cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested different shipping address

Buyer requested that I ship to different address than approved ebay/Paypal address (different person's name and address in different state).

I explained to buyer that I am suppose to send to address on file, and doing otherwise voids my Seller Protection.

Additionally, there is no way for me to alter ebay shipping label. If I hand write address, I will end up losing too much money paying USPS retail counter price (vs the pre-printed label that comes with USPS discount).

Buyer stated she does this (requests different address) all the time, and never had a problem from any other seller.

Can anyone provide links on ebay policy for (1) shipping to address on file and (2) shipping elsewhere violates Seller Protection. All I came up with is "While you're not required to ship to a confirmed address, address confirmation is useful because it provides a way for a seller to verify a buyer's identity."

Thank you 🙂

Make good use of spare time.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer requested different shipping address

Buyers are supposed to specify a delivery address during check-out BEFORE they pay. It can be any address. A "confirmed" address used to be the address that appears on a bank statement or credit card statement. Obviously, this does not work for sending gifts, delivering to a workplace or sending orders to people who travel. So there's no such thing as a confirmed address any more.

Personally, I have 6 addresses, including those of relatives and friends, stored in Paypal. There's a "change" button" to select the one I want to use.

That said, eBay will support an "after-the fact" written request in eBay messages to send the order to a different address. If the postage amount is different, the seller would have to send an invoice for the extra amount or issue a partial refund. But Paypal cannot see eBay messages and would rely solely on the "OK to ship" address shown on the Paypal transaction details screen.

I suggest you tell the buyer that he/she loses BUYER protection when the Paypal ship-to address is not correct. Perhaps you can cancel the order because of buyer's address, refund the payment and ask the buyer to start over. You'll have to pay an extra $0.30 Paypal fee for the 2nd payment.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

From Paypal: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

What are the requirements for Seller Protection?

Initial Requirements
  • Ship to the address on the Transaction Details page. If the item was sold through your site, make sure you’re shipping the item to a confirmed address.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Buyers are supposed to specify a delivery address during check-out BEFORE they pay. It can be any address. A "confirmed" address used to be the address that appears on a bank statement or credit card statement. Obviously, this does not work for sending gifts, delivering to a workplace or sending orders to people who travel. So there's no such thing as a confirmed address any more.

Personally, I have 6 addresses, including those of relatives and friends, stored in Paypal. There's a "change" button" to select the one I want to use.

That said, eBay will support an "after-the fact" written request in eBay messages to send the order to a different address. If the postage amount is different, the seller would have to send an invoice for the extra amount or issue a partial refund. But Paypal cannot see eBay messages and would rely solely on the "OK to ship" address shown on the Paypal transaction details screen.

I suggest you tell the buyer that he/she loses BUYER protection when the Paypal ship-to address is not correct. Perhaps you can cancel the order because of buyer's address, refund the payment and ask the buyer to start over. You'll have to pay an extra $0.30 Paypal fee for the 2nd payment.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Just tell them that the way to do this is to add her alternate address to her PayPal account and when she pays she can select that one. (I do it all the time).

If she hasn't paid that's what she should do. If she has paid tell her you will cancel (using problem with buyers address) and relist so she can buy it again and change her address. 

Depending on the attitude I get back, I have canceled and blocked before.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@kate_lily_cache wrote:

Can anyone provide links on ebay policy

No, sorry, no one can provide links to eBay policy.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-not-received.html#provide

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Additionally, there is no way for me to alter ebay shipping label. If I hand write address, I will end up losing too much money 

How is there no way for you to alter the eBay shipping label? You click "change" in the "Ship To" area on the label, and change the buyer's name, address, whatever 'til the cows come home.

(actually been veering off into a side thought experiment about shipping a fruitcake to Grandma using another buyer's transaction in another thread that involves changing the "ship to" address)

As far as if it's a good idea, I leave that to the posts of the others and your reading of the policy provided. (I have done it on low $ transactions with buyer's that seemed on the up and up in the past with zero issues - it's only a problem if you run into a scammer)

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I suggest you tell the buyer that he/she loses BUYER protection when the Paypal ship-to address is not correct.

How does the buyer lose protection when a seller ships to an address other than the one provided on the payment details? 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

I suggest you tell the buyer that he/she loses BUYER protection when the Paypal ship-to address is not correct.

How does the buyer lose protection when a seller ships to an address other than the one provided on the payment details? 

I wondered the same thing since it's the SELLER that loses protection! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If I were you, I would not do anything that would put my Seller Protection in jeapordy - and it does not matter to me if it were an item that cost $1.00 or 1k and up.  If she has done it in the past, then good for her.  If you want to forefiet your seller protection, then ship as the buyer requested . . . however, should something go wrong, there will be no recourse for you to take . . . eBay nor Pay Pal will be able to help and there would be nothing to report the buyer for.

Best of luck!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If it was an inexpensive item I would ship it any where the buyer wants.   

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

Obviously they don't.  But I bet if a seller said that 100 buyers, at least 75 would believe it.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 11
latest reply