cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damage item returned in damaged box

What happens if a damaged item returned arrives back to the seller with more damage?  I had a computer damaged in shipping due to the incorrect box being used. The very box the UPS store told me I needed. Anyway UPS said the box was crushed. I can understand that if the box was in perfect shape shipping it back in the same box. However if the original box was compromised are they supposed to re ship in the damaged box potentially causing more damage?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Damage item returned in damaged box

I'm really confused with UPS.  They said that the box I used wasn't adequate, but when I inspected the bottom of the box it says 65 Gross Weight Limit.  My Tower weights right at 41.8 lbs The box and all the packing material maybe 8-9 LBS?  They denied the claim on the basis of the wrong box.  The same box that was sold to me by the UPS store when I told them the weight of the item. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Damage item returned in damaged box

First off, it isn't the boxes fault. Crushing like that occurs when there are voids left within the box.  With that tower, you needed AT LEAST 2 inches of solid styrofoam blocks on all sides totally filling up all space within the box. Something that heavy and sensitive (there is a vast difference what is needed for 40# of electronics and 40# of books), I would then double box that with another couple inches of padding between the inner and outer box.

While I would have probably put your original box inside another with padding, it would be more so the sharp edges of the tower was loose wouldn't damage some other item or cut a postal worker.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply