cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer provided wrong address, item Returning to Sender, what to do?

Hello everyone,

a buyer provided the wrong address for the order and now the item is being returned. I reached out to the buyer and he stated it was his oopsie and provided the correct address. Should I resend the item and provide the new tracking? Should I instead cancel the order and refund minus shipping fees? What would you all do in my case? Thanks !

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It is up to you whether you want to pay for shipping again but you are not required to.

You can either refund in full  or refund less the shipping amount. If the buyer still wants the item they can purchase the item again. 

Or you can ask them to send the money for shipping through a service like Paypal or Venmo.

Or, you can make a listing just for the cost of the reshipping.

For me, it would probably depend on the cost of the shipping and how much I had made on the item.  I don't really have a definitive answer.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Would I be protected by eBay if I simply sent the item to the new address the buyer sent via eBay message?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

For seller protection, and this is extremely important. The buyer must repurchase the item with the new send to address coming up in the sales record. That address needs to be added to their account. If you just resend this item using the new address it will not have seller protection if they claim not received.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Absolutely no protection.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Wait for the return to get to you. Refund the amount MINUS THE FAILED SHIPPING ATTEMPT. RELIST the item again, have them make sure they have the correct address on their account at this time.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Actually since it's RTS that voids MBG so the seller does have protection since the buyer lost his privilege for return.

However, no protection for chargeback.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Only reship if buyer pays shipping a 2nd time. Relisting & reselling would be the most complete method for buyer protection. In terms of seller protection, as previously mentioned, returned voids the MBG for the buyer. Technically, you do not need to refund anything. For good will & professionalism, refunding minus shipping would be recommended. Before refunding, inspect to make sure package was not tampered with.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Update: the buyer understood it was his fault and agreed to allow me to receive the package, refund everything minus shipping, Relist and we would honor the offer for the item we initially agreed on. Seems like the right thing to do for all parties. Thanks much everyone!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply