cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer says didn't get item though tracking says delivered

My buyer sent two messages saying they didn't get the item and it was supposed to be delivered today. (I didn't get either message til 4 hours later due to eBay's delay in forwarding to email.)

Anyway I checked the tracking and the package was delivered today at 1:04 pm. Since I have proof of tracking, which I sent to them, what is my next step? After 17 years selling on eBay I have a 100% positive feedback rate and I don't want to lose it. Need reasonable advice as to next steps. 

Thannks!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Buyer says didn't get item though tracking says delivered

If they file a claim, you will have the information that shows delivered and you should be fine. If was more than I think $750 and you didn't use a signature on delivery there could be a problem.

I would reach out to buyer and let them know that the carrier states delivery and that they should check with neighbors, family, etc. to see if anyone else picked it up. Happens a lot. They should also check with the carrier. Or maybe you can as well to get any potential other information.

The clock is ticking on the buyer. Think they have like 30 days from  expected delivery to make the claim.

I would sya basically you are in good shape re: the money side. Could leave a negative maybe?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

if your tracking shows delivered to the buyers address on file with ebay you win your case 100%. upload the tracking to any case and wait for the email saying  the case was found in favor of you and no refund to the buyer. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me last week.  Buyer contacted me telling me that tracking says it's delivered but they never got it.  I contacted the buyer and told them that I was filing a missing mail report with the post office, so please give me a few days to see what they can do about it.  I quickly filed a missing mail report on a Friday, and within 12 hours I got a message from a person-in-charge who worked at the post office that the package was delivered from, and they said they would try to find the package.  On the third day I got an email from the buyer & he included a photo of his package that had been delivered that day (Monday).  Sometimes the tracking is wrong.

Even though it says delivered it never hurts to file a missing mail report with the post office.   Maybe you'll get lucky like I did.   Don't give up!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@aquaschwa wrote:

My buyer sent two messages saying they didn't get the item and it was supposed to be delivered today. (I didn't get either message til 4 hours later due to eBay's delay in forwarding to email.)

Anyway I checked the tracking and the package was delivered today at 1:04 pm. Since I have proof of tracking, which I sent to them, what is my next step? After 17 years selling on eBay I have a 100% positive feedback rate and I don't want to lose it. Need reasonable advice as to next steps. 

Thannks!

You have nothing to be concerned about. That delivered scan is gold to a seller. It is all you need to succeed in your case. You should reply to your buyer with some kindly advice because keep in mind they can always leave you negative feedback. Say how sorry you are that they didn't receive their item. Tell them to contact their local postmaster to check the GPS as the tracking shows it was delivered. Tell them to check with their neighbors as someone may have kindly taken it in for them. Make sure you sound as if you are on their side. Don't get into who is right or wrong here. 

If they want a refund just tell them to open an item not received case. Then all you have to do is place the tracking in the case once you receive notice of it. Tracking will show delivered and case will be closed in your favor. Then buyer is out of options at that time. Just follow the procedures and keep an eye on timelines. Best of luck to you....

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

But the buyer can still leave a negative FB.  However, the feedback rating is measured on a rolling 1  year - so the red hickey goes away.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

This is the first time this has happened to you in 17 years, wow! I got 3 of these just this past month! "lamber9347" is correct in stating that you are covered because the tracking shows as delivered. Also correct that the buyer can leave negative feedback. But there are two things you can do to work around that. 1)  Call eBay customer service and give them the tracking number, that is already in the system.  They will immediately, right then, close the case in your favor, release funds that are on hold and delete any negative feedback pertaining to this case and also block the buyer from posting any feedback, period, if they haven't already. 2) Don't wait the three days, immediately "Ask eBay to step in and help".  Provide the tracking number with a brief explanation, and you'll get the same results as 1) but it will take a couple hours. Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@aquaschwa 

What the others are not telling you is that the buyer (or you) can contact the shipping company and get the GPS coordinates (address) of where the package was scanned as delivered.  IF that address does not match the address on the order then the seller is liable and will have to refund the buyer.  There are specific steps a buyer needs to follow to provide that "proof" to eBay, but if done properly the buyer wins.  Point is that seller is responsible to see to it that the item is delivered to the buyer and when the shipping company messes up, seller is responsible.

Now one negative FB score isn't the end of the world as OP have noted.  But hey, we see many sellers who are TERRIFIED of getting one red donut and will jump through all kinds of hoops to avoid it!  So if that is your primary motivation , then write the buyer and tell the you will be giving them a FULL REFUND.  Then go into Seller Hub, find the order and refund the buyer.  That should stave off a negative, but won't guarantee it!

So hopefully buyer doesn't know how to work the system or you can just refund them and avoidthe whole issue.  No right answer, only what works for you.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@no_zero369 

Thank you for the information regarding the confirmation of GPS coordinates to confirm delivery.  In your experience, is this a service that USPS, FedEx, and UPS all provide?  Is that information that the standard customer service tech can access when contacting them via phone? Or is that particular data something that would take them 2-3 days to eventually respond by email?  I see this as being valuable for both buyers and sellers.  Ultimately, if someone didn't get their order, I want to make things right. Period.  But, I'm starting to get a little jaded by all the scamming going  on and I see myself putting up a little wall from the get go of a new "complaint".

One last question, how does an almost 2-1/2 year member on ebay have such valuable information, yet doesn't have one feedback for either selling or buying? Are you an eBay Ninja?  If so, please DM me. I have an issue that seems unbeatable for sellers to win. 

Thank you.

Chris

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@cadbury0007 wrote:

I contacted the buyer and told them that I was filing a missing mail report with the post office, so please give me a few days to see what they can do about it. 

IMO, it is not a good idea to tell the buyer to wait a few days.  Again, IMO, it is a good idea for the buyer to go to his post office (or call) as soon as he can, because he has the information about his own residence, mailbox, etc. that a carrier may need to help locate where the package was actually delivered.  It is best for the buyer to ask as soon as possible while the carrier's memory may still be fresh.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Good of you to add some extra information!  I left out the part that I had asked the buyer to follow up with his local post office and with his carrier too.  That's just common sense, and it didn't occur to me at the time that it needed to be mentioned.  But, in my case, it was a good idea to reach out since the buyer was a long-time repeat purchaser, and I wanted him to know that we were working on the problem from two different directions.  The point I was trying to make, is that even though you would win the case of an 'item not received', why not reach out to let them know you are willing to go the extra mile?   A person could easily say 'it's not my problem, tracking shows delivered'.  Seems like you would lose that person of ever coming back for more.  ; )  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@wes3936 wrote:

@no_zero369 

Thank you for the information regarding the confirmation of GPS coordinates to confirm delivery.  In your experience, is this a service that USPS, FedEx, and UPS all provide?  Is that information that the standard customer service tech can access when contacting them via phone? Or is that particular data something that would take them 2-3 days to eventually respond by email?  I see this as being valuable for both buyers and sellers.  Ultimately, if someone didn't get their order, I want to make things right. Period.  But, I'm starting to get a little jaded by all the scamming going  on and I see myself putting up a little wall from the get go of a new "complaint".

@wes3936 

YES!  A major shipping companies give their delivery personnel little hand scanners and require them to scan the package bar code as the deliver the package. The scanners have GPS in them and record those coordinates as the package is scanned.  Of course the GPS coordinates then correlate to an an address.  This gives the carrier proof of delivery and defense against claims of lack of service.

IF you are dealing with FE or UPS then probably a tech could see that info.  Starting to see where they are no longer giving the address out where an item was delivered. So one has to get them to state misdelivery.

With the USPS you have to go find the Supervisor over the carriers.  The clerks at the windows may not be empowered to do that.  I usually go find the "Day Supervisor" and ask where item was scanned as delivered.  I am just now getting push back, which is about to be dealt with by a letter to the PM or a filing of employee misconduct with the USPS Postal Inspector.  But hey, I'm like a dog with a bone - do your job and your a fine, tell me a bunch of garbage and don't follow through.....

As a seller, I usually watch tracking numbers for delivery.  I just assume the carrier does their job, unless a buyer squawks.   But if I see something get hung up or take an across country tour, I contact the buyer, let hem know I am on the "case" and start searches with the carriers.  Many sellers are afraid of buyers and will tell you 'don't poke the bear."   I like competing against "ship it & forget it" sellers as they have no clue what is customer service.

Don't get jaded by the scamming.  When I started selling I was listing things that required Signature Confirmation.  When I saw all of the ways I could lose stuff, it scared me and I almost quit selling!  But instead, spend a fair amount of time debating sellers on these threads and learned a few things that made life easier and allowed me to continue to sell.  Gotta have a plan so this is "just business" and not personal.

@wes3936 wrote:

@no_zero369 

One last question, how does an almost 2-1/2 year member on ebay have such valuable information, yet doesn't have one feedback for either selling or buying? Are you an eBay Ninja?  If so, please DM me. I have an issue that seems unbeatable for sellers to win. 

Thank you.

Chris

This name no_zero369 is what is called a "Posting ID."  eBay allows and individual to have several IDs on its platform.  So some sellers have IDs that they only use for posting in the Community.  Point is that we live in a "Cancel Culture" where anyone who feels "offended" by a post on a board, feels like they have to "cancel" the other person and are not satisfied until they cause real damage or harm to another.  No application of the Golden Rule with many these days.  Therefore, to avoid business interference one uses a Posting ID.

I could go out and buy a bunch of stuff on this ID just to run up a number next to my name, but I intentionally don't.  I am of the mindset that you look at the quality of the advice and a persons character, rather than a label, color, creed, sex, icon, etc.  Good advice comes in all flavors here and there are MANY knowledgeable posters who contribute their knowledge and experience. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply