cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EIS issues

If I’m being stupid, feel free to tell me so. I was under the impression we were automatically rolled into the EIS Program, having used the GSP for years. We are now receiving ten messages from international buyers a day saying they can’t purchase. But we are still selling items to other international buyers worldwide via the program. We have shipped to the new hub in Illinois as per the program. Canada, Australia and the Philippines are where the problems are so far.

Am I missing something? Am I being dense as I’ve been known to be from time to time? Was there something we were suppose to do to change the listings? Big Chris is confused. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: EIS issues

I just had my first experience with this conundrum.  I normally avoided the Global Shipping Program by specifically opting out and stating USA shipping only but with  this new EIS  it is less clear how to even do that.

In any event, a couple weeks ago I sold a pretty valuable pair of vintage loudspeakers. They weren't huge or tremendously heavy but the box was probably 36x26x18 and weighed in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 lbs.  I didn't save the exact dimensions or weight and now can't seem to retrieve it from my Fedex label invoice.

The package was shipped to an address in Illinois that I had no reason to suspect was unusual at the time. The only  reason I looked into it was because the buyer was a new member with only a single feedback of 1 and his ID clearly indicated he was not in the USA.  This made me pretty nervous but after reading up on it, though some people have been scammed, it seemed most sellers are OK with EIS and Ebay certainly didn't seem concerned.  I was tempted to cancel anyway but that would be a defect and could negatively impact my Top Rated seller status so I just carefully packed the speakers and shipped them off hoping for the best.

Then two weeks later I got two messages from Ebay, the first of which somewhat cryptically said, "Hi Xxxxx,
We've received your request to refund buyer Xxxxxx. We're processing this refund and will notify you once it's been completed. " 

My first reaction was obviously "WHAT!?"  I made no such request!

Then I saw another email that only halfway explained that "We wanted to let you know that unfortunately this item could not be shipped internationally. As a result, your order can’t be fulfilled. This could be due to import restrictions or eligibility requirements. You get to keep the sale and we’ve issued a refund to your buyer."

No reason for exactly WHY it couldn't be shipped internationally was provided.

After reading this thread, I'm assuming it's because of the size or weight, though it seems the package actually fell within the guidelines so I'm not sure.  I do know that I did not include package dimensions or weight in the listing because I offered flat rate shipping regardless of location within the USA.  I often do this because lately Ebay so dramatically overcharges buyers for shipping compared to my actual cost that it impedes sales for large heavy items, so I'll just conservatively charge my minimum cost to ship cross country.

At this point it appears the buyer  got his money back for the speakers but I get to keep what I was paid.  I will probably never know what happened to those extremely desirable speakers, which hurts because they really were special and I put a ton of time into restoring them and making them as good as they could be. 

Ebay has been a pretty steady side gig for me for going on 25 years now.  It's really a shame what's happened over the last several years because it just keeps getting more complicated and less lucrative.  Every incremental change they make seems to take away more rights and security for sellers. I don't know how much longer I'm likely to put up with this level of uncertainty.  Even in cases like this where both the buyer and I as the seller appear to have ultimately been made whole, if Ebay is eating such a big refund you just know that cost is ultimately passed on to the users one way or another.  It's all just so stupid, and could have and should have been avoided if only they'd make it more clear how to opt out of the EIS program.  How in the world did they ever allow an item into the program with flat rate shipping when they had no idea how big or heavy the package is?  Has this company been taken over by monkeys?

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@smw3 wrote:

They weren't huge or tremendously heavy but the box was probably 36x26x18 and weighed in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 lbs.  I didn't save the exact dimensions or weight and now can't seem to retrieve it from my Fedex label invoice.

No reason for exactly WHY it couldn't be shipped internationally was provided.

I do know that I did not include package dimensions or weight in the listing because I offered flat rate shipping regardless of location within the USA.

I will probably never know what happened to those extremely desirable speakers, which hurts because they really were special and I put a ton of time into restoring them and making them as good as they could be. 

How in the world did they ever allow an item into the program with flat rate shipping when they had no idea how big or heavy the package is? 

Your package could not be forwarded to the international buyer because it was well over both the size and weight limits @smw3.

• Cannot exceed 44 lbs. for every country except Canada (Canada’s max is 66 lbs.) - billable weight (not actual)
  • Cannot exceed 42 inches in Length, 79 inches in Length + Girth

A package measuring 36x26x18 / 166 = 102 lb billable (dimensional) weight and 124" length + girth.

When you do not include package weight and dimensions on the listing, rather than blocking the sale eBay uses an average size/weight based on category to determine shipping charges for the buyer. It's not required to enter dims when you offer flat rate shipping, but when you don't this is the potential outcome for oversized / overweight items.

The item will be liquidated - resold by a third party here on eBay. eBay's EIS program covered the refund to the buyer so you're not out.

You can avoid this on other sales by adding international country exclusions at the listing level or by adding weight/dims. In the future eBay plans to offer the ability to turn off EIS at the listing level.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

That just seems like a preposterous way to implement any program.  Sellers who WANT to sell internationally should be required to OPT IN to the international shipping program.  At no time did I have or express any desire to export this item.  I shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to avoid situations like this.  And as a seller for nearly 25 years, I shouldn't have to spend hours and hours reading every stupid new policy Ebay comes up with to make sure I'm not accidentally getting sucked into any of their new programs just because I'm continuing to do things exactly the way I always have.  Have a little respect for the people who generate your billions of dollars in annual revenues Ebay!

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

You can opt out of the program entirely with just a couple clicks @smw3.

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Entire PLC category blocked, along with anything calculated from what I can tell...

Message 20 of 20
latest reply