cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SALES TAX TABLE

On ebays sales tax table Do I list the State Sales Tax for my state and leave the others blank. Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: EBAY SALES TAX TABLE

Actually, everyone is right and wrong. I talked to the Colorado IRS people and they said yes, tax would be colledced in your state, and any state that you sent your package to. If that state collected sales tax. That includes, like Colorado State,city,and county. But I don't live in the states, where these comments are comming from. The best thing to do is not contact a CPA. Contact your local IRS office.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If I understand your question, then the answer is yes. If you are reporting and paying sales tax to in state sale, you will put your sales tax rate there. Be sure to include your local sales tax if applicable if your state doesn't collect it. In my state, I have to collect both the state and county sales tax. 

Cheers!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Isn't it illegal to collect your local sales tax upcharge from a buyer in another part of your state with a different upcharge for their local area?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@ar-772386 wrote:

Isn't it illegal to collect your local sales tax upcharge from a buyer in another part of your state with a different upcharge for their local area?

NO

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@juststuffisell wrote:

If I understand your question, then the answer is yes. If you are reporting and paying sales tax to in state sale, you will put your sales tax rate there. Be sure to include your local sales tax if applicable if your state doesn't collect it. In my state, I have to collect both the state and county sales tax. 

Cheers!

The above advice is perfect.  In my state there is state, county and city tax.  So make sure you know what the requirements are for the state you are in.

Next year Ebay will collect any sales taxes due for other states as their laws require.  So you only have to be concerned with the state in which you are shipping from.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Actually, everyone is right and wrong. I talked to the Colorado IRS people and they said yes, tax would be colledced in your state, and any state that you sent your package to. If that state collected sales tax. That includes, like Colorado State,city,and county. But I don't live in the states, where these comments are comming from. The best thing to do is not contact a CPA. Contact your local IRS office.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@flight74722 wrote:

Well yes and no.  What I've previously said is accurate.  And it is possible that in your state [I don't know their rules] that because of your size as a business you are not required to collect sales tax.  That can happen. 

But when it goes to the level of a facilitator [Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, etc] collecting sales tax, it may very well be owed.  The facilitator exceeds the $$ rule for sales into any given state.  So it becomes based on everybodys sales from any given facilitators site, not your specific business sales threshold.

It is best to watch the Ebay announcements.  They have been saying what states they will start collecting taxes for come January.  There will be changes along the way as other states add / create new laws to govern this.  So make sure you read the emails you get from Ebay to stay on top of things.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply