cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious how many sellers pass along the shipping discounts to buyers???

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been giving discount to my buyers, but I'm seriously rethinking that option.

Do you, or don't you?

Pass along the shipping discounts to buyers?

or

Pocket those savings to help alleviate some of the expenses with selling on ebay?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Curious how many sellers pass along the shipping discounts to buyers???

" Parcel select shows a little less even on packages under 1 CF."

A whopping 5 cents difference!

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

-The opt-in (under Shipping, in Site preferences) affects the shipping cost that is shown in your listings.   It has no effect on what you are actually charged when you purchase a postage label.  All eBay shipping labels (except Media Mail) automatically charge the discounted online rate.  

WHAT????

I'm charged what the shipping costs were, that showed on the listing to the area item is going. My labels cost ME what the BUYER PAID ME to have the item shipped. Always been that way.

If all eBay shipping labels (except Media Mail) automatically charge the discounted online rate, what are we opting into by saying "yes"?

So obviously i'm just not understanding what you are trying to say!?!?!?!?!? Please explain more as now i'm completely lost!

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@riverredhat57 wrote:
 ...  If all eBay shipping labels (except Media Mail) automatically charge the discounted online rate, what are we opting into by saying "yes"?...

You're opting to show the online rate (rather than the retail rate) in your listings.  That's why your buyers are charged the same amount as what yo pay for your labels.  

Many sellers leave the in-listing shipping calculator set to the default which is to show the retail price.  That's what the OP is asking: "Do you, or don't you?

Pass along the shipping discounts to buyers?"

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Thats what the op's question was...if you were passing on those savings or not. So I was right.
Message 34 of 39
latest reply

I give the shipping discount to eBay, as eBay charges me on the actual expense of shipping and thus there is no discount for me, only more money in eBay's pocket.  So in fact, there is NO DISCOUNT TO GIVE TO BUYERS!  EBay has "Pac-Man" syndrome........

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

In general I keep the discount but on my big account the postage is a very mixed bag.  Once I've determined the going price for something I decide how I'll price shipping.  On rare occasions (usually very competitively priced items) I have to decide what I want to get overall where postage may be extremely low so I sometimes lose a little there but make it back in the item's price-a numbers game if you will.  I gladly combine shipping on large purchases and pass along the savings yet I make sure there's a little padding for supplies and my time.  There are rare times too that a buyer may be willing to buy me out on something I'm glad to unload so I'll purposely give them all the discount...maybe even beyond just so I can hit a nice price point in our negotiations-kind of a win-win for both of us.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

Nope. And don't intend to start. 

Its called a benefit. 

RRR
Message 37 of 39
latest reply

It's not about opting into anything.  It is about opting OUT if you do not set that to yes. 

If you choose yes, your buyer pays what you do.  If you choose no, you get the discount when you buy labels and the buyer pays the regular retail rates, which are more.  The OP is asking whether or not sellers in fact do check yes to share the discount.  Most do not, because it can help cover the cost of the final value fees on shipping.  If the buyer pays what you do, you are automatically losing money on every label after fees. 

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

It's not about opting into anything.  It is about opting OUT if you do not set that to yes.

Exactly.  

The default is NOT to pass along the savings.   A seller would intentionally need to change their settings to pass the saving along to the buyer. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 11.20.49 PM.png

Message 39 of 39
latest reply