degree.  I have never seen anything like it and each ebay rep.. had a different story, even in the management lines.  I spoke in 2 days, w/ 5 different reps to get a different story each time.   I was so frustrated and stressed with the entire situation, that I gave a full refund and let the buyer keep the item and i'm sure I will still get a neg. feedback, but I have to reconsider ebay now that I know even if i put i don't accept returns, i am still forced to accept them.  I awake this morning still in shock

Message 74 of 89
latest reply

Yep, just be like you and grab your ankles. FIGHT THE POWER BRO!
Message 75 of 89
latest reply