cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHL Priority Shipping time from Germany to US since Covid

I have purchased many times in the past from Germany, and packages have arrived anywhere from 7-28 days.  For the first time since Covid hit, I made a purchase in November 2020, and the seller shipped on November 26, 2020.  There have been no updates on the tracking number since December 1, 2020 (in Germany).  The seller and I have both been contacting our carriers, he in Germany with DHL, and me here with USPS.  I am wondering if anyone out there has purchased from Germany (or I guess anywhere in Europe) since Covid hit, and if so, how long did the package take to arrive?  I am just trying to get a feel for this, since the seller is willing to refund me, but I am thinking I will eventually get the package, then will have to re-pay him.  I would appreciate anyone's experience with this.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: DHL Priority Shipping time from Germany to US since Covid

International packages have been double or triple the delivery time just like in the US. I would think at least 60 days for packages during that awful Thanksgiving weekend starting point for USPS covidmas. It continued for weeks and is still being cleared up in many states. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I bought items from a seller in Germany in October.  I only received them the first week in January, and the tracking didn't work once the item left Germany.  If I didn't have a business relationship with the seller, I would have been very upset.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

So, I am guessing by the two responses that there is an approximate 2-3 month shipping wait.  Yes, the tracking has not updated since 12/1 (in Germany).  Usually the next stop would be NY (customs), which then it could be 1-2 weeks after that I would normally receive.  airsheep, you are saying no additional tracking info, and your package just showed up one day?  I have also seen where there are two tracking numbers.  One in Germany, then the second one in the US.  I've only seen that once or twice and I have never figured out why it was that way.  I hate not being able to track the package, but I do know it was shipped, so I guess I need to be patient.  I will update if/when I ever get it, so it may be helpful information for someone else.  Thanks for responses.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

You are not alone, if that helps at all. I had a package sent from Germany on Dec. 15 and it was scanned as having left the export processing center on December 18 ... then nothing ... but yesterday (Jan 26) a new scan showed it as "arrived in destination country" but the scan location was still in Germany and the US Postal Service tracking indicates that while a label was created back on Dec 15 that no further status updates had been received. Pretty appalling service. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

May I ask if you received your package?  I have been waiting on one package that supposedly left Germany December 3rd.  I have two other packages that I am waiting on that were sent later (December 24th, January 4th). What is interesting is that  one package sent on January 22nd arrived January 27th and tracking worked from start to finish.  DHL is stating that packages are being sent by Boat but there is no way this package came by air.  My packages are light in weight because they contain felt hats.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Here is a translation of a message from DHL regarding package shipments to the USA. 

"Current notice
Parcels and parcels without the Premium service to the USA will be sent by sea until further notice due to the Corona. This can lead to terms of more than 30 days. Franking is only possible online. The package with the Premium service is still available for faster shipping to the USA."

I had a Package sent as Premium that left Germany December 24th and still hasn't arrived so probably not sent by air.  No update on tracking after package supposedly left Germany.  As I stated above I had a recent package sent 15,89 Euro 2Kg + 4,00 Euro tracking that arrived in 5 days so came by air and not boat!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

You are VERY lucky if you have received anything at all!  No, I still have not received anything.  The last tracking scan (on both DHL and USPS) was that it was preparing to leave Germany on 12/1/20.  I too paid 15,89 and 4,00 for mine (it says "Registered Mail" on USPS).  I have corresponded with several people who have not received their parcels that were shipped even weeks before mine was.   Perhaps the ones shipped later (in January) are now going by air, but the ones that were shipped in November and December (and maybe before?) were by boat.  Who knows!  So are you waiting for 3 packages then?  I'd like to keep up with you and know if/when you receive the packages from earlier (I think you said 12/3, 12/24, and 1/4).  If you want you can send me a private message.  Thanks!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Hello Janice,

Thank you for the reply.

I receive many packages from Germany because I am a collector of vintage German and Austrian Dress Hats.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/

I am currently waiting on four packages.

Left Germany December 3rd

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=CY286039298DE%2C...

Left Germany December 24th (This one was sent Premium but wasn't sent by Air)

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=CY540428825DE%2C...

Left Germany January 4th.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=RM430413253DE%2C...

Left Germany January 27th

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=RM430561963DE%2C...

Left Germany January 22nd, Arrived January 27th! (Not sent Premium but sent by Air!)

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=RM430558774DE%2C...

It's really hard to know where the problem is. It could be on both sides (DHL Germany & German Customs / US Customs / USPS). Unfortunately there is no way to know except for possibly my one Premium shipment.

Best,

Steve

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Success! The Premium shipment from Berlin arrived today. This one (supposedly) left Germany December 24th and arrived February 3rd in Laurel, MD. No tracking info between leaving Germany and arriving in Laurel, MD.  

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=CY540428825DE,&t...

Now 3 more to go!

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

No change in status since 02/03/21. 

I am not sure if this package will ever make it.  Supposedly left Germany December 3rd 2020.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&text28777=&tLabels=CY286039298DE%2C...

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

My parcel appeared to leave the holding warehouse on 2Feb and arrived today (12 Feb) in good order. Hopefully, all of yours will also arrive before much longer as the COVID/holiday logjam 'clears.'

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Wow-I can't believe a month has gone by since I originally posted the message here about my late shipment.  Anyway, my package arrived today!  It took from November 26th, 2020 until today, February 13th, 2021.  I think this is about 79 days!  There were no scans from Dec 1, 2020 (leaving Germany) until yesterday, when the package arrived at a hub in Atlanta, about 2.5 hours from me.  I hope someone else can find this information helpful, and that everyone out there gets their packages soon!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

The package that left Germany December 3rd finally made it to America but still hasn't arrived at my house in Maryland.

February 15, 2021, 10:02 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on February 15, 2021 at 10:02 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

December 3, 2020, 5:09 pm
Processed Through Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Success!  My package that (supposedly) left Germany on December 3rd arrived today.  USPS left it at my front door in the freezing rain and sleet without a knock. 😀  Luckily the box is on the larger side and heavy cardboard.

TODAY
 10:22 am
Delivered, Left with Individual
LAUREL,MD 20723

Feb 18

6:23 am
Out for Delivery
LAUREL,MD 20723

Feb 18

6:12 am
Arrived at Post Office
LAUREL,MD 20707