cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to measure every box for shipping?

When I list an item, I weigh it without a box but estimate my cost for shipping.  My listed items are all shelved without a box.  Sometimes I'm not positive at the listing time what box I will use.  I do not use calculated shipping but use same cost for all buyers.  With the new rules, do I need to box every item ahead of listing so I can enter all the dimensions for accurate shipping costs?  Even my small little lightweight items?   Do I need to go back and box up all my shelved items and enter in the dimensions?  

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Why would you estimate the cost of shipping?

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

If you are trying to get accurate shipping costs ahead of listing, then you will need to box up your items and weigh and measure the boxes.

Box measurements come into play when printing the shipping label.

No box measurements are needed for First Class items.

Package and box measurements are needed for Priority Mail or Regional Box shipping.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

If I weigh an item and know it is light enough for first class, I have a good idea of the cost.  If I weigh an item alone and it weighs 15 oz, then I know when boxed it'll be a priority mail.  It is weighs 1 lb. 13 oz, then I know it'll go over the 2 pound mark when boxed, etc. so I determine my shipping from that.   If I have to enter dimensions on even my little die-cast cars along with my glassware that is heavier, I don't have the room to even store all those boxed items till they sell.  I have about 150 items listed right now and dread that I need to quickly box up all those items and re-evaluate the shipping charges. 

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

You should be weighing the item inside the box with all your packing materials, that way you don't get nailed with additional postage
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I thought I read though that our prior "first class" is no longer the case depending on the size of the box.  I haven't shipped out anything since yesterday and I'm dreading the thought!

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@dianne1923 wrote:

When I list an item, I weigh it without a box but estimate my cost for shipping.  My listed items are all shelved without a box.  Sometimes I'm not positive at the listing time what box I will use.  I do not use calculated shipping but use same cost for all buyers.  With the new rules, do I need to box every item ahead of listing so I can enter all the dimensions for accurate shipping costs?  Even my small little lightweight items?   Do I need to go back and box up all my shelved items and enter in the dimensions?  

You don't need to seal up the item ahead of time, but you do at least need to know which box you're going to use, so that you can get a fairly accurate weight (adding the padding and packaging would be great), and you will know your exact dimensions. That will make Calculated Shipping a whole lot more useful to you, and you can avoid sticking prospective buyers with the same shipping cost regardless of whether they're in the next town down the road or on the opposite side of the country. It will also boost the product appeal by showing a lower Shipping cost to those who are closer to your location.

In other words, you can't lose money by being better prepared with accurate Shipping details. You can only save money, and it might be a lot.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

I wouldn't advise it, but I guess a lot.

Often, I have measured my item when it's listed & I just add a few inches, depending on how much packaging would be.

Pre packaging & then measuring doesn't work.

inevitably, we end up needing that box for a new acquisition & sale.

After awhile, it gets easier to make an educated guess.

We sell mostly small items these days.

If it's a larger item, and shippping costs vary a lot, then don't make a mistake, measure and weigh.

Shipping is one of the hardest things to learn selling on ebay.

And its all about to change again!

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

no

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

This is what I do. It will just have to be more accurate now. Right now, I don't worry too much about the dimensions unless it's fairly large. If in doubt, err on the side of large. Many of my items ship first class so I don't have to worry about that too much.
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

There is no need to alter your current methods for setting shipping costs, whether flat or calculated.  If you set a flat rate for shipping, there isn't even a place where you CAN enter the package dimensions.   On Sunday when the rates change there will be no new policies related to package size, except for the elimination of the "Balloon rate" for packages with a length-plus-girth over 84 inches.

Currently USPS charges a "dimensional weight" for packages that are over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) for packages that are being sent via Priority Mail to Zones 5 - 9.  Starting in June, the dimensional weight will be applied to all packages that are being sent via Priority Mail, Parcel Select Ground, and Retail Ground.  Still ,the threshold will be 1 cubic foot so if your package is smaller than that, the exact size doesn't matter.

The size limit for First Class packages is not going to change: 22 inches in length,  18 inches in width, and 15 inches in thickness

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@dianne1923 wrote:

I thought I read though that our prior "first class" is no longer the case depending on the size of the box. ..

The allowable dimensions for First Class packages aren't changing.

What IS changing is that the prices for First Class packages will now depend on distance (Zone) just as Priority Mail does right now.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Unless your package is going to be over 1 cu foot for Priority Mail, the dimensions won't matter much when you list.  I've listed thinking I would use a 7x7x7 but used an 8x8x8.  The price doesn't change with USPS.  A less than 1 cu foot, 1 to 2 lb package will be charged the up to 2 lb rate.

It's easy to get comfortable with the shipping calculator.  Enter the weight when packed (since you already have an idea) and let the buyer be charged by the location.  Charging a flat rate and accounting for the furthest destination means some of your neighbors are way overpaying (or simply not buying) and if you're not accounting for the furthest point, you undercharge others.

3 lbs can range from $7.90 to $17.30 Priority retail/ $7.20 to $15.34 commercial

Unless I'm doing a multi-quantity listing and need the cumulative weight to determine accurate shipping for more than 1 item, I list in whole pounds.  That 1 lb 5 oz package that might weigh 1 lb 9 oz if I don't use the box I thought I was going to isn't going to matter since I put in 2 lbs as the weight

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

The only time you would need to measure a box is if any one side is over 12 inches long.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

You've all had some great input.  If I switch to calculated shipping for heavier priority mail boxes, that doesn't allow me to meet the needs for the cost of my box (if it is my own) and packing materials.  If I had a dollar or more for the handling charge, then I think that would turn off a lot of potential buyers as they may not understand the actual cost of shipping by the seller versus just the cost of postage for shipping.  Is there another way to cover this other than raising the price of my item?

Message 15 of 32
latest reply