cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do ebay staff ever personally intervene in case of a dispute? (Seller told me to chose..)

Seller told me to chose "Just didn't like it" (said that it would cause delays in processing the refund if I chose a different reason) even though he sold me a sold/used/refurbished looking phone with scratches for $400, which he had it listed as "New". 

I chose "just didn't like it" and in the reason I wrote that "I wanted to purchase a new phone without cosmetic defects". 

Now, after I've shipped the phone back (and its in transit), the seller sent me a message stating that if the phone OS is not reset, or that if it's not packaged properly and damaged that it may cause delays and penalties in the refund. 

I didn't reset the phone since I hadn't put anything on the phone in the first place and he could do that himself (it only takes a push of a button or two to navigate to settings and to reset. Also, he sent me that message after I had already shipped it back). In any case, if this seller tries to pull something, like penalizes for not resetting or something, will ebay staff personally intervene and read our messages to see that the seller is not being reasonable? That he is at fault for describing a used and repaired phone (I even sent the seller images of the scratch and scuff marks) as new? 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Do ebay staff ever personally intervene in case of a dispute? (Seller told me to chose..)

You are at fault for using didn't like it for the reason for the return. The seller has led you to file a buyer's remorse return where the buyer is responsible for return shipping and they can deduct the original shipping from the return. If not the original shipping they can deduct up to 50% from the refund if it's not returned in the original condition.

Had you used not as described the seller is responsible for return shipping and they can't deduct anything from your refund.  So I'm sure you'll be screwed by the seller because they set you up by telling you this is the quickest way to get a refund.  And eBay won't  step in and help since it's not a money back guarantee claim.  (eBay guarantees all your money back when it's not as described.)

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Item not as described is what you should have chose.

They are of coarse scamming you to recover some of the money.

Pay attention to the case you opened and make sure it does not run out of time.

When it shows as delivered then push the case.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

"In any case, if this seller tries to pull something..."

The seller has already pulled something. The seller talked you into an improper return. Sorry this happened to you... I wish buyers were aware of the Money Back Guarantee and how it works. It's explained in the Help pages.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Is there anything I can do now? 

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

But can't the ebay staff read messages and the pictures that I sent, and can't they see that it's the seller that is at fault? I mean, it can't be a completely automated system. Right? 

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

The seller has sold hundreds of items. You still think he wants to scam me? 

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@oceans2323 wrote:

But can't the ebay staff read messages and the pictures that I sent, and can't they see that it's the seller that is at fault? I mean, it can't be a completely automated system. Right? 

Supposedly it can be done, but the truth is who know, Not any eBay average employee that for sure.

You do have other options such as payment method for item not as described also.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Like paypal? Or I can contact my credit card company to hold the payment? 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@oceans2323 wrote:

The seller has sold hundreds of items. You still think he wants to scam me? 

He already did by getting you to file the wrong thing.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Also, I'm reading that ebay removed "restocking fees". Is that true? If so, that means the seller can't deduct anything other than the shipping charge, right? 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@oceans2323 wrote:

Like paypal? Or I can contact my credit card company to hold the payment? 

Wait until done with eBay then go to paypal or your credit card..

Never open a case in multiple locations.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

I thought he didn't want me to chose "item not as described" because that would hurt his account or something. 

If he was going to scam me, couldn't he still just say that I sent the item back in a poor condition and hold like 50% of my refund, even if I chose "Item not as described"? 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

"I thought he didn't want me to chose "item not as described" because that would hurt his account or something"

Exactly why they got you to file the way they did.  It would have hurt them:

Now they want to cost you money, to hurt YOU.

Scamer is what the seller is.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Well, I guess I can only hope for the best at this point. If he doesn't refund the full money I paid (most of it anyway, I don't care about the $6 in shipping) then I will have to call into ebay customer service. If that doesn't work, then I'll contact paypal and then finally my credit card company.

I'll keep this thread updated. Shouldn't take that long though, the seller is based nearby so he will have his phone back in two or three days at most. 

Message 15 of 30
latest reply