cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined shipping and Unresponsive Sellers AND Shopping Cart

I know this is talked about to death.

If I want to buy a quantity of the SAME thing from the SAME seller with calculated shipping, why does the shipping cost combine as well?

Example: I have an item in my cart that seller is charging $2.23 for. Shipping is $6.65. This is reasonable. No problem.

I put 4 in my cart. The cart says $26.60 for shipping. I contacted this same seller last week about combined shipping and never heard back. I can't do "Request Total" in the cart.. message says "You can't request a total for items that require immediate payment."

WHY?  Is there a work around? I'll try to contact the seller again

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Combined shipping and Unresponsive Sellers AND Shopping Cart

@pickermall wrote:

If I want to buy a quantity of the SAME thing from the SAME seller with calculated shipping, why does the shipping cost combine as well?

Example: I have an item in my cart that seller is charging $2.23 for. Shipping is $6.65. This is reasonable. No problem.

I put 4 in my cart. The cart says $26.60 for shipping. I contacted this same seller last week about combined shipping and never heard back. I can't do "Request Total" in the cart.. message says "You can't request a total for items that require immediate payment."

Without being able to see the listing I can only guess

BUT

Most likely it is the seller’s fault, not eBay’s. I see too many sellers enter a flat amount ($6.65) as shipping instead of using calculated shipping. That works fine if a buyer only buys one. But, as you did, if the buyer gets 4 then it is $6.65 times 4

There are 2 choices that the seller SHOULD have used

First, the simplest is to use calculated shipping. eBay adds the weight together and calculates the shipping on that weight.

OR

If the seller wanted to use a flat rate then they should have put (for example) $6.65 plus $1.00 for each additional item. In that case you would have been shown shipping of $9.95 which is reasonable considering that the package would have been a little heavier and a little more expensive to mail.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As a seller, when I sell multiple items the same thing happens. If the option for an invoice comes up, I adjust shipping costs before sending it. If not I issue a refund after I ship the items. Perhaps you can do this.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

did you try to go to the next screen in check out to see what the total is then? The final screen before you pay, not the estimated shopping cart screen.

jp
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@mike_jayroe  - As a seller, I would do this as well. BUT if I can't trust to hear from this seller ahead of time for a simple question, I doubt he will refund the difference in shipping.

@jpmultiserve  Yeah, it's the $26.60 - with no option to contact the seller. This seems to have been an ongoing problem for several years

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

understood. Hope you have better luck with other sellers. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@pickermall wrote:

Without being able to see the listing I can only guess

BUT

Most likely it is the seller’s fault, not eBay’s. I see too many sellers enter a flat amount ($6.65) as shipping instead of using calculated shipping. That works fine if a buyer only buys one. But, as you did, if the buyer gets 4 then it is $6.65 times 4

There are 2 choices that the seller SHOULD have used

First, the simplest is to use calculated shipping. eBay adds the weight together and calculates the shipping on that weight.

OR

If the seller wanted to use a flat rate then they should have put (for example) $6.65 plus $1.00 for each additional item. In that case you would have been shown shipping of $9.95 which is reasonable considering that the package would have been a little heavier and a little more expensive to mail.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply