cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicting messages-Simplified returns, not so simple

Okay- It sure would be nice to get an eBay rep to answer this so the first time it happens, I don't have to call CS and get three different answers.

I'm reading first that if a seller offers free returns ALL categories qualify for 20%-50% holdback (partial refund) upon return. In other places, I'm reading that not ALL categories, just certain categories.  Does anyone have the right answer? 

Second- How does this new return policy apply to buyers remorse? It doesn't appear. You will have access to use the partial refund tool for items that come back used, damaged or missing parts

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I've been going through the same thing you have with the reps but here is what I think your answers are; 

I'm reading first that if a seller offers free returns ALL categories qualify for 20%-50% holdback (partial refund) upon return. In other places, I'm reading that not ALL categories, just certain categories.  Does anyone have the right answer? 

All catagories qualify but some catagories still can have a 15 day return period;

From the Spring Sellers update;

Certain product categories have unique retail standards and sellers will be able to offer variations on the new returns policy options. Categories that will continue have the option to offer 14-day returns include Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo and Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment.

Also they said;

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

I don't know what you are selling but we sell mostly in home improvement and yard garden and outdoor.  That is not the catagory just the section that eBay says we can give back a partial refund if the item is used or damaged.  

Second- How does this new return policy apply to buyers remorse? It doesn't appear. You will have access to use the partial refund tool for items that come back used, damaged or missing parts

When I called as well as others I've talked to even buyers remorse can take advantage of the free return basically ALL returns will be paid for by the seller no matter the reason.  

First Rep I talked to said he was getting a lot of calls and said eBay wants us to do these free returns to make returns easier for the customer.  I advised him we do take good care of our customers.  I've read a lot on here and lots of answers also.  The best one I read though was look at your business model.  We all have returns once in a while.  But do the math.  Since the discount for Top Rated Plus on our sales is only truly about 1% of the item you have to look at your item and your shipping costs to and from and what your current return rate is.  He gave some great examples but i just simplified this to pertain to us.  I looked at the discount we recieved for the last 3 months and I looked at the returns we have had and decided on some items we will offer this.  So for now I put it on all the items I have never had a return on.  I looked at the items that have frequently had problems and studied my listing to see why and revised those listings.  On the ones that we absolutely pay a lot to ship and have a very low profit margin I put no returns.  I checked those listings in detail to make sure each item that I offer no returns on can't claim not as described.  One thing I like is the ability to give back half price for opened items.  In the last year 75% of the returned items we recieved were open.  Some of those can be resold as used.  But with only getting a 20% restocking fee we were lucky to have covered our postage to the customer.  We didn't fight those returns since it isn't worth it to us to have a very upset customer over a 30.00 item but it sounds like going forward at least we would be able to get 50% back.  

Another thing is this doesn't take affect until June 1st.  I put it on some of my items now just so I don't get busy and forget since we are going on vacation for a few days around then.  I also wanted to test the waters a bit to see if we will get more returns or not.  For now if you offer it you can still check the 20% restocking fee.  After June 1st that and the description you have for returns goes away.  

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@e-lek-tron-ics wrote:

Okay- It sure would be nice to get an eBay rep to answer this so the first time it happens, I don't have to call CS and get three different answers.

I also read that the partial refund option was just in certain categories, but then there is this policy under 'Seller Protection Overview'

A returned item has been opened, used, or damaged

When you offer free returns and accept the return:

• You will have access to use the partial refund tool for items that come back used, damaged, or missing parts

No mention of 'certain categories' only. So I too am confused 😮

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Second- How does this new return policy apply to buyers remorse?

I don't understand your question; all returns are Buyer's Remorse.  If they select a "not as described" reason for return, you won't be able to deduct anything.

As far as the categories thing goes, eBay has as usual assigned the copywriting to someone who has no idea what they're talking about.  MY interpretation is that all sellers can deduct a % when items in those specified categories are returned used or damaged, and that sellers who offer free returns can deduct a % on all categories.   But that's just my reading of what is currently written.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply