cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing Delivery

A recent purchased sweater arrived crammed into a USPS Priority Mail envelope with the top flap open almost halfway as displayed in the picture.  Except for the tape added across the middle by the folks at the Post Office, the package would have been open further; the seller admitted that the tape was not his and he commented that he would consider using tape in the future.  As displayed in the picture, the open section of the mailer was not torn, just never sealed.

What made this delivery (and the purchase) even more disappointing is that, upon opening the package the rest of way, I discovered the presence of an open ziplock bag.  Due to how the sweater was “folded”, the ziplock bag could not be sealed to contain the sweater.  The seller had not even considered putting the sweater into the mailer with the open ziplock bag at the bottom of the mailer:  there was no protection for the sweater.

The thing that prompts me to share this is that a couple days after this purchase, I had purchased another sweater of the same type, but a different color, from another seller.  This sweater was also shipped in the same type of mailer, but this second seller sealed the mailer and used tape to ensure that the flap would not open.  This second package was received securely sealed and the sweater was well-protected, in contrast to the first sweater being delivered open and dirty.  

Although I planned to wash both sweaters (of course), I was disappointed by the lack of care used by the first seller and very pleased by the care used by the second seller.  The first seller was indifferent to the package being open and his comments made me feel as if he did not care how the sweater was delivered since it was no longer his “problem”.

Taking the few minutes to seal a package to protect the buyer’s purchase makes a big difference:  that is one of the things that a good seller does.

746C1209-4703-4D84-A775-A8F4B77432BB.jpeg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Disappointing Delivery

Sorry this happened to you.  Unfortunately not all sellers are conscientious and considerate with packaging.

Wishing you all the best!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

One received a very fragile plastic airplane model thrown in a box to big for it, with out any thing to keep it stationary in the box (no packing what so ever): and it made it in one piece with no damage. USPS on top of that.. miracle in my opinion...

Folks do not understand packing for shipping. Part of the problems with online purchasing.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

I once had a seller ship a $300.000 WW2 fighting knife in a legal envelope with no padding....

Miraculously, it arrived undamaged.   I've paid minimal shipping charges and had items packed so well they could have been air dropped from 500 feet with no harm, as well as paying very high charges with horrible packing, as if the item was going to the Goodwill drop off box.  You just sincerely hope these sellers learn to do better. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

A little tape or even using a slightly bigger poly mailer would have made the presentation better. However, the seller probably put minimal effort in packing the item for you & used only free packaging. 

Don't worry, not all sellers are like that. Plus, there are also some big box stores who pack in similar ways. 

Hang in there!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

@smabrouk 

Ah yeah, that seller was a 12 year old clown. I once bought a " lot" of knives and they were thrown into the box with dirt and leaves and poking thru the box. I still have the scar between my thumb and forefinger to prove it.

Blood everywhere, fortunately I had my tetanus shot!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

If only every seller had both the knowledge and the interest in packing something well enough to avoid situations like that.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

I have had the peel and stick flaps fail often.  Some did not hold as long as it took to find the start of a tape roll. I always back them up with tape.  Also, envelopes don't offer much protection. A SNAD  waiting to happen.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

The closures on all of the Priority envelopes are unreliable, especially on the ends of the flaps, and really require tape to reinforce them, especially when they are well stuffed.

Some shippers don't realize the padded envelope requires tape over the flap to make the envelope "waterproof" (or, at least "water resistant"). There is a gap at the top and bottom of the folds without tape over it.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

I've packed priority padded FREs that full - it's sometimes the only way I can offer reasonable shipping to my buyers from my area code, but I usually add some tape as a backup.  What this seller did wrong was being sloppy and not reinforcing the envelope - they need to do better with that.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

Seller is fortunate this item was not damaged. It looks to be a knitted sweater, so easily could have caught on something and started to unravel, people just don't think.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

And yet I see no negative FB left for this seller for some reason.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

@soh.maryl wrote:

And yet I see no negative FB left for this seller for some reason.  

I have been debating negative feedback as the seller was indifferent to his having shipped the sweater in this manner.  It was as if he had decided that anything goes now that he had sold the sweater.  

I had to message him about the dirt all over the sweater in the opening twice.  Waiting for the reply, which initially did not arrive, coupled with the attitude that this was not his problem prompted me to inform him that, at the very least, he should reimburse for the shipping.  In the end, he did reimburse for the shipping and this is the reason that I have not submitted negative feedback.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Disappointing Delivery

@downunder-61 wrote:

Seller is fortunate this item was not damaged. It looks to be a knitted sweater, so easily could have caught on something and started to unravel, people just don't think.

The seller did not seem to see this possibility as something that would be his problem.  I was glad that the sweater had not been ruined and I credit the wise postal worker who had added the tape across the top.  Too bad this same postal worker had not seen fit to seal the package the rest of the way.  Of course, that is not the responsibility of the postal worker but rather the responsibility of this unconcerned seller.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply