cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined shipping for 6 items...buyer is returning ONE AT A TIME

SO, apparently there is a loophole in ebay's return system that allows buyer abuse of returns with ebay's blessings it appears.

A buyer purchased 6 videogames from me, 6 different auctions ending the same day.  I combined the invoice, and shipped as one packagin once paid.

The USPS damaged the box, and some or all of the 6 items were damaged.  I told the buyer to put in a return request for all or some of the items and I would approve the return and issue a return label.  They start whining about how unsatisfying an experience, blah blah blah as if this were my fault somehow....i packaged the item VERY securely but only a STEEL BOX would have prevented damage from whatever impact this item received (i shipped in a NEW currugated box with more reinforcement INSIDE the box...it really was as bullet-proof as it could be but of course nothing is REALLY bullet-proof).

Anyway, they respond that they will have to inspect each item very slowly and return them one at a time, thus forcing me to pay return shipping 6 times even though these were shipped together.  I got the first game back with a prepaid return label, and figured that was the only item damaged.  A few hours after I refunded the first game, they requested a return on a second of six games.  Even the behavior is suspect--if they wanted to return multiple items, why are they staggering the returns instead of sending them all back the same day, even if insisting on separate packages, separate labels, separate returns charges.  I did inform them I would only issue one return label and that all items should be included but they ignored that and started a second return just after the first one was refuned.  I can expect this 4 more times as there were a total of six items in the box.  Presumably they were all damaged but I really don't even know if that's the case.

This seems abusive and punitive but ebay states this is how the buyers are instructed to return items!  

Does anyone know if this indeed the process for returning multiple items from different listings but invoiced and shipped together?  I can not find anything that states the buyer is doing the right thing but when I called ebay the supervisor I spoke to said this is how buyers are instructed to return items.

Really disgusted at this point.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

it makes no difference whether they return one or six boxes...i could claim they were all empty etc.

Message 16 of 77
latest reply

This "statement" is exactly why the buyer is returning each one separately.  He doesn't trust you to feel safe in returning them all in one package.  With this "statement" he's probably correct.

You COULD make that claim but since the buyer can prove through tracking that something was sent to you (even an empty box) he will get a refund.

Message 17 of 77
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

This "statement" is exactly why the buyer is returning each one separately.  He doesn't trust you to feel safe in returning them all in one package.  With this "statement" he's probably correct.

You COULD make that claim but since the buyer can prove through tracking that something was sent to you (even an empty box) he will get a refund.

Why are you jumping on the OP?   They are getting hosed by this buyer who is acting like a total crud.  *My* interpretation of that "statement" was that it doesn't matter whether the OP's buyer sends 1 box or 6 boxes........1 box could be empty or all 6 could be empty.  The buyer is accomplishing nothing if they send 6 boxes as opposed to 1 other than costing the OP an arm and a leg.  

Message 18 of 77
latest reply

If the buyer opens just one return, the return is only programmed to refund for that listing plus its prorated shipping: That one return at eBay does not have a button for OP to refund for the other 5 listings. Closing that one return only refunds for one listing.

eBay states that the buyer "must" start a return for each listing "individually" to get 6 tracking numbers for 6 refunds on 6 listings: The words "must" and "individually" are used in that statement.

Message 19 of 77
latest reply

@tarpedge wrote:

If the buyer opens just one return, the return is only programmed to refund for that listing plus its prorated shipping: That one return at eBay does not have a button for OP to refund for the other 5 listings. Closing that one return only refunds for one listing.

eBay states that the buyer "must" start a return for each listing "individually" to get 6 tracking numbers for 6 refunds on 6 listings: The words "must" and "individually" are used in that statement.

I understand that 6 individual return must be opened and accepted by the seller.    But can't the seller issue one label for all the items to be returned together and then the buyer could upload the same tracking number into each return?   

Message 20 of 77
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

@tarpedge wrote:

I understand that 6 individual return must be opened and accepted by the seller.    But can't the seller issue one label for all the items to be returned together and then the buyer could upload the same tracking number into each return?   

Message 21 of 77
latest reply

That is just crazy.   Why on earth wouldn't ebay allow that since the same tracking numbers can be used by sellers who combine shipments from buyers who pay separately?    Isn't it basically the exact same thing? 

Message 22 of 77
latest reply

I think I literally just jinxed myself.   For the very first time since I've sold on this site, I now CANNOT upload a tracking number for a second shipment in which the buyer paid separately but the items are being shipped together.   Fabulous.    @Anonymous  -- can you tell me why 1.  I cannot now input a tracking number onto a 2nd order and .... 2.  Why a seller such as the OP wouldn't be able generate ONE label in which the buyer could then input  the same tracking number into multiple returns?   What is the logic here?  

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 2.01.08 PM.png

Message 23 of 77
latest reply

It's been like that forever~~that's why I don't combine shipping.  If everything is in one package and that package gets damaged all the items most likely will be damaged.  By shipping individually there is much less chance that ALL the items will be damaged.  Then maybe only one item has to be returned~~if any. 

The buyer has to have an individual tracking number for each item he is returning~~he can't use the same tracking number to get 6 refunds.  Actually, it's safer for sellers to ship separate items~~then the buyer can't claim they were shorted anything.  The seller has tracking numbers for each item they sent.

Message 24 of 77
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@e-cheddar wrote:

SO, apparently there is a loophole in ebay's return system that allows buyer abuse of returns with ebay's blessings it appears.

A buyer purchased 6 videogames from me, 6 different auctions ending the same day.  I combined the invoice, and shipped as one packagin once paid.

The USPS damaged the box, and some or all of the 6 items were damaged.  I told the buyer to put in a return request for all or some of the items and I would approve the return and issue a return label.  They start whining about how unsatisfying an experience, blah blah blah as if this were my fault somehow....i packaged the item VERY securely but only a STEEL BOX would have prevented damage from whatever impact this item received (i shipped in a NEW currugated box with more reinforcement INSIDE the box...it really was as bullet-proof as it could be but of course nothing is REALLY bullet-proof).

Anyway, they respond that they will have to inspect each item very slowly and return them one at a time, thus forcing me to pay return shipping 6 times even though these were shipped together.  I got the first game back with a prepaid return label, and figured that was the only item damaged.  A few hours after I refunded the first game, they requested a return on a second of six games.  Even the behavior is suspect--if they wanted to return multiple items, why are they staggering the returns instead of sending them all back the same day, even if insisting on separate packages, separate labels, separate returns charges.  I did inform them I would only issue one return label and that all items should be included but they ignored that and started a second return just after the first one was refuned.  I can expect this 4 more times as there were a total of six items in the box.  Presumably they were all damaged but I really don't even know if that's the case.

This seems abusive and punitive but ebay states this is how the buyers are instructed to return items!  

Does anyone know if this indeed the process for returning multiple items from different listings but invoiced and shipped together?  I can not find anything that states the buyer is doing the right thing but when I called ebay the supervisor I spoke to said this is how buyers are instructed to return items.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I just wanted to clarify that in a return request, the buyer will be provided a label that covers the singular item. Different items, unless sold in a lot, would each have their own return request. While it is a great way to save on shipping costs to send multiple items together, if they were different item numbers then they would not be grouped together in a return without a seller providing an alternative shipping method. 

Have you reached out to your buyer to ask them if they plan on returning the other items? I recommend asking them if the other products they received are in good condition and welcoming a return if they have concerns. You can provide a return label for all of the items and then that tracking number can be discussed in messaging so that both parties are covered in the event a case needs to be escalated to eBay. 

Message 25 of 77
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@e-cheddar wrote:

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I just wanted to clarify that in a return request, the buyer will be provided a label that covers the singular item. Different items, unless sold in a lot, would each have their own return request. While it is a great way to save on shipping costs to send multiple items together, if they were different item numbers then they would not be grouped together in a return without a seller providing an alternative shipping method. 

Have you reached out to your buyer to ask them if they plan on returning the other items? I recommend asking them if the other products they received are in good condition and welcoming a return if they have concerns. You can provide a return label for all of the items and then that tracking number can be discussed in messaging so that both parties are covered in the event a case needs to be escalated to eBay. 

Ah, another reason NOT to combine shipping. 

Message 26 of 77
latest reply

Oh, that's easy, make a label with the weight for the remaining 4,  state the weight for 1 (proof for later) and upload it to the next return request(upload the label as a pic)* so the weight can be shown. State in the note that this label is valid for the 4 items and returning 1 will void all future return of 3. Wait for them to use the label, if one comes back, Contact eBay and state that you have issued the label and according to weight 4 should have been returned ( show a pic of the package you got and whats inside). Give a refund for 1 and state to eBay that you want them to note on your account that you will not be responsible for any future returns opened. Then if they open mores returns, just call eBay and ask them to read the note and close the return out in your favor. Hope this helps 

Message 27 of 77
latest reply

Since buyers are required to have a separate tracking number for each item returned the seller is responsible for issuing a separate return label for each item.  If the buyer is returniing 4 items the seller is required to issue 4 separate shipping labels~~one for each of the 4 TRANSACTIONS.

If you as the seller issue only one label for all 4 items and the buyer only returns one item the buyer is doing as ebay requires him to do in a return situation.  YOU as the seller will end up with 3 unresolved cases since you are required to issue 4 return labels and you only issued one.  The buyer will get a refund for the remaining 3 items AND will not be required to return those 3 items because you did not send the buyer the 3 return labels.

Those 3 unresolved cases will be enough to get a sellers account suspended.  Bad advice.

Message 28 of 77
latest reply

Returning Multiple Packages: 

For each return requested through My eBay, we generally provide one return shipping label. If you find that you need multiple return shipping labels to ship multiple packages back to the seller, contact the seller to make alternate shipping arrangements for the packages.

??????
Message 29 of 77
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@e-cheddar wrote:

Thanks!

they claim they only have time to visually inspect one item out of the six every week or so.....obviously they are gaming the system and ebay has provided the means to do so via their conflicting policy on this situation.  The LEAST they could do is force the buyer to examine ALL items at the same time before starting returns processes.  To allow them to drag this out as a means of harrassment is really inexcuseable.  Will see how it turns out but I'm sure ebay will side with this buyer.

Message 30 of 77
latest reply