cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does USPS EVER find missing packages?

I initiated lost package search with USPS as the package i mailed priority mail didn't reach the buyer within 2 weeks. Its missing. In fact the only time tracking ever updated was the day I was at the post office where it was accepted.  Ive called the post office and they said the Covid19 delays ate slowing things down, but 3 other packages I mailed that week were delivered with no delays. Im wondering maybe the barcode scan they attach to the box came off. I don't know why they lost it.

Does the lost mail search EVER find packages? Based what Ive been reading online it seems next to never. Anyone here ever mail a package priority mail, have it seemingly vanish- then initiate a lost mail search and have the package successfully found?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

During COVID I've had 2 items that seemingly stopped moving and in my mind were lost.

Calling 800 USPS results in 'wait time to talk to a postal service representative is currently 129 minutes' do you want to receive a call back?'  Yes.  They never call back.  Don't waste your time.

Go to USPS website.  Top menu banner far right side hover over 'Help'.

In the drop down menu select "Find Missing Mail"

If the system lets you, select option 3 to initiate a lost mail search.  They may require you to use option 2 first; Help Request.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but on both my 'lost' packages they started moving again within a day or two after opening an online mail search request.  The destination post office also sent an email to me to confirm that they were sending an inquiry back to the last reported facility in the tracking history.  In 20 years of using USPS they have never lost one of my shipments.  I probably just jinxed myself.

USPS tries to give you the impression that it is moving.  If there is no reported tracking for 24 hours a computer generated 'in transit' message appears.  When the package hasn't been delivered by the expected date another computer generated message 'your package will arrive later than expected but it is still moving  through the system' appears.  The post office doesn't know a package is lost or not moving unless you tell them.

USPS won't open an insurance claim for lost priority mail until 15 days have passed.  You can and should open a search request after 5 days have passed on priority mail.  If you can ask them to look for it after 5 days, why wait 15 days for it to get good and lost?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Had a recent purchase shipped via First Class Package go missing for over a month but was finally received. 

The seller shipped a replacement and I shipped the  "lost" one back.  Life is Good

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Have the PO do a tracer on the package: it may shake it out.

Has the purchaser filed a case yet??

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The buyer is actually a freind I know so there's no issue there. He's certain it will show but just in case I refunded him the money.  If it shows he'll bounce it back 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I would file an Insurance claim especially if the package was Priority.  That usually speeds up the process of finding missing mail or they will refund you.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

During COVID I've had 2 items that seemingly stopped moving and in my mind were lost.

Calling 800 USPS results in 'wait time to talk to a postal service representative is currently 129 minutes' do you want to receive a call back?'  Yes.  They never call back.  Don't waste your time.

Go to USPS website.  Top menu banner far right side hover over 'Help'.

In the drop down menu select "Find Missing Mail"

If the system lets you, select option 3 to initiate a lost mail search.  They may require you to use option 2 first; Help Request.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but on both my 'lost' packages they started moving again within a day or two after opening an online mail search request.  The destination post office also sent an email to me to confirm that they were sending an inquiry back to the last reported facility in the tracking history.  In 20 years of using USPS they have never lost one of my shipments.  I probably just jinxed myself.

USPS tries to give you the impression that it is moving.  If there is no reported tracking for 24 hours a computer generated 'in transit' message appears.  When the package hasn't been delivered by the expected date another computer generated message 'your package will arrive later than expected but it is still moving  through the system' appears.  The post office doesn't know a package is lost or not moving unless you tell them.

USPS won't open an insurance claim for lost priority mail until 15 days have passed.  You can and should open a search request after 5 days have passed on priority mail.  If you can ask them to look for it after 5 days, why wait 15 days for it to get good and lost?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Over my time buying on ebay, I have had three packages shipped in the US go missing.  One was ATV tires.  None were ever found.  Got lucky selling I guess, never had one of those get lost.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@titanictarn wrote:

Does the lost mail search EVER find packages? Based what Ive been reading online it seems next to never. Anyone here ever mail a package priority mail, have it seemingly vanish- then initiate a lost mail search and have the package successfully found?

Actually yes they do. I once shipped a package via parcel select. Package was never delivered and considered lost. I refunded and didn't think about it again. Approx. three months later the package came back to my home. It had been knocked behind some other larger packages and not seen again until someone decided to do some cleaning and found it. Because three months had passed from initial acceptance scan, USPS shipped it back to me rather then sending it to original address. I ended up getting my item back and resold it. 

So the answer is yes, sometimes lost packages can eventually show up.... 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I'm 4 for 6 in the last year.

I was compensated for the two they never found...took several months and appeals but they eventually coughed up the money.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@titanictarn wrote:

The buyer is actually a friend I know so there's no issue there. He's certain it will show but just in case I refunded him the money.  If it shows he'll bounce it back 

This is good to read.  it makes thing easer for you.

I would advise filling for the insurance (if you shipped in that method) as soon as you can: that may shake it out.

If it does not, then you can get your money on the item.

You will need a copy of the sale so the price of the item can be proven.. A copy from the payment method is also advisable.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

awaaviatrix
Adventurer

Going through the same thing now on an $1800 insured package.  Was accepted, sent to local distribution center and scanned departed on 11/20 and nothing since. A 2nd non-insured box shipped to buyer the same days was delivered.  I have been in contact with buyer and we are waiting until the end of next week for something to happen but if not I'll have to refund $1800 and start trying to get USPS to pay the claim.   I initiated a missing package search, received a call from a USPS employee in the buyers city, who was zero help. Said a package is not lost until 30 days and closed the missing box request. Going to my local post office in the morning to see if they can do something and reopen a search. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I actually posted about this but we shipped a box in July and the buyers received it in late Oct.   The shipment was from Minnesota to Alabama 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Nope I have filed cases and never get responses. A waste of time.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes. I agree that filing a lost package complaint shakes it loose.  I've that happen in 3 separate circumstances in the last couple of years.  The item just drops off the radar/tracking... but after I filed the lost mail report, it starts moving again.  Strange but true.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

usps says item was delivered but it was not received. not first time this has happened, obviously, but what is the way out of this? USPS denies the claim, saying it was delivered, and eBay denies the item not received, saying USPS says it was delivered. I also even filed a charge back on the credit card, but it is an eBay MasterCard and they have denied a similar claim in the past, again pointing to the tracking information. So basically anytime USPS scans an item delivered and loses it, misplaces it, there is nothing I can do? 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply