cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer open a 2nd return request if they miss the first return window?

I, like many, have 60 day, free returns.  Since I've added this return policy, I've had very few returns.  All my returns requests have been "Doesn't fit" (I seel clothes).  

Over the last 2 months, I've had 5 return requests stating item doesn't fit.  With all 5, the buyer never shipped the item and eBay closed the return request.  

Question:  Since I'm offering a 60 day, free return, can the buyer open a 2nd return request after eBay closed the first one because the buyer didn't ship the item?  

Or, does the buyer get one shot at returning the item and if they miss the 5 business day (I think that it the timeframe) window to return it, too bad, they have no return options?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can a buyer open a 2nd return request if they miss the first return window?

To answer your question. NO. The buyer can only open 1 return request. If they miss the return deadline, they cannot open a new return request through eBay. They can however file a not as described dispute with PayPal.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Unfortunately, a PayPal SNAD doesn't fit "doesn't fit" like at eBay.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@jpaul18535 wrote:

I, like many, have 60 day, free returns.  Since I've added this return policy, I've had very few returns.  All my returns requests have been "Doesn't fit" (I seel clothes).  

Over the last 2 months, I've had 5 return requests stating item doesn't fit.  With all 5, the buyer never shipped the item and eBay closed the return request.  

Question:  Since I'm offering a 60 day, free return, can the buyer open a 2nd return request after eBay closed the first one because the buyer didn't ship the item?  

Or, does the buyer get one shot at returning the item and if they miss the 5 business day (I think that it the timeframe) window to return it, too bad, they have no return options?

Wow. I am surprised at a 60 day return policy being popular on ebay. I guess I am not up to date on that. I would not do it in any case. With ebay, if they miss the deadline, they miss the deadline. Here is a link to ebay Help and Support about this issue. I hope it helps. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I want to add to my previous post. For what it's worth, I commend you for the excellent feedback. Great job. With the volume of your listings, that 60 day return must be working for you. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the link but that's pretty much the standard process and info on returns.  It doesn't talk specifically about the buyer opening a 2nd return if the first one gets closed due to the buyer not shipping it back within a week or whatever the window is.  

I wouldn't quite call the 60 day return being popular, it's kind of like calling the mandatory 30 day return being called popular.  More like a necessary evil.  

@mycarolinavintage wrote:

@jpaul18535 wrote:

Wow. I am surprised at a 60 day return policy being popular on ebay. I guess I am not up to date on that. I would not do it in any case. With ebay, if they miss the deadline, they miss the deadline. Here is a link to ebay Help and Support about this issue. I hope it helps. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the nice comment.  My philosophy is, if a buyer wants to take advantage of the system, either through ebay or pay pal, they will find a way to do it rather quickly.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

In my opinion, they should be able to do so right up until the 60 days, but several buyers have reported that there is no such option presented.  I don't know what would happen if they phoned eBay CS.  I do know that they can go on to file with paypal and/or credit card.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

To answer your question. NO. The buyer can only open 1 return request. If they miss the return deadline, they cannot open a new return request through eBay. They can however file a not as described dispute with PayPal.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@jpaul18535 wrote:

Ebay does NOT allow a buyer to open a 2nd claim and they can only file a claim for about 30 days after they receive the item.  They get one chance.  The only exception is those that have filed and INR, if after they receive the item they find something wrong with it, they can have it changed to a SNAD.

However keep in PPs rules are different.  There they have 6 months to file a claim.  I'm not sure I'd worry about that too much as it sounds like you are doing great.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 9
latest reply