cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined Shipping - Seller Charges.

Recently I purchased  two items from a seller here on eBay.  

Within the sellers item description, the seller states; regarding combined shipping...  and shipping charges:

DOMESTIC SHIPPING

Sales under $50 -- $1.95

Sales $50 to $250 -- $3.20

Sales $251 to $600 -- $5.00

Sales over $800 -- Registered mail at actual cost

--------------

I, the buyer, am under the assumption from what I've read above, the shipping charges would be $1.95 for a combined invoice that totals under $50..  correct ??

So I message the seller and ask him why he is charging me $3.20..  And his response as follows;

-------------

Individual shipping for the two items was 1.95 x 2 – 3.90. The combined shipping was reduced to 3.20 which is what I charge for shipments that must be sent as small packages per USPS rules. USPS charges from 2.93 to 3.17 (depending on location) for small packages so the 3.20 rate is about as low as I can go without losing money on shipping (including cost of mailer, label, etc.).

--------------

Conclusion:

It's important for sellers on eBay to honor what they place in their items descriptions.  If your a seller who offers discount shipping, as seen above, then honor it !!.  

I know it's only a matter of $1.25 more, no big deal, but when you make hundreds of purchases a year, that $1.25 really starts to add up big time for some buyers here on eBay.  And eBay, you should start cracking down on your sellers who offer shipping discounts and then turn around and refuse them because they fell they are not making money off the buyers..  as seen from the sellers response above.

Just thought I'd point this out for everybody here on eBay, buyer and seller alike.  We are all in this together.

DAC

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Combined Shipping - Seller Charges.

Good point, I agree!  Seller needs to be a more accurate in their listing as I would have come to the same conclusion.  Maybe stating that the shipping cost is PER EACH ITEM and doesn't apply to total cost of all items.  But if that table was clearly in a combined shipping section then there is a clear problem.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply