cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to pay to return a fraudulent copy of a movie?

I purchased a DVD, which was described NIB.

The DVD was homemade, and was obviously recorded from a VCR in the 80s, including some commercial snippets where they didn't get to the pause button in time.

I asked the seller for a refund, but he wants it back and didn't provide return shipping.

Am I really supposed to be out of pocket for the padded envelope and shipping fees, because I received something not as described AND illegal?

I put in a dispute with Paypal, but they are clearly staying out of it. They didn't read my notes at all, so no specific response on the illegality of the product, just that I should return it.

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Had you filed with eBay, the seller would have been required to pay return post it. However you filed was PayPal so you are expected to pay out of pocket for the postage.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks.

The illegal nature of the video is irrelevant? Can I submit to Ebay instead, now?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@kmkub wrote:

Can I submit to Ebay instead, now?

Unfortunately, no. You threw eBay under the bus when you you went first to PayPal.

Unlike PayPal, where you always pay for return shipping*, eBay would have forced the seller to pay for return shipping, or just refund outright no return needed, but you can't go back to eBay now.

*see PayPal Returns on Us

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Bummer. I wish I had known that. 

Oh well, I guess my bad review is all I can do, and he gets to keep selling illegal merchandise, including the one I will be returning.

Sad.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Here's a link to eBay's buyer protection policy, which they call the "Money Back Guarantee." Reading it might spare you more unhappy surprises in future transactions.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks, everyone. It appears there is some traction on this. Seller asked Ebay to step in and they have. I am not able to give feedback to this seller - here's what I have, instead.

Hang on, we're still reviewing your case

Message 7 of 7
latest reply