cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay HAS NO seller protection!! forced returns

Ebay thinks that they are amazon or Walmart now forcing buying to take returns regardless of remorse or purchased by mistake. Very aggravated that customer who want to return something can simply choose “does not match photos or not as described “ and Ebay will force the return on sellers. This an action site I don’t know why they keep trying to be like amazon it’s a joke. There has been so much fraud on the platform with this change it just doesn’t work.  I sold a broken phone for parts or repair. The listing description clearly stated that the device was not functional and needed to be repaired for parts. The pictures even showed that the device was broken and stuck on the Apple logo. The customer devices the item and opens up a return request stating that “the description wasn’t good enough” so Ebay forced me to take the return. Ebay stated “if the buyer is not happy with the item they have every right to return it with the new policy. This is a joke. I sell damaged  phones that need to be repaired if people can just buy broken things and can’t fix they Ebay now let’s them get a refund!! What a joke, there is no seller protection but more FRAUD happening on ebays platform. They are forcing sellers to accept returns against their will. They think there a big box retailer YOUR NOT! Your an auction site that is loosing all its credibility that it work so hard for over the last decade because you are trying to follow suit of other BOG BOX RETAILERS (which your not) and it’s pushing ALL its seller away! Policy needs to back their sellers as the sellers pay the high fees to cover Ebay’s bills! Buyers abuse returns = fraud 

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Ebay HAS NO seller protection!! forced returns

ebay has never offered seller protection for not as described cases

Ebay also can only "force"you accept returns because you agreed to let them decide cases and to abide by their decision by listing here.

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 16 of 89
latest reply

Hey there,

Each phone has a serial number that you can look up on apples website for any locks including iCloud locks. Customers complain wasn’t about iCloud it was about they were unable to fix the phone so they demanded a return 😞
Message 17 of 89
latest reply

This situation seems to warrant the Bat Signal.

@Anonymous

Message 18 of 89
latest reply

@tofu107wrote:

BTW,there is no seller protection for INAD,just INR or UA.

Actually there is no ebay protection for a UA either.

Ebay encourages you to recall the package. That's it.

Ebay will make you go to paypal to deal with the UA. That is why you do not want to listen  to ebay when they tell you to recall the package. You would lose your delivery confirmation needed to protect you against an UA. Paypal will not cover you without that. Recalling the package is not a 100% effective and it costs money to do so. Ebay just conveniently fails to tell you so.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 19 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gizmosellers wrote:

Ebay thinks that they are amazon or Walmart now forcing buying to take returns regardless of remorse or purchased by mistake. Very aggravated that customer who want to return something can simply choose “does not match photos or not as described “ and Ebay will force the return on sellers. This an action site I don’t know why they keep trying to be like amazon it’s a joke. There has been so much fraud on the platform with this change it just doesn’t work.  I sold a broken phone for parts or repair. The listing description clearly stated that the device was not functional and needed to be repaired for parts. The pictures even showed that the device was broken and stuck on the Apple logo. The customer devices the item and opens up a return request stating that “the description wasn’t good enough” so Ebay forced me to take the return. Ebay stated “if the buyer is not happy with the item they have every right to return it with the new policy. This is a joke. I sell damaged  phones that need to be repaired if people can just buy broken things and can’t fix they Ebay now let’s them get a refund!! What a joke, there is no seller protection but more FRAUD happening on ebays platform. They are forcing sellers to accept returns against their will. They think there a big box retailer YOUR NOT! Your an auction site that is loosing all its credibility that it work so hard for over the last decade because you are trying to follow suit of other BOG BOX RETAILERS (which your not) and it’s pushing ALL its seller away! Policy needs to back their sellers as the sellers pay the high fees to cover Ebay’s bills! Buyers abuse returns = fraud 

Hi @gizmosellers, I'm not able to go into details here on the boards, but it looks like you were provided accurate information by Customer Service. I recommend you contact them again if you have further questions or concerns.

Message 20 of 89
latest reply

@Anonymous

Wrote:  "...it looks like you were provided accurate information by Customer Service."

Whoa!  Hold the phone.  He was told, "...if the buyer is not happy with the item they have every right to return it with the new policy."

What new policy?  Provide links, please.

The only policy I am aware of is that the Seller's obligation on eBay is precisely this:

A.  Items need to be described using the correct eBay condition, clear pictures and accurate text

B.  Items need to be delivered within the stated time frame

C.  Items must be received by Buyer in as-described condition

D.  If A, B, and C are met, and the Seller does not accept returns, the transaction is complete--NO REFUNDS.

Seller appears to have met A, B, and C, and does not accept returns, yet eBay allows a refund.

Explain.

Message 21 of 89
latest reply

I agree that Ebay sellers has very limited protection from Ebay themselves. Very upsetting indeed and just very bad luck to meet people who take advantage and scam sellers with ebay’s System. Is there any way to file complaints?

Message 22 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@flyerfandan999 wrote:

@Anonymous

Wrote:  "...it looks like you were provided accurate information by Customer Service."

Whoa!  Hold the phone.  He was told, "...if the buyer is not happy with the item they have every right to return it with the new policy."

What new policy?  Provide links, please.

The only policy I am aware of is that the Seller's obligation on eBay is precisely this:

A.  Items need to be described using the correct eBay condition, clear pictures and accurate text

B.  Items need to be delivered within the stated time frame

C.  Items must be received by Buyer in as-described condition

D.  If A, B, and C are met, and the Seller does not accept returns, the transaction is complete--NO REFUNDS.

Seller appears to have met A, B, and C, and does not accept returns, yet eBay allows a refund.

Explain.

Hi @flyerfandan999, I'm unfortunately not able to share more details on the private conversations the OP had with Customer Service, but have reviewed this information on my end and can confirm that it is accurate. There may be details that are not here on the thread that would add context to this situation. I don't have a new policy to refer you to and I can donfirm the criteria for returns you provided are accurate. 

Message 23 of 89
latest reply

Because ebay made an internal policy change that buyers have to pay for all returns now and must appeal in order to get refunded for faulty returns. They told me it was done internally and that sellers were not notified. You can only find out after a return is opened and you call them.

Message 24 of 89
latest reply

Error in previous post, buyers do not pay for return shipping, only sellers now.  We pay all return shipping now, sellers fault or buyers fault and have to appeal to ebay to get reimbursed. Policy was done internally, no notifications sent to sellers per both reps that I spoke to.

Message 25 of 89
latest reply

@usjs.llcwrote:

Error in previous post, buyers do not pay for return shipping, only sellers now.  We pay all return shipping now, sellers fault or buyers fault and have to appeal to ebay to get reimbursed. Policy was done internally, no notifications sent to sellers per both reps that I spoke to.

That's not quite correct. Sellers only pay for buyer remorse returns if they specify free returns in their listings. You are not required to offer free returns.

That was not an internal decision and was announced in the 2017 fall sellers update.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/2017-Fall-Seller-Update/ba-p/27391472

When an item is not as described, sellers DO have to pay for return shipping but that isn't new...it has been in place for quite a while.

Sellers

Message 26 of 89
latest reply

Accurate information? Every eBay representative I spoke too agree with me and said the new policy is flawed. Anyone can choose “not as described “ and get there money back. Everyone knows this, this leads to more fraud. The policy is terrible and broken. Please stick to the auction platform you built and not trying to be amazon. Sellers have no benifits or protecting selling on eBay anymore. Anyone can simply buy a product and try to fix it, if they can’t they can just open up a not as described Return and get their money back that seems like a flawed system. eBay will see a huge decline in American sellers(as they have already have according to documented data) but it’s ok because it appears eBay will be the next AliExpress and only sell cheap goods.
Message 27 of 89
latest reply

Sorry, but those abbreviations mean what?
Message 28 of 89
latest reply

OP~~One thing you should do is remove all the ebay catalog info in the listings for these non working phones.  Who cares what the specifics of a brand new phone are when these are broken non working phones?  If a buyer has a problem comprehending the English language he could easily think he's getting a brand new phone or a working phone when he sees all the catalog info.  Your parts/repair info is buried under the product catalog info and a buyer buying from their phone could easily not see the entire terms or conditions of the sale.

Take off all that product info and just state in no uncertain terms it isn't working/parts or repair/no returns.  That's all a buyer needs to see and you need to make sure they do see it.

Message 29 of 89
latest reply

Amazon doesn't make money.

Modern business models of late are 1. get a lot of old money from investers 2. create a business that delivers products at a loss 3. wait until real businesses fail 4. own a monopoly. Go to your local council meetings and start there. We need legislation to protect us from these old money gremlins.

Message 30 of 89
latest reply