cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer refused package how would you handle

Hello!

So buyer sends in offer, I accept and ship. Later in the evening, I get an email from her asking to cancel transaction she didn't see a blemish in one of the photos, the boots are not in excellent condition as stated. She wants a full refund. First I looked at the photos, I don't see a blemish but ok. Maybe she's seeing the reflection of my hands in one of the photos? I email her and tell her, my photos are part of the description, it's not possible for me to describe every detail but if I see an issue I disclose it along with detailed photos. These boots are in excellent condition. IF she finds an issue she can let me know exactly what and where. I will refund item price minus shipping and restocking fee. She responds she will refuse package and wants full refund. I looked at tracking she refused package How can you state item not as described when you haven't even seen the item? What would you do? 

Here is the ended listing-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/277-Totes-Women-Size-9-Lisa-Waterproof-Winter-Snow-Rain-Fleece-Boot-Black/1...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Buyer refused package how would you handle

You need to familiarize yourself with eBay rules.

Had she contacted you prior to shipping, you should have given her the refund and move on.

As it is, when you get the item back, relist and move on. Life is too short.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If she refused the package she lost buyer protection
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for quick response! 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I've been selling for 15 years, what ebay rule did I miss? I got her message almost 12 hours after shipping the item.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Your will refund her in full minus the restocking fee.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@greenbunny78 wrote:

I've been selling for 15 years, what ebay rule did I miss? I got her message almost 12 hours after shipping the item.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Generally, the buyer is responsible for accepting the item when it arrives. If the buyer refuses delivery, their claim is not eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Exceptions:

• The buyer can provide, via written proof from the carrier, that they refused the package because it arrived empty or was damaged in shipping.

• The buyer accepted and opened the package only to determine that it was an empty box.

• The item arrived COD because it didn't have enough postage on it

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I wasn't suggesting that you missed anything, just that with something like this, the "how do I handle this" should be dictated by the rules as set forth by ebay far more than what is right or wrong. Just make sure to dot your i's and cross your t's. eBay rules can be funny.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

This is becoming a common way for buyers to deal with Buyer's Remorse.  Happened to me recently, and my buyer waited for two days after I shipped to request cancellation.  Then she went through the Returns system and gave a false Tracking number when she had actually just refused the package.  Very frustrating.

When the package comes back, check the item.  Then refund the price of the item but not the postage.

By the way, you may have to pay for the return postage on some packages.  Wish I could remember the rules on that one but can't so maybe someone else can help with that--I think First Class and Priority are okay but Parcel isn't.  This also happened to me once with an item that I had to pay about $30 in return postage when the package came back after the buyer refused it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

This is becoming a common way for buyers to deal with Buyer's Remorse.  Happened to me recently, and my buyer waited for two days after I shipped to request cancellation.  Then she went through the Returns system and gave a false Tracking number when she had actually just refused the package.  Very frustrating.

When the package comes back, check the item.  Then refund the price of the item but not the postage.

By the way, you may have to pay for the return postage on some packages.  Wish I could remember the rules on that one but can't so maybe someone else can help with that--I think First Class and Priority are okay but Parcel isn't.  This also happened to me once with an item that I had to pay about $30 in return postage when the package came back after the buyer refused it.

FC and Priority will return at no cost. Parcel and Media Mail are not free return. If you want them back you have to pay the postage due amount.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

FC and Priority will return at no cost. Parcel and Media Mail are not free return. If you want them back you have to pay the postage due amount.

Thanks.  That's what I had thought but I didn't like to state for certain without being sure.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply