cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious how many sellers pass along the shipping discounts to buyers???

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been giving discount to my buyers, but I'm seriously rethinking that option.

Do you, or don't you?

Pass along the shipping discounts to buyers?

or

Pocket those savings to help alleviate some of the expenses with selling on ebay?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

I don't know why anyone would.

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

I always pass along the shipping discount to the buyer.

eBay, PayPal fees, as well as packaging costs should already be calculated into your asking price for the items that you're selling so as to know what your profit margin is/should be.

All businesses base their product price on the cost of producing and/or retailing. 

e.g. it costs $X to produce or retail sell this product. Therefore, in order to make a profit I need to sell the product at $X in order to make a profit.

My items are priced competitively, others may sell for less or more. But I'm not here to break even or sell at a loss. Buy it if you like it, otherwise shop around. That's how retail works, whether it be online or at a brick & mortar store

FYI, professionally packaged items that are timely shipped as well as received in much better condition than what the buyer expects goes a very long way.

I'm not just a seller, but also a buyer. There are some sellers that I've never bought from a 2nd time due to "extremely" poor packaging. I don't want to receive what's suppose to be a brand new item wrapped in newspaper, in an old cereal box that's been wrapped in brown shipping paper!!!

IMHO Anyway

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

When I see a seller with Parcel Select for shipping small packages under 18 pounds, I kind of laugh because it shows that they don't know what they are doing.

I offer Parcel select and I know exactly what I'm doing.
Most people like to have the choice to choose. May last package went out Parcel select and cost the buyer $29. Priority was $49....

So yes, Buyers do appreciate sellers who give them a choice.
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

When I see a seller with Parcel Select for shipping small packages under 18 pounds, I kind of laugh because it shows that they don't know what they are doing.

Most people like to have the choice to choose. May last package went out Parcel select and cost the buyer $29. Priority was $49....

That apparently wasn't a "small package under 18 pounds." That huge price discrepancy could only be caused by the dreaded "dimensional weight" for packages over 1 cubic foot.

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

I'm with you on that!  10% shipping cost fee--PayPal fee--printer ink and paper to print label--mailing tape--Scotch tape--tissue paper to nicely wrap item in--gas to and from Post Office--gas to and from shopping runs.

Just print your labels WITHOUT the shipping price.  

I clearly state in my auctions that because of the above expenses I do charge extra.

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

That apparently wasn't a "small package under 18 pounds." That huge price discrepancy could only be caused by the dreaded "dimensional weight" for packages over 1 cubic foot.

It was 12 pounds and although not considered a large box by USPS standards, it was over 1 cubic foot. 

I feel that we should let the buyer decide what is approprate for their needs.

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

@nanakat75 wrote:

I'm with you on that!  10% shipping cost fee--PayPal fee--printer ink and paper to print label--mailing tape--Scotch tape--tissue paper to nicely wrap item in--gas to and from Post Office--gas to and from shopping runs.

Just print your labels WITHOUT the shipping price.  

I clearly state in my auctions that because of the above expenses I do charge extra.

The sheet of paper to print the label on...lol...

...you forgot the electricity your printer used in printing said label.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

I don't.  That extra (usually 50 cents or less) serves as my handling fee.

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

It was 12 pounds and although not considered a large box by USPS standards, it was over 1 cubic foot. ...

A package that's over 1 cubic foot IS "large" if you're shipping via Priority Mail to Zones 5 - 9.  It incurs a "dimensional weight" which is based on package volume.  

That's why it makes sense to offer both Parcel Select (or Retail Ground) plus Priority as choices when you have a package over 1 cubic foot -- so that buyers in Zones 5 - 9 will have a choice between fast vs cheap. That's why sam mentioned "small"  packages specifically.  If your package was a cubic foot or less, then there would have been no cost difference between Priority vs Parcel Select, and no reason to offer a choice.

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

It was 12 pounds and although not considered a large box by USPS standards, it was over 1 cubic foot. ...

A package that's over 1 cubic foot IS "large" if you're shipping via Priority Mail to Zones 5 - 9.  It incurs a "dimensional weight" which is based on package volume.  

That's why it makes sense to offer both Parcel Select (or Retail Ground) plus Priority as choices when you have a package over 1 cubic foot -- so that buyers in Zones 5 - 9 will have a choice between fast vs cheap. That's why sam mentioned "small"  packages specifically.  If your package was a cubic foot or less, then there would have been no cost difference between Priority vs Parcel Select, and no reason to offer a choice.

I understand what you're saying but from the customers point of view, Parcel select shows a little less even on packages under 1 CF. If my customer chooses Parcel it's easy enough to upgrade them to Priority and they always get their shipment earlier than expected which makes them happy.

It's a perception thing...  

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

If you're using the default shipping calculator in your listing then of course there's a price difference because the buyer sees the retail price for Priority. IMHO you are deliberately misleading the buyers by disguising the fact that your cost for an online Priority label costs the same as Parcel Select.

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

Hey, I just follow instructions by putting in the correct weight and dimensions just like I've been doing for over 10 years and ebay does the rest, nothing delibrate about that...

In regards to the OP original question, any shipping discounts i get are minimal at best....I suppose whatever I do get goes towards keeping my auction prices low.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

I don't think many here are understanding the PO's question? The OP's question has nothing to do with what shipping service you use. You have to "opt in" to receive the discount on shipping, which will only show when printing your shipping label.
Message 28 of 39
latest reply

"You have to "opt in" to receive the discount on shipping"

For those who may not know how or where this option is:

Go to "my ebay " click on Account Tab, then click on Shipping Preferences, then on "Offer carrier-specific discounts to buyers".

You have to click YES to opt in and receive them!

I use it because it makes ships costs quite a bit less on some of my items; especially those going a longer distance.

In turn perhaps makes people want to buy from me more. They see cheaper ship costs on my listings... and well everyone wants to save a little if they can!

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

@riverredhat57 wrote:
I don't think many here are understanding the PO's question? The OP's question has nothing to do with what shipping service you use. You have to "opt in" to receive the discount on shipping, which will only show when printing your shipping label.

I think it's you who has misunderstood the question.

The opt-in (under Shipping, in Site preferences) affects the shipping cost that is shown in your listings.   It has no effect on what you are actually charged when you purchase a postage label.  All eBay shipping labels (except Media Mail) automatically charge the discounted online rate.  

The question is about what you charge buyers: The default shipping calculator setting, which is retail; or the discounted online postage rate that all sellers automatically pay for their eBay shipping labels.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply